2015 Ram 3.6 Engine Temps

In normal driving conditions highly unlikely to be normal. I have never seen temps this high in any of the cars i have owned unless there was a system failure.

But in your case with the 3.6 possible ?? i have no experience with this engine.

I don't believe that is normal, especially as the coolant is also used to cool the transmission.

I did a quick search in gOOgle and found that people with V6 Rams had issues with the accuracy of the gauge (some verified with an IR gun) and some had water pump issues.

Apparently there was a backorder of pumps back in '15 +/-. I have a Fluke IR gun, but I imagine the Harbor Freight one isn't too bad. I would shoot the water pump and T-stat area and then compare to the gauge. If it matches close enough, you may need a water pump.

I would check for any TSB's on the issue.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
It would be normal for higher rpm use. What are the typical shift point rpms?

Just to verify, are you talking about coolant temps or oil temps. A lot of Rams have oil temp readouts in addition to coolant temps. 231 sounds high for coolant temps, but would be normal for the oil temp if the engine was running at higher rpm such as with towing.

Last edited:
check the grill shutters.. i've read you can remove couple of the flaps to increase air flow. or consider pulling them right out
I just bought a 2019 classic 3.6 only gets hot 220' s when stuck in traffic.

On my 2017 Ram 1500 with the pentastar, I've seen coolant temps get close to 220degF sitting at a stop light on a very hot, humid day after being on the interstate.

It's normally in the 180-185 range. Same with engine oil and ATF temps which all display on the dash.

Last edited:
Case Number: S1324000004

Release Date: 2/12/2013

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Vehicle Temperature Gauge Reads Hot

Discussion:

Engineering has determined the gauge is reading higher than design intent. If this is the customers complaint, review the below operating parameters. This condition is being investigated by Engineering.

Some customers may comment the temperature gauge appears to read hot or above the half way point in its travel. The thermostat is designed to open at 221F, resulting in an Engine operating temperature of 230F. Verify the vehicle is operating at no more that 230F with the wiTECH tool, and that no codes are present before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

Originally Posted by oilchangeguy
my engine temps get up to 231 degrees at times. Dealer said this is normal for that engine. Anyone else experience this?

I think mine in my Jeep has hit 223 or 224 on the guage. It has been rare, but does happen once in a while. Not as high as yours but not too far off, either. The fan then kicks on and sounds like an F-14 at military power, then it comes right down. I tow only a little with that Jeep, so it was on its own when I noticed it. I think one time was rock crawling in Utah at about 1mph in very hot conditions.

Edit...I'm reading it from a digital readout, not a needle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by big_guy
Case Number: S1324000004

Release Date: 2/12/2013

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Vehicle Temperature Gauge Reads Hot

Discussion:

Engineering has determined the gauge is reading higher than design intent. If this is the customers complaint, review the below operating parameters. This condition is being investigated by Engineering.

Some customers may comment the temperature gauge appears to read hot or above the half way point in its travel. The thermostat is designed to open at 221F, resulting in an Engine operating temperature of 230F. Verify the vehicle is operating at no more that 230F with the wiTECH tool, and that no codes are present before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

This has been the same since electric fans have came out in front wheel drive vehicles. Most gauges don't have a number just low, normal, or high. Engines run higher temperature as it is more efficient. The op is running severe service with towing so at higher rpms and more load temps go up. Only thing that you could do is run a Synthetic oil and keep radiator clean. Maybe check grill shudder for proper operation.

I've been paying attention to mine since I made the above post.

With ambient temps in the 30-40F range and after my 40mile drive to work my engine oil and coolant temps stay around 194-196F. Transmission temp about 10deg cooler and oil press around 42psig.

Back