Ever sell used tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
I've always run tires until I was done with them, and then replaced them.

But the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L that came as OE on my Tundra are not very good in snow. When I had it in Colorado, for its first year, it was unpleasant to drive in the snow.

They're good tires otherwise. They have 10/32" tread remaining (the truck has 9,000 miles on it). I've got several trips in the Northeast coming up this winter (Vermont). A pickup on weak tires isn't my idea of winter fun (it's not about going, the truck is 4WD, it's about stopping and turning)

As I consider options, including a dedicated set of wheels and tires for winter, one of the options is to replace them. So, a set of 275/55R20 tires with that kind of tread remaining has to have some value.

If I choose to just replace the Duelers, how would you recommend that I sell them? And for what kind of price?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I’ve sold used tires for years. You should be able to get up to $400. Advertise them on your local Facebook selling pages or in the craigslist, etc

You are not going to get top dollar for used tires. People don't go looking on craigslist for used tires at $350 for a set of 4. There are exceptions like if you have good Micky Thompson Mud Ringers or what not. Might seem like they are getting a great deal and they might be. You looking for used tires on craigslist yourself? It's craigslist, not Craigslist.

Do you want the liability of selling those tires to someone and winding up in a law suit if something happens? No. There great tires otherwise? Well if that is true set them aside and put them back on next spring on another set of wheels.

Last edited:
I would prefer to avoid the liability, but I would also prefer to avoid having to store used tires.

We've got a modest house by the beach, no basement, no room for extra stuff. So, I would be willing to find a place for a second set of wheels/tires, but would prefer to avoid just tires.

Further, it costs about $100 each time I swap them on/off, so the savings in keeping and running them is offset by the cost of mounting and balancing twice a year.

Last edited:
Here in the North East, I like to change out my tires early and sell off my used tires while they're still saleable. Sell to someone who is interested in decent tire cheap. Sometime people only want 2 tires but will take all 4 and change'em out when needed. I typically sell 4 tires w/5-6 32nds(dependent) for $10-$20/tire. Again, depending on overall condition/tread etc.

I would keep my tires longer if I never ran into snow. But, since I prefer to only use an A/S tire year'round and don't usually run winter tires, I prefer to change out tires earlier than later.

List for 50 -60$ each and they will be gone in the first day or two. Just list the date code and tread depth to start with some good pics and they will be gone quick. I've always priced them so the first guy that shows up, buys them.

Facebook sell them at about half the price of what you can get them for new, will sell the first day if you are in a good facebook yardsale page.

There's also apps called offerup and let go. Start with a higher price then go lower unless you absolutely need them gone. People will haggle with you even over a lower price so it's best start above the actual amount you want. Again start by selling them for what they are worth or a little below that. If no one bites lower the price until they do.

I've bought and sold used tires off CL. A pleasant experience every time. I would search similar used make/size tires on your local CL and price them accordingly. Getting $400 would be near impossible in my area for these. More like $250.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Do you want the liability of selling those tires to someone and winding up in a law suit if something happens? No. There great tires otherwise? Well if that is true set them aside and put them back on next spring on another set of wheels.

What about selling a used car or bike or gas grill? Everything we do has some level of risk or liability attached to it. If you'll lie awake worrying about it give them to a tire shop.

Agree about the price. I sold the 4000 mile Bridgestones off the Silverado for $225 after a month on CL.

Put them up on CL, easy. When Ive traded cars and were left with good snows, selling on CL was very easy.

Buy some BFG AT KO2s and drive happy.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Everything we do has some level of risk or liability attached to it. If you'll lie awake worrying about it give them to a tire shop.

And the tire shop will happily take them and charge a tire disposal fee for each one no matter how nice the tires are. Then they may sell them or get some sort of kickback from someone else. Even Discount Tire has some used tires in back. Which I've seen first hand.

As far as selling goes, just mention all the details like depth, date, no patches or plugs, perfectly fine, pictures, price them to move quick but be patient. Now should be a good time to sell since drivers want decent tires for winter. Quality used tires are hard to find. I was looking for some a few months ago but just bought some on Amazon for $195 shipped for 4 Nokians in size 205/55R16.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
And the tire shop will happily take them and charge a tire disposal fee for each one no matter how nice the tires are. Then they may sell them or get some sort of kickback from someone else.

Obviously you don't have Hispanic tire shops. If a shop wanted to charge a disposal fee for good tires move on. Main point is it's easy to sell good tires if you can handle the liability.

If I have a set of tires that are still usable, I just ask my tire dealer what they will give me for them, towards a new set of tires.

I might get more selling them to someone from Craigslist, etc. who might also be casing my home, while there ostensibly to look at the tires. But I value my time, and home security, too much to do that.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I might get more selling them to someone from Craigslist, etc. who might also be casing my home, while there ostensibly to look at the tires. But I value my time, and home security, too much to do that.

Meet at the local police station parking lot for the sale. Weeds out most of the criminals esp if they have active warrants. I had a seller that wanted to do that with me. No problem here.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back