Plus sizing tires and wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this day and age of tire shops telling you what you can and can't run on your vehicle (due to liability issues), have you been denied by any tire places from trying to upsize your tires and wheels? I see all of these ghetto vehicles running around with these giant 22"-24" tires and wheels and I have to wonder which tire places are installing these things. None of the tire places I use would install them. I wonder if these guys are installing these huge diameter tires and wheels themselves?

Yup, non franchised mom and pop still does it. They have nothing worth suing for and can close down the operation as soon as a lawyer shows up, so ambulance chaser won't bother.

Not only will shops that I frequent, NOT install larger tires/wheels, they won't install a lower speed rating(even in the same size) on a vehicle.

For the winter, I have "T" rated all season tires on my '15 Altima 2.5 SV(which came with Michelin MXV4-"V" rated tires) and the "T's" out handle the "V's" and feel more stable. I don't believe that this car needs "V" rated rubber however it is, what it is!

This Altima won't reach/or I won't get it to speeds that would put me in danger. It kills me that I am forced to install the more expensive "V" rating when in fact, I'd like to get a "T" or "H" next tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Not only will shops that I frequent, NOT install larger tires/wheels, they won't install a lower speed rating(even in the same size) on a vehicle.

For the winter, I have "T" rated all season tires on my '15 Altima 2.5 SV(which came with Michelin MXV4-"V" rated tires) and the "T's" out handle the "V's" and feel more stable. I don't believe that this car needs "V" rated rubber however it is, what it is!

This Altima won't reach/or I won't get it to speeds that would put me in danger. It kills me that I am forced to install the more expensive "V" rating when in fact, I'd like to get a "T" or "H" next tire.

I can see places refusing to install the ghetto sized tires and wheels, but insisting on a particular speed rating is going overboard...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
They go to places like this

Looks like a tire place one would see along old US-85 in Barelas neighborhood in Albuquerque. Looking good ese.

I go to this place called Juan's Tires that looks similar to the picture above. No problemos.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I can see places refusing to install the ghetto sized tires and wheels, but insisting on a particular speed rating is going overboard...

If someone file a lawsuit of completely irreverent nature and the Judge is not knowledgeable enough to dismiss it out right away, it is a legal cost liability, and a business large enough to attract such ambulance chaser will try to protect itself by accepting only the safest work.

Welcome to America.

Originally Posted By: grampi

Yeah, it's all about liabilities. I wish the mfg's gave the buyer a choice to get(option pkg) higher speed rated tires if they want them and just install a speed rating that is really appropriate for the actual car.

My Altima for example(4 cyl/CVT) doesn't need anything more than a nice tire in "T" or "H". It's kind of a loafy car and I like that. I do like the MXV4's that came OE on this car as even at a "V" speed rating, they out ride and are quieter/quietest tire I've ever had. But, the MXV4's don't corner as well as the tires I have now("T") nor are the MXV4's track on the hiwy as well.

The particular "T"s that I slapped on(Cooper CS4's from my previous car), feel more performance oriented indeed but, lack the refinement of the Michelin no doubt.

I just take the wheels in off the car And take them in loose. Been like that for the last 10 years at least.

I think the rules get put in place to also make up for some of the low wage tire shop help that don't know/care about doing things right. You used to be able to go get a good deal on tires for your pick-up at places like Wal-Mart...because the "tech" would only look at the size and then sell you "P" tires instead of "LT" tires. Guess what happens when the customer decides to do truck type things with the "P" tires?

It's a shame it's gotten this way.

I think even those larger chains stores would mount loose wheels and tires if you brought them in off the car.

I brought my -1 sized eBay tires and Craigslist wheels in to be mounted at a corner mom & pop just because it was cheaper.

I've never tried, but couldn't you hop on TireRack and order pre-mounted 20" tires and wheels to be delivered to your door?

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I think even those larger chains stores would mount loose wheels and tires if you brought them in off the car.

I brought my -1 sized eBay tires and Craigslist wheels in to be mounted at a corner mom & pop just because it was cheaper.

I've never tried, but couldn't you hop on TireRack and order pre-mounted 20" tires and wheels to be delivered to your door?
I went with 1+ rims and tires on my Accent and ordered them from Tire Rack mounted and balanced. But even Tire rack if you tell them what car it is going on will not sell you tires or wheels that aren't close to OE size. Even to the point that the Accent came with both 14" and 16" wheels. But they won't sell you the 16" if you tell them you have the 14" OE.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
They go to places like this

Looks like a tire place one would see along old US-85 in Barelas neighborhood in Albuquerque. Looking good ese.

They're all over the place in Phoenix..

ls.jpg

.. many/most of them even seem to make used tires a major part of their business.

I usually remove my wheels from the vehicle and bring them to the tire shop in another vehicle if I need a balance. Only issue I have had is shops not wanting to mount a narrow tire on a wide wheel even if it is within the realm of safety as stated by the major brands.

I have had tons of shops tell me they won't align my mr2 because of modified ride height and modified suspension components and non oem camber adjustment.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I go to this place called Juan's Tires that looks similar to the picture above. No problemos.

Same here...

Garcia's Tire on north 19th in Waco, across from Autozone.

Hmmmm. I bought my current wheels and tires at a Discount Tire shop.

Stock size is 265/75/15
Size that came with my Colorado: 245/70/17
Size I had put on: 265/70/16

DT didn't bat an eyelash at me changing sizes as both of the bigger sizes are listed as plus 1 and plus 2 on their website.

back when i had the neon, I ordered tires(Pirelli P4's) from tire rack, had 'em shipped to the local ford dealer, for install.
I bought the OE size.
I had bought the car from my brother, and he had his local Discount Tire (I don't remember the sizes, it was forever ago) shorter and wider tire on, apparently he had some hydroplaning issues with the stock rubber...

so I'm sitting in the lobby waiting on the install, and the service advisor comes out looking concerned "The Tires you ordered are a different size than what's on the car!" Oh Noes!

He calmed right down once i assured him the new ones were the OE size.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I just take the wheels in off the car And take them in loose. Been like that for the last 10 years at least.

I too have done and continue to do this in order to avoid the issues we've discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back