First Impressions: Michelin Latitude Sport 3

2cz1vcx.jpg

Size: 255/60R17 106 V
Country of Origin: Poland
Treadwear: 220
Traction: AA
Temperature: A

34dl85s.jpg

Some of you may recall my previous post asking if anyone had any experience with these. Since I got them, I thought I'd post a very brief, initial review.

Ever since I got my Envoy, I've had a set of British-made Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires and a set of Mexican-made Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season Plus tires. The Verde All-Season Plus certainly had a very positive impact on ride quality, but the Verde was a better performer where cornering was concerned, particularly on wet roads. Braking was equally good on both tires, and they were both relatively quiet. The Verde had a stiffer ride than the Verde All-Season.

261jhif.jpg

This time I went with Michelins, and currently have about 1,800 miles on them. The first thing I immediately noticed with the Michelins was braking. The grip is just legendary. On certain road surfaces where ABS used to kick in sometimes, I've noticed it no longer does. Having also driven in wet conditions the past couple of days, I feel much more confident when it comes to emergency stops - particularly in wet, muddy conditions. I've noticed less wheel spin under sudden, aggressive acceleration from standstill and traction control hasn't had to kick in as much. One of the biggest problems here is the very fine, powdery sand that coats the surface of every road and often results in loss of traction. Rain makes it much worse.

They do feel a bit on the soft side in comparison to both Pirellis, especially when it comes to cornering, despite running the same tire pressures (36 PSI). Perhaps that is the only downside for me, although these tires do run quieter and ride comfort is excellent to say the least - even with stiffer springs and Bilsteins on all four corners.

Although too early to comment on longevity, I tend to replace my tires every 2-3 years due to weather conditions, so I don't think I will have these any longer than that. But I do quite like them, particularly where braking and comfort are concerned, so I may very well opt for a second set when the time comes around.

Many thanks for the review.

Are you allowed to speed about Kuwait? I'm assuming that country is either a town or "wide open countryside".

A 220 tread life rating on a "V" tire means SPEED to me.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I had a set of Michelin Hydro Edge on the car at one time. Solid concrete wheels would have ridden softer.

Had those on a 2010 Mustang … a bit firm but what they were supposed to be in the rain …

Since you remove them from service mainly due to age, maybe a bit more air pressure will solve the softness in the corners, like 40-44psi. You might lose treadwear but if you're not running them for that many miles it probably wont effect you.
I usually run my summer tires about 40 instead of 35 specified for the same reason.

Last edited:
Thought I'd post an update, since I am looking to replace these soon.

A little over three years and 21,975 miles on them now, with roughly 1/8″ of remaining tread depth. They've been road force balanced and rotated (cross first then back to front next rotation) every 6,250 miles, running 36-37 PSI. This is something I've always done. Not that it makes any difference, but they were nitrogen inflated by the Michelin dealer when installed and have been ever since at no charge by them.

The grip is legendary, something I noticed right off the bat with braking. ABS had the tendency to kick in on certain road surfaces, and it no longer does with these. They do ride softer than the two sets of Pirellis I've had before, this is especially noticeable when cornering. On the plus side, however, ride comfort is excellent - even with stiffer springs and Bilsteins on all four corners, and they certainly run quieter.

While I usually replace tires every three years at most due to age, my last set of Scorpion Verde All-Season Plus tires had 2/32" remaining tread depth when they were replaced with 19,140 miles on them. Wasn't particularly impressed by those to be honest, and they were in service for two years. The Scorpion Verdes, which sadly I cannot get anymore, had 39,572 miles on them at the time of replacement with close to 2/32" remaining tire depth; they were also in service for two years and that was an excellent tire.

At this point, I will probably get a second set of Michelins. I guess I've come to enjoy the softer, quieter ride, although I'm not expecting much in terms of tread life.

As they say in the tire business, "There's Michelin and then there're all other tires." I've owned bimmers since, well let's say a really long time. The only brand of tire on my cars is Michelin.

Back