severe duty fan clutch?

In my 2001 Suburban with 293k the stock fan clutch must have been worn out because extended idling or stop and go traffic or off roading at slow speeds but high load was causing overheating and AC performance in this conditions sucked.

I installed a new "severe duty" Hayden/Murray 2786 and now my idle cooling issue is resolved. But this thing screams. Did I make a mistake putty in the severe duty one? At high RPM it moves sooooo much air and it's so loud!

Has the coolant temp risen compared to last yr? How old is the water pump and flow, coolant and air, through the radiator?

Does it not dis engage? Youre lucky you didn't blow the ac. That happened on my truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been dead so long that you got used to not hearing it. The severe duty one will be more agressive than a standard one.

You are very lucky that it did not overpressurize the ac and destroy the compressor.

Originally Posted by andyd
Has the coolant temp risen compared to last yr? How old is the water pump and flow, coolant and air, through the radiator?

Bought the truck used, water pump is about two months old, that started making noise shortly after buying the truck, changed thermostat at the same time, radiator is about three hours old it exploded in the parking lot at work yesterday and so I fixed it today (drove my other vehicle in the meantime), thankfully we stock the radiator. The old one appears to have been patched with jbweld or something in like four places no wonder it went pop. Coolant is fresh... When I changed the water pump I used peak global lifetime universal and today I couldn't afford more of that so I used some zerex g05 I'd bought a long time ago.

Last edited:
Use a Express/Savana 3500 6.0L Fan Clutch part# 25744727.....It's a direct replacement & seriously outperforms a GMT800 clutch without the roaring!

Just be glad it works. lol I replaced my fan on my truck and I already think it's not really working as good as it used to. I have a feeling they didn't use the oem cummins fan and put a cheaper one on.

Originally Posted by dogememe
In my 2001 Suburban with 293k the stock fan clutch must have been worn out because extended idling or stop and go traffic or off roading at slow speeds but high load was causing overheating and AC performance in this conditions sucked.

I installed a new "severe duty" Hayden/Murray 2786 and now my idle cooling issue is resolved. But this thing screams. Did I make a mistake putty in the severe duty one? At high RPM it moves sooooo much air and it's so loud!

Hey Dogememe, I also have a 01 burban with 320K miles as my work beater truck
thumbsup2.gif
and the AC at idle was BAD and a funny smell !!

During my "new car" maintenance checklist It turned out to be the nasty cabin filters blocking air flow

Now A/C blow ICE COLD and GREAT AIR FLOW
thumbsup2.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dave

You correctly diagnosed your problem as an airflow issue and that's what I would have looked at.. The new fan clutch is moving more volumes of air past the radiator thus making more noise. The only alternative is to put a standard duty unit in if you feel your cooling system can still sufficiently cool the engine. An OEM fan clutch, if still available may work better for you.

Last edited:
Put a HD unit in an older Safari van years ago, that one was loud as all get out as well. Actually, this reminds me of how much louder my ambulance is when the temp gets above about 75F. Seems like that 6.0 diesel would keep the fan locked in almost 100% of the time!

I put an oe Delco can on my avalanche, and am pleased with it. I had heard that the aftermarket fans engage more than they need to, making noise and using more fuel.

Some of the older trucks spec'd a different fan clutch depending on the rear axle ratio, or if the vehicle has a towing package. If you are not planning to do any towing you likely could have used the standard duty fan clutch.

Since you already have the heavy duty one installed I would just run it and see how it does. It might quiet down a little with some use.

Originally Posted by buck91
Put a HD unit in an older Safari van years ago, that one was loud as all get out as well. Actually, this reminds me of how much louder my ambulance is when the temp gets above about 75F. Seems like that 6.0 diesel would keep the fan locked in almost 100% of the time!

The 6.0 PSD ones are electrically actuated, my ‘03 E-350 one would scream going uphill pulling a trailer, even when the coolant hadn't got hot yet. I think they had some kind of load sensing ability. To the OP-make sure there's nothing between the A/C condenser & radiator-any (center) blockage will cause the fan clutch to get hot fast and stick on. Like a redneck cardboard front cover wedged in between!

I did the same thing in my 2003 Suburban.

Mine had all the signs of a bad clutch... poor AC at stop lights...and rising temps towing. Mine was worn out.

I had the choice of an OEM (which lasts 200K miles).. and is fairly expensive.. and aftermarket Heavy Duty or Severe Duty..

Severe Duty- Turns the fan 80-90% of the shaft speed when engaged
Turns the fan 20-30% of the shaft speed when disengaged

Heavy Duty- Turns the fan 70-90% of the shaft speed when engaged for increased cooling
Turns the fan 25-35% of the shaft speed when disengaged

I chose Heavy Duty Four Seasons. It was $35 verses $125 for the OEM.

I think if you put enough miles on the Severe Duty it will cost you more in fuel mileage than to just swap it out for a Heavy Duty or Light Duty one.

I installed a Hayden severe duty in my E-350 and it was the loudest thing I'd ever heard. It locked in once and never let go, it was deafening on the freeway and cost me some serious MPG. It also smoked the belt from slipping so much. I took it off and threw it away halfway through my 700 mile trip.
Replaced with an AutoZone standard one in the back parking lot and have been happy.

I know it's a bit of work but I'd look at retrofitting an e-fan from a later model GMT800 truck or SUV or even buying an aftermarket e-fan.

Originally Posted by Jake_J
I know it's a bit of work but I'd look at retrofitting an e-fan from a later model GMT800 truck or SUV or even buying an aftermarket e-fan.

That's what I was gonna do. But this was the cheap solution. I might be starting a really long commute soon and so I'll consider it then. 1mpg is a good improvement at 150mi/day.

Back