old and easy or new and complex?

Went to CA's DMV website to renew car registration and see they have two choices:

Renew vehicle registration (easy)
Renew vehicle registration (complex) NEW!

Tough choice. I like new things, but new things that complex, not so much.

The correct choice was stick with the old, easy way.

If you renew by mail, make sure it gets postmarked before the expiration date. Took about 3 weeks to get my tags thru the mail.
Not hard, but I'm used to doing it at AAA- not an option now

New - renew on line. Old - go to DMV. I chose new.

Took me 10 minutes. Registration & stickers arrived a week later, even during lockdown.

I'm liking new.

I can't even drive to DMV in 10 minutes, and I won't miss the hours-long sit in a hard plastic chair while waiting for my number to be called.

New is better.

Much, much better.

Come on Astro, you love the Virginia DMV retail experience. Those old orange chairs, the big red number board that taunts you for not coming in an hour earlier, the attendant that has not had a customer come to their window in over 20 minutes but has to take a break because their BFF just texted them. What's not to love?

Pleasantly surprised with Missouri online renewals. Got tags in about four days. When tag offices reopened, they had TV news clips of people lined up around the block-- distancing of course (does this lock the thread?). Can't figure out who likes in person visits-- Luddites maybe.

Back