New oil with no Zinc or Phosphorus

Sounds like typical big-company customer service response time: 16 years!

"Kamala Krishna, manager of process research in downstream technology and services at Chevron, said the idea for the product came in 2003 from a comment made by a major OEM customer to a Chevron executive."

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I see no statistical evidence that this is anymore than the usual Oil Company hype of a new product.

Yep.

It's True! This innovation will make Casstrol, Mobil and Pennzoil scurry away whimpering at their inferior product!

I find it strange that the president of the PQIA is apparently endorsing the product.
Won't that damage PQIA's objectivity?

Originally Posted by A_Harman
I find it strange that the president of the PQIA is apparently endorsing the product.
Won't that damage PQIA's objectivity?

I guess they can be an "industry cheerleader" even if its really hype. PQIA wants donations from Chevron-Oronite, so why not butter some buns?

Also, I thought there were some BMW LL-04 or -12, -17 oils that had this very low saps level.

Reminds me of what Fuchs did years ago, developing a ZDDP-Free oil. There are enough organic AW/FM additives to avoid use of ashy stuff.

I would get excited about it if it really is a longer drain oil than the already good Delvac1 or Rotella oils: "Shaw said a major benefit of the new oil is that it extends maintenance intervals, and that, he said, is "a huge game changer"." ---- Unless they are only talking about DPF filters.

Waiting to see the specs hoping for a 229.52 compatible formula.

UD

Full disclosure: I'll be running this next summer's towing season because I'm a sucker for new oils.

That said,

1) Does the "significantly reduced DPF clogging" mean that it results in less regens?

2) What's the normal expected service life of a DPF? I need to know so I can fill in x. X•2.5=New Expected Service Life

3) What the heck is synthetic technology? (rhetorical question, don't answer)

All questions are asked with a modern diesel pick-up truck in mind.

P.S. I walked in to an AutoZone this morning and walked out without buying any of their clearance items! Big deal for me because an oil stash doesn't work well when you're always itching to try the next newest thing.

[Linked Image]

I am cautiously excited to hear about this. Not so much as the one branded product, but how the competitive market will respond in general. Often where one goes, others eventually follow ...
Anything that can reduce the PM (particulate matter) loading in the exhaust stream is likely to enhance the longevity of the DPF and all the associated equipment, as well as perhaps reduce regen cycles (saving fuel and annoying events).

If one combined this type of lube successfully with a FBC (fuel borne catalyst, such as BetterDiesel), would that make regens very infrequent? Essentially, if the oil has the ability to reduce SA, and the FBC improves the combustion such that PM is lower, would that not be a great boon to the diesel driven fleet??? If so, THAT could be an entire new game, not just a game changer.

My disdain for modern diesels is based on not only the obscene cost, but the incessant regens and the $$$ of the equipment that support the entire DPF process. If the FBC and lower SA oils could combine to significantly reduce the overall PM loading, then the equipment could be downsized (it would not be eliminated, but it could be made smaller to save space/weight/money and yet still have a reasonable lifespan).

Last edited:
Back