Nissan Kicks 89 octane

I bought a 2020 Nissan Kicks SR. I noticed pretty quickly that the little 1.6 liter motor struggled a bit getting up to speed. And passing on the interstate. So I first tried Shell 89 octane. I Immediately Noticed it was much peppier. And transmission was also smoother. Then for the heck of it. I tried 90 octane ethanol free gas in it. Wow, even better! Is the ecm mapped to be able to advance timing and other adjustments to make it better for the higher octane? One of the reasons I tried 89 octane. Was in the owner's manual it stated to use an octane of at least 87. I would much appreciate your thoughts on this. Thank you..

All the years (seven) that I owned a Nissan Frontier, I always ran it on 89 octane. I kept careful mileage records on regula, tried 89 and found that my cost per mie was actually lower. Also, slight pinging on grades went away as well. I run both my VWs currently on 89 octane for the same reason.

Sounds like you found your answer: it runs better on 89. As Boomer indicates, if the cost per mile is lower on 89, then that is the right answer all around.

[Some would run the 89 regardless of cost, just because it drives better--that of course makes sense too, but for many people, they find no difference in how something drives or fuel economy, thus higher octane makes no sense.]

Yeah, I've never gotten better fuel economy with any higher grade of octane. Slightly better throttle responce maybe in one or two older carbed engines but that's it.

Not more power but better responce. However, only enough responce to be felt in the seat of the pants but barely noticeable on a stopwatch.

Originally Posted by lexus114
I bought a 2020 Nissan Kicks SR. Was in the owner's manual it stated to use an octane of at least 87

Wait till the recommended 87 octane crowd see this!
smile.gif

Wow, I thought it was because it's Turbo that the additional octane helped the power.
Didn't think they'd run a NA setup in a 1.6 mini SUV in 2020!

Originally Posted by Pelican
I bought a 2020 Nissan Kicks SR. Was in the owner's manual it stated to use an octane of at least 87

Wait till the recommended 87 octane crowd see this!
smile.gif

I was thinking the "Top Tier" gas crowd would chime in.....

Your brain is mapped to believe the extra money you're paying for fuel is giving you performance perks.. You'll never see noticeable gains like that especially in an engine like that and not immediately either it would take some mileage to see change but that would be in a higher output and high displacement engine.

Only thing you'll notice in slightly better mpg

I see slight improvements, but it is not economical, the cost spread is way too high.

93 is 75 cents higher, even if it did help a little, it still did not recoup. the cost.

87 Octane in my Tucson turbo does not work well. It is loud and struggles to go up long steep hills. With 89 it is perfectly happy and runs like a champ. No increase in gas mileage but it is able to use the fuller potential of the engine/turbo with 89. I also tried 93 octane and there was no appreciable difference in performance over 89. Twice I accidentally refilled with 87 and man the difference was incredible. Even my wife noticed when driving it.

Last edited:
Not even liquid Schwartz would turn a 122HP, struggle up hills engine, into a peppy ride.

The advance mapping takes time to learn and is not something you'll feel when you drive away from the gas station. I'm thinking the mental supercharger may have kicked in a bit when you hit the 89 button at the pump.

I've put 87, 89, 91, 92 in my Corolla. It was all the same. Slow, underpowered, and gas mileage of 40-42.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
I've put 87, 89, 91, 92 in my Corolla. It was all the same. Slow, underpowered, and gas mileage of 40-42.

Slight difference between an old Corolla and something new that likely is using VVT to alter cylinder pressure (on top of all the other tricks it has, DBW included). It very well could be pulling timing etc on 87--very safely--but have a noticeable increase on 89 octane.

But I have to admit, I have no idea how long it would take to advance timing/pressure/etc. Fast to pull reduce power, and nearly as fast to increase? Dunno.

Dumb thought of the moment: it's a 2020, right? Any chance you're still in the "break-in" period? Maybe not so much from parts loosening in, but maybe the ECU really does run a reduced power map for the first thousand or so miles.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Yeah, I've never gotten better fuel economy with any higher grade of octane. Slightly better throttle responce maybe in one or two older carbed engines but that's it.

Not more power but better responce. However, only enough responce to be felt in the seat of the pants but barely noticeable on a stopwatch.

Well I figured that little motor could use all the help I could give it.....†

I've driven NISSAN's little 1.6L 4 banger and it's OK. I mean, it's no power house but has good off the line jump(pull out into quick moving traffic). But then seems to run out of breath. But I still like it overall.

When I drove it(VERSA), if I needed more power to pass, I'd just drop the shifter down into "L"(Low) ...or depress the "OD OFF" button(even Lower) and the engine would wakeup for said maneuver.

hey lexus114, kindly describe your decision behind getting the nissan kicks, what and why competitors were eliminated, and current ownership impressions. i've sat in the kicks and like its feel. thanks!

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
I learned to drive on an '82 Corolla stationwagon with the AT, you want to talk about underpowered....holy cow.

My wife drove a Chevette when I met her. That little RWD car was decent in snow because you couldn't even spin the tires on ice.

Back