Noisy windshield wiper blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a wiper blade squawks as it moves across the windshield, does that mean that the rubber is hardening and it will soon be no good? Or can they last for months/years like this?

I just started hearing a squawk this week, from a blade that I installed in March (RainX Expert Fit conventional). My first guess was that the rubber was hardening and should be replaced, but then I searched online and found a lot of folks suggesting to simply clean it. RainX says to wipe the blade when you wash the car, with the soap, but I am wondering if squawking blades can last a long time in this state or not. I'd rather not use a blade just cuz it works, if the hardened rubber is going to scratch my windshield.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Well in California aren't those in violation of EPA standards?

In CA we all warsh our cars on the same day as a rain dance.
We never water the lawn though. Your neighbors will kill you.
Or at least protest in Sac.

I have replaced a few lately, rather simple after I got the hang of it.

Question is, should I?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Replace them. Costco, Amazon, O'Reilly will install 'em for you.

I believe a lot of it is the rubber taking a set while parked on the windshield. This is especially true if it shudders only in one direction.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Well in California aren't those in violation of EPA standards?

In CA we all warsh our cars on the same day as a rain dance.
We never water the lawn though. Your neighbors will kill you.
Or at least protest in Sac.

lol.gif

Rainx site said to use car wash soap on them, and so i used it on the blade & the windshield. Didn't change a thing, if anything it got worse. Today I've also seen skipping, which I hadn't noticed before, so I think the blade is toast. I decided to give Rainx another shot, because their blades have gone a long time for me in the past. If I get another one that has a short life, I will probably buy some of that 303 that was linked to above.

If the chatter is from a warped wiper arm it cn be twisted back to parallel with windshield. There is a video on you tube for this. Worked on the 95 in my sig.

I replaced it tonight and the new blade was quiet like the others, so it must not have been the arm itself.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
If the chatter is from a warped wiper arm it cn be twisted back to parallel with windshield. There is a video on you tube for this. Worked on the 95 in my sig.

I ordered a pair of all-weather blades, actually decent Trico ones, on Rock Auto for $ 13 shipped.

If they're over a year old just replace them.

Consumer reports did a study and said that they will fail at some point after 6 months, and they said that the more expensive ones wouldn't necessarily last longer, although IIRC this was before silicone blades came out.

When the price of silicones comes down a bit, I'll go for those.

Having said that, I have gotten great mileage out of Rainx, I'm pretty sure over a year on each, except for this one that went south this week.

I heard of people that use wd 40 to wipe the blades …. part of the rubber that contacts the windshield... not sure if that would work , I haven't tried it , spray some on a clean cloth then wipe

Originally Posted by Warstud
Get some 303...it does wonders on wipers >>>>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/303Autom...967ad5gIVQhx9Ch1ccwM0EAQYBSABEgLpZfD_BwE

This sounds great and I'd like to know myself however, I would be a bit reluctant only because I don't know any better!
Questions:

Doesn't the 303(even after it's dried) leave a film on the glass as the wipers pass?
Is there a specific process/technique for doing this?
Meaning;
Wipe it on, let is dry?
Wipe in on, wipe it dry?
Wipe it on, leave it cure for a day?
What?

Thanks,

CB

Last edited:
Is this car parked in the sun? Six months is a very short life for wiper blades unless you got a bad pair by chance. I still have my factory originals on the Mazda with just over two years in the rainy PNW.

If you wipe the blades with 303, let them dry off the windshield before using.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Originally Posted by Warstud
Get some 303...it does wonders on wipers >>>>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/303Autom...967ad5gIVQhx9Ch1ccwM0EAQYBSABEgLpZfD_BwE

This sounds great and I'd like to know myself however, I would be a bit reluctant only because I don't know any better!
Questions:

Doesn't the 303(even after it's dried) leave a film on the glass as the wipers pass?
Is there a specific process/technique for doing this?
Meaning;
Wipe it on, let is dry?
Wipe in on, wipe it dry?
Wipe it on, leave it cure for a day?
What?

Thanks,

CB
Exactly!
If I can use 303 on the wipers, but not on the glass, then 303 is not for me.

I wipe down my wiper blades when I Rain-X (spray) my windshield once a month or-so. Sometimes every-two-weeks in the winter, to minimize hard-frosting of the windshield.

First, clean your windshield and your blades. Then I would use a little 303 on the rubber. If that didn't work, get some new blades.

I get my rubber refills from Toyota and soak them several hours in a zip lock bag and a few tablespoons of 303. I flip the bag over several times
to help distribute the 303. I just take them out and dry them off and install.

Been doing this for several years with great success. Leaves no film on the glass.

I use RainX as my windshield spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back