How reliable is the 5.7 Hemi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know it has power, but I'm weary of buying a Dodge. If I do buy a Ram this fall, I'd like to know how reliable these engines are before doing so. Anyone know or have a lot of miles on one yet?
smile.gif

I've read a couple of technical articles on this engine, and the architecture is sound. There is no reason to think the new Hemi will be any less reliable than the traditional small block (276-360 cid) and big block (350-440 cid) Chrysler engines, both of which are legendary for their durability.

The engine itself is most likely reliable but it's usually all the associated crap that goes along with it.Transmissions,sensors,switches,brakes,ecu's, etc,etc.Dodge seems to have problems in a lot of the areas as opposed to many other manufactuers.I saw a guy in Advanced Auto Parts just the other day looking to buy a new power steering pump for a 2002 Neon.That told me a lot about Dodge quality right there.I've heard a lot of complaints from Dodge owners over the years myself.

I'd rather have a small Toyota pickup myself if I wanted a truck.

I seriously doubt that a dodge truck would even be as remotely as reliable as your Corolla has been.I know my Corolla has been absolutley awesome since the day I bought new in 1999.

quote:

I seriously doubt that a dodge truck would even be as remotely as reliable as your Corolla has been.I know my Corolla has been absolutley awesome since the day I bought new in 1999.

Alan, I agree. My Corolla is like a tank. I still can't believe how solid this car is. I have the S model with a 5spd and the car runs like it did when I drove it off the lot. There is nothing special about this car, it's slow and economical but it is built so well. This is why I'm glad I decided to wait until late fall because the new Tacoma is comming out and it will offer a 4.0L V6.
fruit.gif

People should be able to land a sweet deal on the remaing older style Tacoma's when the newer model shows up this fall.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
We know it has power, but I'm weary of buying a Dodge. If I do buy a Ram this fall, I'd like to know how reliable these engines are before doing so. Anyone know or have a lot of miles on one yet?
smile.gif

Buy the Dodge but get a 3/4 or 1 ton with the Cummins turbo diesel. That one will last you longer than you want to drive the truck. Now you have a "REAL" truck with a real engine.
smile.gif

Buster is headed over to the dark side!
wink.gif

I thought about buying a Dodge and thats about as far as that went.

If I wanted a full size it would be a Titan or Tundra.

Yesterday the new front brake caliper for my neighbors 96 chevy 1/2 ton was $12 for the complete assembly.
Replacement parts for imports are too expensive.

Actually the import you wouldn't need to replace caliper. I ran my last Yota 18 years on same calipers. 18 years on the same clutch, radiator, a/c, transmission and more.

You will spend a little more on the parts, but they hardly break.

My relatives and friends all have, Fords, Chrysler and GM products. In the 18 years they have had a handfull of domestics with numerous problems. Replacing engines, water pumps, sensors, transmissions, A/C and these are vehicles with less than 80000 miles! Not to mention the paint problems, peeling...

The Tacoma and Tundra are both made in the USA. They have more than 80% of the parts that are made here.

The resale sucks!!!!! For an example there is 500 Ram pickups for sale on Ebay, the Tundra 49 and the Tacoma 89. Including the 150-350 pickups Ford has almost 900 for sale. Which holds its value?

Personally, I hate buying new vehicles because its a waste of money. Its a depreciated assett in most cases. Would you give a stranger $2000-$10000 in cash free? Yet thats what most of us do when we buy a new vehicle. The problem is made worse when these vehicles are traded in 2-5 years later! You gain wealth by putting the $400 in the bank instead of a "rolling peice of steel". An exception to all of this is classic cars.

But hey it keeps the economy moving so its all good!
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 9100Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 91400 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Buster buying a new car is a gamble I would put my money on a Toyota .Look at the reliability ratings in the comsumer reports,they are right on. The Dodge trucks don't impress at all,great marketing though.

"The resale sucks!!!!! For an example there is 500 Ram pickups for sale on Ebay, the Tundra 49 and the Tacoma 89. Including the 150-350 pickups Ford has almost 900 for sale. Which holds its value?"

Why would that surprise you, the Domestics have over 95% market share in full size trucks, so of course there would be more domestics listed on E-Bay.

If I use your logic and turn it, maybe 95% of full size truck buyers prefer Domestics because they have better quality?

All I know is my family has/currently owns imports and domestics and both have equal amount of repairs and maintenance. Keep a car 15 years, then talk about how good or bad it is. My only exprience with a Toyota was an 87 SR5. Was very problematic and had mega rust at 5 years old and terrible build quality. I am sure Toyota has improved but still they do not have a true full size truck and no engine which could match the Hemi for power.

My friend has an 04 Hemi Ram Quad Cab. It has the 545RFE tranny, 4WD, 3.92 gears, trailer tow. Towed his 70 440+6 Road Runner out to Vermont. Got 13 MPG with 4 people pulling 6500 lb load. He has had zero issues with the truck.

I have an 00 Durango 5.9, no problems in 5 years.

A friend here at work just bought an 04 Tundra, 4.7 4wd. Nice truck but expensive. It is the perfect size for his needs, we will see what issues he will have if any, note he already had to have a window regulator replaced, but no big deal.

VNT

From what I've seen so far I'd suggest a 1/2 ton gasser if you're looking for something that's easy to drive in the city, aren't too worried about mileage, don't plan on hauling heavier loads on a regular basis, or plan it keeping it forever. Otherwise consider a 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel. I see more and more of the new Dodge Rams in town as well as in the country, a lot of them diesels, and from what I read a lot with sticks. A brother confirms comments from others, that in Dodge diesels are probably the most popular truck in Alaska. 500k miles doesn't seem uncommon with the Cummins, it's rated for 350k miles in a medium duty application, and one hears of 1,000k miles more often.

VNT, I stand by my statement the resale sucks! You already answered why.

As far as the Toyota rust problem in 1987 do you know why? The bed was manufactured in the USA! I had a 85 Toy p/u that was the best vehicle I ever owned. It lasted me 18 years and I sold it for $2500. If it was running perfect it would have sold for twice that. Yes it had the dreaded rusty bed, but still looked great after 18 years.

I already went over the issue with the TUNDRA and TACOMA being domestic! So when you talk domestic you need to include those models.

I could have bought Ford, Dodge or Chevy with no problems financially, however my past experience with those vehicles as well family and friends experiences with having "domestic loyalty" still did not allow me to purchase the big 3. To many problems with stupid stuff! Don't need it and don't want it!

I keep my vehicles till they die!

[ July 06, 2004, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

Amkeer

On my 87 SR5, it wasnt just the bed, the rocker panels, frame, cab mounts, door sills, front fender, rad support . You name it, it rusted. No excuse just poor paint prep and quality.

But dont think Toyota was the only one doing this, My wife also owned a 97 Pathfinder and it had similiar issues under the doors, gate, floors. Ditched it in 02 for a Jeep.

In regards to resale of Dodge,ford, GM. Guess you have to take it as a % of what you pay. I'll stand by my statement that if they have 95% of market of full size trucks, then you will find 95% of adds on E-bay will be for those brands and of course the resale(although as a % of original purchase price, I bet they would be better than you think) will be lower because there are more to choose from.

I am with you though, I keep a few old cars for my commutes, my winter beater89 Shadow ES turbo has 195K miles and no rust. Ditto my 86 Daytona turbo, although it doesnt see any snow. Note that is **** good up here in snow country. After being burnt with cars that rot out too fast due to poor body integrity I'll take my chances with the Domestics, at least their products dont seem to get the cancer as fast. My mother in law just traded in a 98 Corrolla for a Saturn. The rear wheel wells had rust bubbles all around them, bubbles in the rocker panels and stuff popping thru under the doors and deck lid. She said last Toyota she will buy. Car only had 40K miles on it since she is retired.

Later

VNT

dont have to worry about rust on the saturn at all. Plastic body panels
grin.gif
, only thing that's metal is the hood, roof and trunk lid
grin.gif

By the way, Dodge has a 100k drivetrain warranty, but the only way they could do that is if you were accellerating hard, it shuts off #4 and #8 cylinders at 3500 RPM. There's a chip to get around this that won't void the warranty, so you may want to look into it.

Oh, and most transmission problems are caused by people not doing proper transmission maintenance.

VNT, the salt that is used on the roads will eat the metal. You need to wash the undercarriage and keep the vehicle clean or they will rot regardless. My buddies 2002 Ram Van is starting to rot already and he lives in Mass..

Believe me when I tell you that I am a "picky s.o.b"! If they were junk I wouldn't own it!

I do wash the underside of my cars, my 89 shadow and 89 spirit are my winter beaters. We tend to drive them to preserve our newer/nicer cars.(currently have a 00 Durango and 02 Grand Cherokee which do see some salt) and two Daytonas we drive in the summer.

In the case of the of the SR5 and the Pathfinder, they received similar treatment, limited driving in the winter and they rusted to **** (SR5 did and PathFinder had bubbles, rusty sheetmetal on floors and on the lips on rear hatch and base of doors) note you can eat off my cars, I treat them well. In comparison my 89's both have no rust, save the Shadow has a little under hatch on the lip after 15 years and 195K miles of Salty NE roads. Fortunatly it is going to get some major upgrades. Have a S60 turbo with stg 2 wheel, +40 injectors, 25 PSi cal, 3" ss exhaust, venolia forged pistons, MP Big valve head, EGT and AF guages, NPR Intercooler, Konis, A555 getrag gear set and a paint job. It has served me well and it is time to play.

Note, I am not knocking Toyotas, they are just not as superior as you are trying to make them out to be. I am glad you enjoy yours, and I am sure there are others who are happy with other makes.

VNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back