Home

How do you scratch the new car itch?

Posted By: supton

How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 02:07 PM

To keep myself from going down the path, I usually do my best to search for problems with the vehicle, and try to run the math against my budget, but lately I've been feeling the need to change vehicles, again. I don't know why but i'm getting tired of driving a 20 year old Camry 2 hours a day--I'll drive my truck for a bit, see if that scratches the itch, but by golly it is nice to go into my garage and go, no need to scrape the windshield--and the truck doesn't fit in the garage, period. [No joke, I think I've gone all winter so far w/o cleaning my car off once--wow is that nice or what. And to get in&out while out of the weather...] I know the truck is suffering from sitting all the time. Stuff rusts even just sitting. Also... we've all griped about it--the move to SUV's and trucks means darn near every vehicle on the road is blinding me now.

Anyhow. What do you guys do to avoid trading excessively? Do you just keep modifying your car, keep changing it into something slightly enough different?
Posted By: LazyDog

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 02:12 PM

I have never bought a new car but when I get the itch for something different a first check car complaints.com. This usually tells me that what is out their
is probably worst than what I have. Having an itch is not a bad thing, life is one way street. oilburner
Posted By: Miller88

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 02:16 PM

I'm in the same boat right now. Want to get rid of my DD Subaru for a used pickup. The good thing is spending money makes me sick and I am great at talking myself out of spending money.

DDing my Subaru, I would spend $1700 a year. I'd spend $2300 or so DDing a truck. That's pretty significant in my book . That, plus having a higher payment ... losing how far "ahead" I am with the current car. It'll allow me to kick the can down the road a bit. And then I'm going to want to buy a winter beater to keep something expensive from rusting out. Which will bring me to 4 road going vehicles and 3 trailers registered.

Until I'm on the side of the road with my current truck 300 miles from home looking at a tow bill for more than I make in a month haha.
Posted By: Quattro Pete

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by supton
What do you guys do to avoid trading excessively?

I look at depreciation tables, assuming you meant brand new car and not just new to you.

The Charger was the first new car I bought in 12 years.
Posted By: Imp4

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 02:17 PM

By thinking about all the hours I'd have to work to pay for the darn thing.
Then it's back to the beater for me....
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 02:26 PM

The thing that scratches my itch is I like to work on vehicles, and if the vehicle is too new, it usually doesn’t need much. I change coolant, differential oil, transfer case oil, respond to the odd check engine light. I’ve replaced oil cooler lines, transmission cooler lines, have done brakes, shocks etc. I’ve bought new vehicles but like run to them 10 or more years, knock wood. Nothing better than hopping in the old truck and taking a spin.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Imp4

I'm salaried and because I short-changed my 401k for so long, I'm stuck working for about another 25 years. After being gone from home for 11 hours (2hr commute + 8hr day + 1hr lunch), and then I think about putting in extra time at home on projects... I really don't feel like "having" to fix my beater (again).

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I look at depreciation tables, assuming you meant brand new car and not just new to you.

Yeah, thinking new, I've done ok on used but I'm feeling like, this time around, I'm not interested in the middle zone of high price with no financing, no warranty and who knows what reliability--if you go cheap&beat, you know what you're getting going in. And if you go new you reap all the benefits of reliability. That middle zone is kinda rough... I feel like we did ok on 3 out of the 4 cars we bought new, all 4 kept depreciation below 10 cents per mile, one just barely and might have been a mistake. My truck is vehicle #5 and it won't hit that metric, while vehicle #6 might hit the zero mark (excluding repairs!).
Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 02:44 PM

I think Nissan has a 12K mile/ year 24 month lease on a New Murano with tech package.

at $99 a month with 2999 down.

That's $225/ month for a luxury V6 Ute.

Can't beat that with a stick! **

** if you drive under 12K miles a year.

Got the Flyer from Autofair Nissan
Stratham , NH
Posted By: AZjeff

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 03:15 PM

Going to go against the flow here. If you have the funds and or income to support it and are comfortable with your financial situation now then why not? This is a great time to get a deal on a 2019 whatever and you spend 10 hours a week just commuting. It sounds like you keep cars a long time and put on a lot of miles. If you drive beaters by necessity that's one thing, if it's by choice then you have the option to change your mind.

Or you could upgrade to an '03 Crown Vic! wink
Posted By: gregk24

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 03:18 PM

I get the new car itch regularly. What works for me is reminding myself that I don't want a monthly payment for the next 5-6 years, and how easy it is to maintain the Accord vs. something new. Yesterday I did an oil / filter change, transmission fluid drain and fill, and a power steering fluid extract and fill in about 35 minutes. Other maintenance items such as air filter changes and coolant drain and fills are also super easy to DIY. That is not the case on many new vehicles.
Posted By: MCompact

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 03:31 PM

I usually buy a "new to me" CPO car; that way depreciation is my friend. However, I'm seriously considering picking up a 2019 Stinger GTS AWD. I usually can only tolerate AWD in vehicles my wife drives, but the GTS has D-AWD, which gets you a trues LSD in the rear axle as well as the ability to send 100% of the torque to the rear axle- just like a BMW M5 or AMG E63 S. Unfortunately, the GTS can only manage to run the quarter in 13.1 seconds ; the BMW and AMG click it off in under 11 seconds.
The silver lining is that I can nab a GTS for $12k off of MSRP- or a bit over 1/3 the price of either the M5 or the E63 S.
Posted By: opus1

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 03:38 PM

I generally don't. I buy new and keep them for a very long time so as long as the vehicle runs and isn't costing me a fortune in repairs, I look but don't scratch that itch. I've missed out on several cars I would have loved to own, but couldn't justify buying because I didn't need a replacement vehicle at that time.

The only exception is the Cobalt SS in my signature. That purchase was my one and only "want" vs "need" which drove a vehicle purchase.
Posted By: wwillson

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 03:47 PM

Build a spreadsheet that compares how much money you'll have at retirement if you invest the monthly payments for a car vs buying that car. Make sure you also show the depreciation you'll suffer owning the car. The younger you are the delta becomes astounding.

Smart money will keep a car until it's worn out.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 03:50 PM

Yeah, I made the mistake of looking and saw that a local dealer has some Ridgelines with 1.9% APR. More than I want to spend, of course, but I'm guessing I could swing it (if I cut my 401k in half I'd still get company match and could "afford" this while still sitting on a large emergency fund). It's been great not having a car payment for so long, I'd hate to lose that. If not a Ridgeline then something with modest towing, 4 doors, "big" trunk for taking trash to the dump, and the goal of having just one vehicle for myself, instead of my DD and then a truck that sits and rusts outside.

Last night I had to tell the wife that the smell of burning rubber in the garage was indeed my car, and yes, it's ok, it just does that sometimes. I turn off the heater fan when I stop at lights as often I can smell either exhaust or burning oil, not always but pretty often (and yes I've gone through both exhaust and various seals--I keep a pizza box under the car now when I park, it drips once or twice over night).

OTOH, I stopped at an estate sale today, and on the walk back to my car I was admiring the sizes of all the CUV's, thinking they were decent sizes. Then got back to my car and wonder "who brought the rollerskate". I can rotate the wheels with ease in my garage, and most of the repairs it needs over time are things I might be able to do, short of pulling the trans or engine.
Posted By: madRiver

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 04:07 PM

Pay cash for it.
Posted By: Nick1994

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 04:12 PM

Don't ask me. I just went all out and got my Genesis.

Taking it to the drag strip last night was fun too.
Posted By: Imp4

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 04:18 PM

I'm salaried and because I short-changed my 401k for so long, I'm stuck working for about another 25 years. After being gone from home for 11 hours (2hr commute + 8hr day + 1hr lunch), and then I think about putting in extra time at home on projects... I really don't feel like "having" to fix my beater (again).

Short changing your 401k and buying new cars is the perfect plan to ensure that you work 'til you're 70....

Change your behaviors and you change your life.

Good luck!!!
cheers

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Don't ask me. I just went all out and got my Genesis.

Taking it to the drag strip last night was fun too.

Good man! If I get a GTS it will also see the strip- as well as a few track weekends.
Posted By: Inspecktor

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 04:23 PM

I have bought 1 new car, 1 new pickup and 2 new motorcycles so far. At age 62, I don't think I will buy many more. The car was in service for 21 years, finally given to a friend in need with 255,000 miles on it. I still own the truck (Dakota), and have had the 2nd motorcycle for 32 years. I love not having car payments and high insurance rates, not the mention not worrying about parking lot rash or bird droppings. Driving a vehicle I like doesn't have a time limit. As an added plus, my wife knows I won't be trading her in for a newer model.
Posted By: Railrust

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 04:47 PM

Good thread, I developed one very similar to it last year.

Here’s the thing, you just get sick of that old car. You itch for something else...then that old car needs some work, you put it off...then it needs more. Then you staring at $4000 in repairs and you think...ok, I’ve got almost 200,000 miles on this thing, it needs some work, plus it’s consuming oil...now is a great time to bail and get that new car! Yay! Then you end up spending 4 grand on sales and excise tax. Then you insurance goes up. Then you get another $700 dollar excise tax bill next year (after that new car smell has faded away).

Now you’re two years into this thing...it’s got a few scratches now, a couple unexpected repairs of its own (and you’re still shelling out $500-$600 excise tax bills). The payments are getting real old. You look in the classifieds and the vehicle you paid 40k for is selling for 26k...I just lost $14,000 grand! And yeah I like the car, but I don’t really love it. Heck, I’m not even sure it’s all that much better than my old one that needed $4,000 in repairs! And now my “new” one needs some of those very same repairs. And I’m getting sick of counting all the new scratches and dings people put into the doors while I’m food shopping. Ugh.

And hopefully that^^^^^ will keep me from selling my “new” truck I bought a year and a half ago...to go out and buy that “new” truck...which won’t be “new” five seconds after I drive off the lot.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 05:04 PM

More than I want to spend, of course, but I'm guessing I could swing it (if I cut my 401k in half I'd still get company match and could "afford" this while still sitting on a large emergency fund). .

RED FLAG.

Plus increased fuel and insurance costs. In Az registration cost is tied to value, is it there too?

Minus the costs of the 2 you'll eliminate.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 05:06 PM

Short changing your 401k and buying new cars is the perfect plan to ensure that you work 'til you're 70....

Change your behaviors and you change your life.

Good luck!!!
cheers

Point taken. But. My 401k growth (on its own) has hit the point where it equals what I could add. It'd still grow quite nicely if I cut back my contribution to the amount that gets me all the "free" money from work.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Good thread, I developed one very similar to it last year.

Here’s the thing, you just get sick of that old car. You itch for something else...then that old car needs some work, you put it off...then it needs more. Then you staring at $4000 in repairs and you think...ok, I’ve got almost 200,000 miles on this thing, it needs some work, plus it’s consuming oil...now is a great time to bail and get that new car! Yay! Then you end up spending 4 grand on sales and excise tax. Then you insurance goes up. Then you get another $700 dollar excise tax bill next year (after that new car smell has faded away).

Now you’re two years into this thing...it’s got a few scratches now, a couple unexpected repairs of its own (and you’re still shelling out $500-$600 excise tax bills). The payments are getting real old. You look in the classifieds and the vehicle you paid 40k for is selling for 26k...I just lost $14,000 grand! And yeah I like the car, but I don’t really love it. Heck, I’m not even sure it’s all that much better than my old one that needed $4,000 in repairs! And now my “new” one needs some of those very same repairs. And I’m getting sick of counting all the new scratches and dings people put into the doors while I’m food shopping. Ugh.

And hopefully that^^^^^ will keep me from selling my “new” truck I bought a year and a half ago...to go out and buy that “new” truck...which won’t be “new” five seconds after I drive off the lot.

I was looking at $4k in repairs on my last car... but it had over 300k and there wasn't many VW diesel mechanics around. And I had dropped $4k into two years prior. My truck I've had for six years but it just doesn't fit my needs, and is 10 years old. I can't figure out my car, I've only had that for 3 years now (but it's 21 years old) so why would I want to trade out?

"Everyone" on this board insists that an automatic is toast after 150k and all mine are past that. That worries me! [Argues against new I know.]

I have been trying to buy and hold as long as possible, but there's a point where one hits where it might be--if not cheaper then wiser--to move on.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by AZjeff
More than I want to spend, of course, but I'm guessing I could swing it (if I cut my 401k in half I'd still get company match and could "afford" this while still sitting on a large emergency fund). .

RED FLAG.

Plus increased fuel and insurance costs. In Az registration cost is tied to value, is it there too?

Minus the costs of the 2 you'll eliminate.

I do believe so, but it's been too long since I've bought anything of value.

In the end I'll probably hold off, but sometimes I just need to talk these things out--all my friends just buy new every so often, so it's not like I can bounce ideas off them.
Posted By: drtyler

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 06:09 PM

Just go drive a new Ridgeline or whatever else suits your needs. You may not even like them.

I realize that 90's Camrys and Crown Vics are held in high regard around here, but its ok to move on.
Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 06:29 PM

A 2005-06 Camry 4 cylinder would be a nice upgrade over the 1999 Camry. A 99 is getting pretty old and prob time to move on. I remember when you first bought it and posting about it. If you want to go nicer than that then the sky's the limit. smile
Posted By: wog

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 06:34 PM

Do a lease

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
A 2005-06 Camry 4 cylinder would be a nice upgrade over the 1999 Camry. A 99 is getting pretty old and prob time to move on. I remember when you first bought it and posting about it. If you want to go nicer than that then the sky's the limit. smile

2AZ-FE? Dunno about that... but the 2AR-FE has been good in the wife's '11. The trans in that has been so-so though.

Originally Posted by wog
Do a lease

I could but what else would I drive? I do about 30k/year.
Posted By: Skippy722

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 06:38 PM

Currently going through it... I want a truck.
Posted By: Kira

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 06:43 PM

I take the altruistic route.

I just buy a new car for one of my friends.
Posted By: geeman789

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by MCompact
... I usually buy a "new to me" CPO car; that way depreciation is my friend. However, I'm seriously considering picking up a 2019 Stinger GTS AWD ...

The silver lining is that I can nab a GTS for $12k off of MSRP- or a bit over 1/3 the price of either the M5 or the E63 S.

There is a reason why KIA Stinger's are so heavily discounted ... wrong EMBLEM.

Decent car, but "just an expensive Kia ... " to many people.
Posted By: cjcride

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kira
I take the altruistic route.

I just buy a new car for one of my friends.

Can I be your friend?
Posted By: Coastie05

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 07:52 PM

Make a payment to yourself every month for a year or two and then buy something cash. Hertz rental cars is a good place to look. I just saw a 2017 Yaris hatchback for $8,500 with 45k miles this morning. I'd buy something like that if I needed to replace my CRV. I guess you have to ask yourself what matters more? I'm 6 years away from military retirement and will buy my first house. My end goal is to have a 15 yr mortgage but pay it off quicker if possible. I am 32, about to be 33, and I don't plan to work a day after 60. What is your long-term plan? If you still have a mortgage payment my advice is keep what you have or buy something else cash and make principle payments to your mortgage to pay it off quicker.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by madRiver
Pay cash for it.

Not when they are giving cars loans for free.

A conservative bond fund and a GVT moneymarket blend will still five you 3-4% annual in an IRA

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by wog
Do a lease

I just saw the 2 hour commute you posted otherwise I wouldnt have even made the Murano lease tease smile

I had a 1 hour 10 min to Wilmington Ma one way.

That was my limit.

Now I just quite working last November Im putting 7K a year on the car so I can do these short mileage give-a-way leases.

I you recall I just got the Jetta and now its done in 10 months!

I'm thinking VIntage restored truck or car next.

Don t need the commuter car.

Bradley GT glass job on the classic VW pan?

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by MCompact
... I usually buy a "new to me" CPO car; that way depreciation is my friend. However, I'm seriously considering picking up a 2019 Stinger GTS AWD ...

There is a reason why KIA Stinger's are so heavily discounted ... wrong EMBLEM.

Decent car, but "just an expensive Kia ... " to many people.

I realize that, but knowing Albert Biermann played a major part in the design of the Stinger means more to me than the badge- although I do wish that it was significantly faster than my 2er.
Posted By: 4WD

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 08:23 PM

.delete.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Coastie05
Make a payment to yourself every month for a year or two and then buy something cash. Hertz rental cars is a good place to look. I just saw a 2017 Yaris hatchback for $8,500 with 45k miles this morning. I'd buy something like that if I needed to replace my CRV. I guess you have to ask yourself what matters more? I'm 6 years away from military retirement and will buy my first house. My end goal is to have a 15 yr mortgage but pay it off quicker if possible. I am 32, about to be 33, and I don't plan to work a day after 60. What is your long-term plan? If you still have a mortgage payment my advice is keep what you have or buy something else cash and make principle payments to your mortgage to pay it off quicker.

My long term plan is to live for a long time...

We just bought our second house and the wife insists that she will get a full time job in a few years, once the kids can drive themselves around. For now we have a couple months shy of 30 years left on the mortgage; we aggressively paid on our prior house, got close to paying it off, and took a bath when we sold it. In some ways we are jaded and have stopped caring about "getting ahead" and until she is working, just plan on paying on a 30 year payoff. And enjoying the last few years we have with the kids (which need driving all around! my stay at home wife travels 25k/year).

I'm 43 and I hate to say it but I'm starting to feel entitled. I've tried to talk myself into a Yaris and then a Prius C for my commute (which is 55 minutes each way according to my phone); it's all highway and all of 54 miles according to Google. A Yaris (or a C) might last a long time but I'm afraid I'd be right back to where I am now after a few years, and others on this site talked me out of it each time. The last time I shopped I got my Camry and while it's been wonderful, I wonder when it's time to move on. The Camry is easy to repair and I feel like I should keep it as a spare vehicle, but I'm not sure I want to pass it down to any new drivers (call me a nanny if you want but I've grilled my kids and confirmed that they have no desire to drive, unlike my generation, and so I'm starting to wonder how many safety nannies I want in the thing carting around my 16 year plus investment of time and money).

I don't feel comfortable working on my Tundra anymore, the driveway has a slope to it now and it's just too big all around. This past fall I could barely lift the wheels into the bed to take to a shop to have my snows installed. I like the simplicity of the two vehicles and would miss that, but neither is new & reliable anymore.

In many ways I'm beaten by middle age. I've accomplished the goals I set out for in life, found some disappointing, some satisfying, but all have been accomplished, and now am settling for whatever makes my life easier. The only long term plans I have now is retirement and death--getting new toys is all that is left that doesn't take 20+ years of waiting.
Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 08:42 PM

Sell the Tundra and 1999 Camry. Buy something used that you like.
Posted By: 02SE

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 08:47 PM

There are no guarantees in life.

Being retired and being able to do whatever you want every day, is hard to beat, IMO. If delaying buying a new vehicle means you can retire sooner, I'd advise that.
Posted By: Supersonic

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 09:01 PM

The commute gets me, I don't have but 12 minutes, so my downsize plan would be about $1 to 4k and a Corolla, reliable, easy to work on, and parts availability. With the commute I'd be looking at the 4 cyl Camry or Rav4. I'd get a trailer or rent something for hauling when necessary. Of course, I'd rather budget a used car and update all the service work then have a car payment, there's lots of satisfaction and just having something interesting to do that appeals to me as much as having a new car might.
Posted By: Pew

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 09:10 PM

I look at my bank account and realize, I can't afford a new car.
Posted By: Passport1

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 09:49 PM

I enjoy browsing and then buying parts to fix an older car rather than worrying about washing and waxing a new car. Anybody can buy a new model, just a select few can keep a seasoned one running.

The older a running car is the more cachet it has.
Posted By: Quattro Pete

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pew
I look at my bank account and realize, I can't afford a new car.

Even more impressive is looking at your bank account, seeing a ton of money there, and still restraining yourself from buying a new car. smile
Posted By: fsdork

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 10:00 PM

I find that taking my current vehicle to be detailed (one that deserves it, not the Crown Vic) is refreshing. It's not as exciting as a new vehicle, but it helps.
Posted By: gman2304

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by 02SE
There are no guarantees in life.

Being retired and being able to do whatever you want every day, is hard to beat, IMO. If delaying buying a new vehicle means you can retire sooner, I'd advise that.

^ This! I bought my last new vehicle in 1995 when I was 43 years old and drove it for 19 years. My current 2005 Chevy truck, bought used in 2014, runs like a top. 2 vehicles in 25 years, and If my current truck grenades tomorrow, I’ll buy used again. My wife gets a “new” CPO car every 5 to 6 years. Scratching that new car itch, costs a lot of scratch! I retired at 62 and have had 6 Saturdays and 1 Sunday in every week since.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/25/20 10:39 PM

I like a relatively new car in the mix, but I've also had the Club Sport for over 24 years- and the Wrangler for nearly 18 years.
Posted By: jimbrewer

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 12:26 AM

I think of the stuff I could do with the money that doesn’t involve cars.

I remind myself that I am in the sweet spot that I angled for. That is, having a reliable, presentable paid-for vehicle for a few years was why I bought the last car new and maintained it so carefully. What feels like a new car itch is the payoff.

Don’t worry. It won’t last forever.
Posted By: super20dan

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 12:43 AM

its an itch I ignore. newest is a 2003

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Originally Posted by wog
Do a lease

I just saw the 2 hour commute you posted otherwise I wouldnt have even made the Murano lease tease smile

That was my limit.

Now I just quite working last November Im putting 7K a year on the car so I can do these short mileage give-a-way leases.

I you recall I just got the Jetta and now its done in 10 months!

I'm thinking VIntage restored truck or car next.

Don t need the commuter car.

Bradley GT glass job on the classic VW pan?

Small world, I do a 1 hour commute to Wilmington everyday. Been doing it for 6 years now.
Posted By: OVERKILL

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 01:11 AM

I buy a new car... ontome

Seriously though, it's a hard habit to get out of because of how easily these things can be to justify to oneself. I like to say every one of mine was justified, but really, some of the decisions were not financially prudent. We've owned 9x vehicles since our 2002 Expedition, which is ridiculous.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 01:53 AM

I'm 43 and I hate to say it but I'm starting to feel entitled.....In many ways I'm beaten by middle age. .

Holey sheet man, you've got young kids, no time to back off now. According to the Oxford English Dictionary middle age is between about 45 and 65 so you aren't even there yet.

No reason to drive 2 hours/day, 30k/year in a penalty box if you don't absolutely have to.
Posted By: Wolf359

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 02:48 AM

I'm 43 and I hate to say it but I'm starting to feel entitled. I've tried to talk myself into a Yaris and then a Prius C for my commute (which is 55 minutes each way according to my phone); it's all highway and all of 54 miles according to Google. A Yaris (or a C) might last a long time but I'm afraid I'd be right back to where I am now after a few years, and others on this site talked me out of it each time. The last time I shopped I got my Camry and while it's been wonderful, I wonder when it's time to move on. The Camry is easy to repair and I feel like I should keep it as a spare vehicle, but I'm not sure I want to pass it down to any new drivers (call me a nanny if you want but I've grilled my kids and confirmed that they have no desire to drive, unlike my generation, and so I'm starting to wonder how many safety nannies I want in the thing carting around my 16 year plus investment of time and money).

I don't think you need to get a brand new car, something that's in the 3-5 year range would probably work. Typically the depreciation at that point is in the 30-60% range but the car will probably last at least 3-4x as long. With the kind of mileage you drive, I'd like to see you get a CPO Mercedes with the 3 years unlimited mileage warranty. Imagine getting warranty service on it when it's at 140k. There's just lots of newer technology that a 20+ year old car doesn't have. I don't even remember how many airbags my car has, maybe 8 or nine. Usually the older cars only had two. Newer cars are basically safer, stability control, traction control, ABS and a bunch of other things vs a 20 year old.

On the transmission, I wouldn't say they're toast at 150k, probably more like the 200-300k range if you change the fluid and filter often. Assuming that whatever car you get doesn't have underlying transmission problems.
Posted By: 4WD

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 02:52 AM

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 03:57 AM

With cars getting rusty in your area, I know it's been discussed before but in the long run it's probably best to find a car down south and then drive it up or have it shipped. Probably $800 to have it shipped from FL to NH. I'm sure you could find a BITOG'er to go look at a car for you, myself included, although I'm quite far away.

If someone looked at it for you and it checks out, you could buy over the phone and either have it shipped or get a cheap flight and drive it home in 2 days.
Posted By: Tdbo

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 04:30 AM

I have purchased more new cars than used, but I generally wear the bleep out of them. My last new car was the Accord in my signature. It replaced a 13 year old Taurus with 275K (bought that one new also.)
I generally buy a leftover year model new in December/January and aim for used car value as a target price. I came within $100.00 of that when I purchased the Accord. Best of both worlds: new car smell, while avoiding much of the first years depreciation.
Even if I come within 1-2K difference buying 1yr old new vs. used, I'll go new. Wear/tear on tires, brakes, etc. will eat much of that difference up, plus the difference in cost between the two given the length of ownership is minimal.
The bonus is that I know the service history of the vehicle.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 05:13 AM

With cars getting rusty in your area, I know it's been discussed before but in the long run it's probably best to find a car down south and then drive it up or have it shipped. Probably $800 to have it shipped from FL to NH. I'm sure you could find a BITOG'er to go look at a car for you, myself included, although I'm quite far away.

If someone looked at it for you and it checks out, you could buy over the phone and either have it shipped or get a cheap flight and drive it home in 2 days.

That's a really nice thing to do but would you make a $10-15k buying decision based on a stranger's once over? Not me. And if something is wrong with the car or goes wrong? Less money for 1 way (or round trip if you don't like it) airfare and you know what you're buying.
Posted By: wtd

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 05:25 AM

I just have to look at the prices of new vehicles these days and my "itch" goes away. My last new vehicle was my 14 Mustang GT which I've had for 6.5 years. I'm also retired so buying a new vehicle is probably not the smartest thing to do living on a fixed income but at some point I will have to start spending my 401K and at that point, I may buy one more new vehicle.
Posted By: Skippy722

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 05:33 AM

I'm 43 and I hate to say it but I'm starting to feel entitled.....In many ways I'm beaten by middle age. .

Holey sheet man, you've got young kids, no time to back off now. According to the Oxford English Dictionary middle age is between about 45 and 65 so you aren't even there yet.

No reason to drive 2 hours/day, 30k/year in a penalty box if you don't absolutely have to.

I absolutely agree. Financially, environmentally, and logically a smaller car that gets better gas mileage is all I need to drive the mere 30 minutes to and from work. But I am far far happier doing it in my 300. I like that car so much, I’ll just go out for a midnight drive in it occasionally.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 06:02 AM

That's a really nice thing to do but would you make a $10-15k buying decision based on a stranger's once over? Not me. And if something is wrong with the car or goes wrong? Less money for 1 way (or round trip if you don't like it) airfare and you know what you're buying.
People are doing it all the time now with Vroom and Carvana. JustinH on here just bought an Escape online without ever seeing it.
Posted By: JTK

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 10:49 AM

Going out and giving my vehicle(s) a good clean-n-scrub or doing some light maintenance on them usually scratches the itch for me.

I'm terrible with the car bug though and almost never keep them more than 3-4yrs.

I don't do boats or any sort recreational vehicle stuff, so that's my sad justification of my poor financial choice with this. LOL

One day imma try the mail order used car thing and for sure given my decent luck with ex-rentals, will be trying hertz rent2buy or the likes. Depends on the specific deal of course. Finding a "deal" is what usually sends me spiraling out of control. Wheeeeeee!!

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by wtd
I just have to look at the prices of new vehicles these days and my "itch" goes away. My last new vehicle was my 14 Mustang GT which I've had for 6.5 years. I'm also retired so buying a new vehicle is probably not the smartest thing to do living on a fixed income but at some point I will have to start spending my 401K and at that point, I may buy one more new vehicle.

You sound like my dad; he’s been retired six years and hasn’t touched his 401k yet (now 68). And that’s probably been a good thing with the way the market has performed since he’s been retired - I think we’ve only had one down year in the last six - he retired with somewhere around 300k...I imagine now it’s up around $470k-$500k.

My dad leases now, he spent his whole life buying and driving clunkers. Now he just goes into the dealer and trades his lease in every two years. Low mileage leases, customer “loyalty rebate”, whatever other “deal” they run...and he usually walks away paying between $200-$250 a month for a loaded Honda CRV. He likes doing it because he doesn’t have to worry about car repairs anymore...no more tire replacements or check engine lights, brakes, exhaust. Nothing. He just turns them over with 20,000 miles on them and he’s into the next one. Probably not for everyone, but it’s stress free for him.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 01:10 PM

And I understand exactly what the both of you are saying...was/am in the same situation. Drive a lot, big commute...probably 28,000 miles a year...in my 40’s. And I did this for a long time in an old Honda Accord. Bare bones car...kept it till 289,000 miles. At some point I just realized...hey, I’m spending two hours a day in this thing. Everyone is enjoying their lives - or at least tryin to - I’m spending two hours a day in my car, why don’t I enjoy myself a little bit? You can’t take the money with you when you go...wife has a nice car, my kids have nice things...I’m the one making most of the money...why not do something for myself? So I sold the Accord and bought a Lexus LS460. Kept that five years, traded it in for a new truck. Now I’m two years into this truck...my “itch” is gone, practical me is back...and I kind of wish I bought something used at half the price.

We go through phases - sometimes it’s best to allow them to happen - then reassess where you are and what you feel like doing. Me? I’m going to drive this truck all the way to my retirement (13 more years). The truck will be 15 years old at that time with 350,000 miles. I have a feeling I’ll get the “itch” again way before that. Lol.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 01:11 PM

I bought my '02 on eBay. I bid and didn't expect to win it. Had to tell my wife, "Honey, did I mention I bought a 2002 on eBay?" She was cool with it- and it ended up being my son's first car.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Originally Posted by wog
Do a lease

That was my limit.

Small world, I do a 1 hour commute to Wilmington everyday. Been doing it for 6 years now.

I had to get off 495 S in Andover at 133 and go through town to get to Ballardvale street the back way.

Too much traffic down 93S or up RT114.

Funny and sad about that "accident a day" merge at Dascomb Road due to breakdown travel permitted.
If the State was interested in safety they would move that daytime breakdown permission up a couple exits.

Also If you are in left or middle lane its 80-85 MPH not 60 ! Moron public!

See now I have commute PTSD!

smile

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 07:01 PM

Thanks all, good input.

Spoke with the wife and she pointed out that now is a good time to buy new, if I was going to. Her car has another 3 to 5 years before it will need replacing. We wouldn't want two payments at the same time. BUT. There's the rub. If anything happens to her car between now and then, we're stuck having to buy her a new car--she really can't deal with a beater, I mean, I have rudimentary DIY skills and "know" what ought to be done when it breaks down. She doesn't.

So it makes more sense to wait until car buying becomes something I can do out of pocket money OR it becomes absolute necessity. Sure is nice to think about though...
Posted By: DejaVue

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 11:06 PM

What do you guys do to avoid trading excessively?

I vacuum the interior of my current one(s).
Clean floor mats, seats, and no dust on the dash give the impression of a new car.

And thoroughly clean the windows inside and out.

Suddenly, with little effort, being in the car is a nicer place to be.

Super-clean windows also means from the outside the top half of the car look better than the top half of 99% of other cars.
Posted By: Alfred_B

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/26/20 11:10 PM

The thought of dealing with a car salesman very quickly keeps me away from getting a new car
Posted By: Malo83

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/27/20 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
The thought of dealing with a car salesman very quickly keeps me away from getting a new car

Best way to buy a new car is thru the Dealer Internet Mgr. bought my last three vehicles this way, find the car you want and haggle on your computer, only time you spend at the dealer is to pick up your new car, cheers
Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/27/20 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Malo83
Originally Posted by Alfred_B

Best way to buy a new car is thru the Dealer Internet Mgr. bought my last three vehicles this way, find the car you want and haggle on your computer, only time you spend at the dealer is to pick up your new car, cheers

I did that with my Jetta. Car was sitting in the show room waiting for me. Didn't waste much time at all and I feel like I got a great deal on it.
Posted By: emmett442

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/27/20 01:16 PM

As has kind of been mentioned, the only real answer to this question besides buying a new car is keep some long term financial goals in sight. If you have none, then the itch will never go away. But, if you have a real goal that you are working towards, a new car will barely be a fleeting thought that'll be incredibly easy to forget.

Works for me. I have other plans for my money besides sinking it into what is the rabbit hole of upgrading cars. Reminding myself about investments, other sources of income, vacations, kid's aspirations, retirement, etc. all make the new car itch seem insignificant.
Posted By: pandus13

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/27/20 06:12 PM

Supton/OP,

If you cannot have the new/new-ish truck, what would be the next vehicle on the list?
May i recommend something with good seats?

Also, in your area, what do you see in the long commute range? mid-size/full-size... Just to know where you would be in 2-3 years.

Also, would the truck be ok to be replaced by a minivan (covered truck)? until kids fly from the nest?

In my case I kept the Yaris for 10 years - 64kmiles and sell it to Carmax in pristine shape (even with 1 accident 8 years before).

I got tired and bored about it, so I got the GSW as a 2-years old, 5k miles, demo for 1/2 price.($15k)

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/27/20 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by emmett442
As has kind of been mentioned, the only real answer to this question besides buying a new car is keep some long term financial goals in sight. If you have none, then the itch will never go away. But, if you have a real goal that you are working towards, a new car will barely be a fleeting thought that'll be incredibly easy to forget.

Works for me. I have other plans for my money besides sinking it into what is the rabbit hole of upgrading cars. Reminding myself about investments, other sources of income, vacations, kid's aspirations, retirement, etc. all make the new car itch seem insignificant.

I'm tired of long term goals... I thought planning 5 years into the future was a long time, now waiting 25 years for retirement... when I was 18 I thought 4 years of college was a lifetime (might as well have been, let's face it, I was a different person at 18 than I was at 14). 25 years now is still a huge portion of my lifetime--it's 5 years more than I've been working! Sure feels like another lifetime.

Our kids keep us too busy for vacations, and I didn't bother to save for their college bills, so nadda there. About the most I am hoping for is to shave 5 years off our mortgage so that it's done when I retire.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Supton/OP,

If you cannot have the new/new-ish truck, what would be the next vehicle on the list?

I'm back to just keeping my old car and running it. There's a chance I'll get my wife's Camry in 3-5 years when she gets a new car.

I'm toying with downsizing the Tundra into a first gen Tacoma, a 2WD model, maybe extended cab. Low bed height and could pull into the garage. Seems like it'd be the same price as any cute ute but easier to repair and with an I4 it might do ok on mpg if I had to drive it any distance--but very likely a lousy (loud) ride at that.

May i recommend something with good seats?

Also, in your area, what do you see in the long commute range? mid-size/full-size... Just to know where you would be in 2-3 years.

Most everyone has cars less than 10 years old. wink Large number of crossovers if anything.

As I mull over options I'm not against a minivan but the last time I thought about it, everyone on here said to go new or to not bother--they get too beat up and they are not reliable at high miles.

If I had to pick a budget, it'd be zero--sell my truck for $10k or so, immediately push $5k into a Roth to "hide" it, then split off a repair fund of a grand or two, spend the rest on something for runabout beater (like a 2WD pickup). Seems foolish to have a net sum zero plan though, which is why I haven't executed on any plan.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/28/20 02:52 AM

People are doing it all the time now with Vroom and Carvana. JustinH on here just bought an Escape online without ever seeing it.

Yeah but it's their decision alone and they can give it back in 7 days if they don't like it. Try that with a car that some guy on a forum checked out for you and you bought it and had it shipped.
Posted By: ffhdriver

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/28/20 07:39 PM

I have a similar itch. Ever so often I start looking for a new electronic "something".
Posted By: Saabist

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/29/20 03:58 AM

For me the best salve for the itch if it manifests itself is to think of the payment book. That's a cold shower right there if there ever was one. I haven't bought a new car for about 35 years now (and only bought that one due to a car allowance from my then-employer) and have no desire to get back on that treadmill.
Posted By: Ws6

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/29/20 06:08 AM

To keep myself from going down the path, I usually do my best to search for problems with the vehicle, and try to run the math against my budget, but lately I've been feeling the need to change vehicles, again. I don't know why but i'm getting tired of driving a 20 year old Camry 2 hours a day--I'll drive my truck for a bit, see if that scratches the itch, but by golly it is nice to go into my garage and go, no need to scrape the windshield--and the truck doesn't fit in the garage, period. [No joke, I think I've gone all winter so far w/o cleaning my car off once--wow is that nice or what. And to get in&out while out of the weather...] I know the truck is suffering from sitting all the time. Stuff rusts even just sitting. Also... we've all griped about it--the move to SUV's and trucks means darn near every vehicle on the road is blinding me now.

Anyhow. What do you guys do to avoid trading excessively? Do you just keep modifying your car, keep changing it into something slightly enough different?

I don't do so well with it honestly. That said, I typically have issues with vehicles and that leads to a trade, or my lifestyle changes and I need a different kind of vehicle.

How I currently stay in my cx5 turbo vs trading for a rav4 prime or something, is that it does everything I need it to do, its comfortable, and has all the things I want, and I know as soon as I get "the next best thing ", the next best thing will arrive a year later. Its dumb to chase that. So, I plan to keep my vehicle for 8 years/250k miles, and then move on. At 250k miles, if it's still running, I'll have trust issues due to miles alone, honestly.
Posted By: madRiver

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/29/20 11:08 AM

In the future never buy a penalty box like that. My neighbor commutes to Boston over an hour in their 2002 Lexus ES300 and loves it.
Posted By: Duffyjr

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/29/20 05:09 PM

I decided along time ago I would never buy new again (1988ish). Ten years later I decided I would never take out a loan on a depreciating vehicle again and eventually that became rule of thumb for anything I want to buy, cash only. To many nice used vehicles out there, you just have to find them.
Posted By: wtd

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/30/20 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by wtd

You sound like my dad; he’s been retired six years and hasn’t touched his 401k yet (now 68). And that’s probably been a good thing with the way the market has performed since he’s been retired - I think we’ve only had one down year in the last six - he retired with somewhere around 300k...I imagine now it’s up around $470k-$500k.

My dad leases now, he spent his whole life buying and driving clunkers. Now he just goes into the dealer and trades his lease in every two years. Low mileage leases, customer “loyalty rebate”, whatever other “deal” they run...and he usually walks away paying between $200-$250 a month for a loaded Honda CRV. He likes doing it because he doesn’t have to worry about car repairs anymore...no more tire replacements or check engine lights, brakes, exhaust. Nothing. He just turns them over with 20,000 miles on them and he’s into the next one. Probably not for everyone, but it’s stress free for him.

I've only been retired about 2.5 years and I'm almost 53 years old. I retired with about the same amount in my 401K as your dad did and It's done okay since.
Posted By: ediamiam

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/30/20 08:45 AM

That new car itch will go away really quick after dealing with car salesmen. Got stood up twice at the same dealership with an appointment both times, checkbook in hand. Sent a nastygram to the salesman and his manager saw it. Got a 3rd salesman and he said they didn't have the car on the lot I was looking at but could get one in 48 hours. No response. Done with those fools, high volume dealership and the price was good.
Posted By: Eric Smith

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/30/20 01:47 PM

My wife squashes whatever itch I have with a hammer. She wants the house paid off (this year) and money in the bank. The Focus is a ongoing mess and with the recent Escape issue I'd like to get her something newer, I'd like to have some of the new tech such as bluetooth and adaptive cruise control. But we don't drive but 5-6k per vehicle and I ride the bike everyday so they should last quite a bit longer if I feel like fixing on occasion, and she's still ok with what we have. We haven't had a car payment in 7 years, the RV was paid off 3 years ago, so whatever we get will be paid for with cash. Although recently she's asked me when I'm going to buy another bicycle.. lol, really don't need another though.. she's a keeper!

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 01/30/20 02:29 PM

My wife saw I was looking at a 370Z and told me that I should go ahead and get a two seater as we already had a couple of cars the could carry a couple of people. The 370Z deal fizzled but I still have a green light if something interesting turns up.
Posted By: Cujet

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 02/01/20 04:51 AM

What do you guys do to avoid trading excessively? Do you just keep modifying your car, keep changing it into something slightly enough different?

A reliable and capable vehicle is a necessity for many of us. A new car purchased right and kept for a while is always ok. I don’t see cars as status symbols, I see them as fun to use tools. As such, I don’t believe in cars that don’t provide driving pleasure. Quite often an old and tired vehicle is just no fun anymore.

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 02/01/20 04:32 PM

I think I might switch to driving my truck for the next week, see what that is like. I slowed down on my commute last week, as I think the car has some droning that might not be in the audible range--or outside of what I can hear--for the last year I've been fighting hearing loss and I swear, it wasn't bad over the Christmas break--when I wasn't driving my car. Anyhow, while driving at sane speeds I noticed that my car has vibrations that come and go, one at 25mph, another around 70 (let alone everything above that). I wonder if that is not wearing on me. I also tried wearing earplugs yesterday (yes illegal I know) and I think it too made a difference. The truck itself has its own issues (tires flat spot, although sometimes I think u-joint) and of course would cost an extra $40 per week in gas.
Posted By: Delta

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 02/01/20 05:56 PM

I think I might switch to driving my truck for the next week, see what that is like. I slowed down on my commute last week, as I think the car has some droning that might not be in the audible range--or outside of what I can hear--for the last year I've been fighting hearing loss and I swear, it wasn't bad over the Christmas break--when I wasn't driving my car. Anyhow, while driving at sane speeds I noticed that my car has vibrations that come and go, one at 25mph, another around 70 (let alone everything above that). I wonder if that is not wearing on me. I also tried wearing earplugs yesterday (yes illegal I know) and I think it too made a difference. The truck itself has its own issues (tires flat spot, although sometimes I think u-joint) and of course would cost an extra $40 per week in gas.

Definitely an advantage to having an extra vehicle, I try and switch it up as much as I can to not get bored with one. During good weather I'll take the GTI out, but that's few and far between during the winter around here. They seem to keep salt on the mountain all winter long, dry or wet. Although I find myself in the truck more often than not, I've put on 10K miles since April. Uses more fuel (21 in the truck vs 35ish in the VW), but still only around $30-$35 a week. Been debating dumping the VW for a little bit now; I find myself liking to drive the truck more.
Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 02/01/20 09:19 PM

$$$
Posted By: pandus13

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 02/01/20 10:21 PM

1. you buy a new car
2.you don't buy a car and sing th old time hit "Money in the bank"
3.you buy a new-ish car. Demo/loaning car works too
4.you get a better used car (with the wish list checked)
5.you get a really used car
6.you keep what you have
7.you keep what you have and repair it in tip-top shape, even if it has 400k miles
8.You take a trip south and rent a vroom-vroom car. Find an empty parking lot.
Posted By: LoneRanger

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 02/02/20 10:19 PM

I have no advice because i myself have no defense if the new car itch strikes me. It doesn't real often. Average about 9 yrs of ownership. Had the Forester just short of 11 yrs. But the itch struck, aggravated by wife getting a new one and the New Car Smell of hers was too intoxicating I guess. Before I knew it, had the "I wants" for something new. Ended up being a truck. Under utilized. But it makes me happy.

I say it depends on your age a bit too. If you're older like me, might as well enjoy a new vehicle if you can, life's short.
Posted By: JeffKeryk

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 02/02/20 10:21 PM

I ain't buying no more cars!
Except Sue asked me about a Model Y on the way home from Costco...
Somebody stop me!
Posted By: OVERKILL

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 02/02/20 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I ain't buying no more cars!
Except Sue asked me about a Model Y on the way home from Costco...
Somebody stop me!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, my wife saw the Y and was like "BUY IT!" smirk
Posted By: meep

Re: How do you scratch the new car itch? - 02/03/20 05:25 PM

I hate to admit it, but the itch hits me after I've owned a vehicle for 18 months. I learned this over time. Then it stays until I buy something else. The thing that keeps me from buying again and again is knowing that in 18 months, I'll be "bored" with this one too. They never live up to the promise they offer.
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy