Toyota to Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw an article where Toyota is moving the Tacoma production to Mexico from Texas. The Sequoia will be made in the Texas plant to retain the 3,200 jobs

I have had two VWs made in Mexico and the fit and finish as well as the cars performances were and have been terrific! No complaints from me.

Originally Posted by Boomer
I have had two VWs made in Mexico and the fit and finish as well as the cars performances were and have been terrific! No complaints from me.

My daughter's Mazda 3 was made in Mexico and also excellent fit and finish.

I wouldn't worry about any vehicle made in Mexico.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Will it be located near any of the Ford plants?

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/made-in-mexico

Parts anyone ?

A9218191-BABC-4A33-8C39-E9CA07F463D2.png

I'd much rather stuff come from Mexico than China. Employing Mexicans, improving prospects there, which will reduce illegal immigration and improve quality of living for the people there is good. This is preferable over economic suicide, shifting IP, resources and technology to the world's largest emerging economy and arguably the largest threat to the west. Mexico isn't the world's largest consumer of coal nor are they building islands in international waters trying to expand their influence. Mexico isn't building aircraft carriers and dumping rip-offs of products produced with blatantly pirated IP on our shores.

For sure … Build the bollard fence with a huge trans-corridor freeway gate !

Just sold my 2019 Tacoma. It was built in Mexico. The "fit and finish" was lacking in comparison to many other Japan/U.S. built Toyotas that I have owned over the past several decades. No longer am I a fan of the Tacoma platform. To each his own.

Last edited:
The resale value on Tacoma is fantastic I believe it is still the #1 resale value in America with Tundra at #2 spot. I still get offers on my Gen 1 Tundra, though it is not for sale. I bet you good price when you sold the 2019.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I'd much rather stuff come from Mexico than China. Employing Mexicans, improving prospects there, which will reduce illegal immigration and improve quality of living for the people there is good. This is preferable over economic suicide, shifting IP, resources and technology to the world's largest emerging economy and arguably the largest threat to the west. Mexico isn't the world's largest consumer of coal nor are they building islands in international waters trying to expand their influence. Mexico isn't building aircraft carriers and dumping rip-offs of products produced with blatantly pirated IP on our shores.

what does ip mean?

Originally Posted by edwardh1
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

what does ip mean?

Intellectual property. Overkill's post is spot on too.

Originally Posted by e55amgbenz007
Just sold my 2019 Tacoma. It was built in Mexico. The "fit and finish" was lacking in comparison to many other Japan/U.S. built Toyotas that I have owned over the past several decades. No longer am I a fan of the Tacoma platform. To each his own.

My Japan-made 2019 Prius is the same way. They did something to the plastic that makes it feel cheaper and brittle.

They peaked at the 1992 Cressida, 1999 Camry, IMO.

Originally Posted by wdn
The resale value on Tacoma is fantastic I believe it is still the #1 resale value in America with Tundra at #2 spot. I still get offers on my Gen 1 Tundra, though it is not for sale. I bet you good price when you sold the 2019.

Luckily, I was able to get the full loan balance satisfied by the new owner. I was thrilled to be able to get out of the loan without coming out of pocket.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by e55amgbenz007

My Japan-made 2019 Prius is the same way. They did something to the plastic that makes it feel cheaper and brittle.

They peaked at the 1992 Cressida, 1999 Camry, IMO.

For me, the third generation 4Runner (1996-2002) was the pinnacle of Toyota's attention to long lasting materials/equipment.

Ford's best plants are in Hermosillo.

In the bad old days when Chrysler was going down the tubes and they hired Lee Iacocca, the Lago Alberto plant near Mexico City was head and shoulders above anything Chrysler had in the US. In fact,Chrysler products enjoyed a Honda like reputation there based on the quality of the local production.

People complain about the VW quality coming out of Mexico for good reason, but since the problem is limited to VW, I would attribute that to the unbelievably low German business ethics more than anything that the Mexicans do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back