Advice needed for hard bed cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently looking at 3 covers for my wife's GMC.

Extang Xceed

Roll-N-Lock Retractable.

BAKflip F1.

I REALLY like the Roll-n-Lock, but I think where the bed rolls up into towards the back of the cab ends up taking about 7 inches of space, and the cab is only 5 feet.

I would like one with Aluminum panels so I don't end up with some cracking vinyl top that is useless, or terribly faded after a few years.

All I can say is that you wish you could see the place in Albany (Central Ave.) I went to.

They have it all on display. Absolutely AA+ store.

I have a vinyl roll-up (came with the truck) and I think I like it due to how compactly it rolls up.

I have the Bakflip MX4 on my Raptor. The matte texture matches well with the other plastic on the truck. No complaints at this point other than a few spots of water get in towards the tailgate when I go thru a car wash or if it rains real hard. I imagine some adjustments could minimize that but it's so minimal I haven't messed with it.

ADC93E63-2109-437C-9678-5DEECCF75B65.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
I have the Bakflip MX4 on my Raptor. The matte texture matches well with the other plastic on the truck. No complaints at this point other than a few spots of water get in towards the tailgate when I go thru a car wash or if it rains real hard. I imagine some adjustments could minimize that but it's so minimal I haven't messed with it.

What is the top surface made out of? Something that will fade?

Originally Posted by montero1
I REALLY like the Roll-n-Lock, but I think where the bed rolls up into towards the back of the cab ends up taking about 7 inches of space, and the cab is only 5 feet.
I wouldn't worry about that on anything but a work truck. If you need the full bed length, you can just take it off. I've had pickups all of my life and the only time that would be an issue is hauling aggregates, going to the dump or helping someone move.

All covers will fade-with time. Even the heavy fiberglass ones painted to match the color of the truck will/and do fade. Also-there is not one made that won't let a few drops of water in-with maybe the exception of the fiberglass covers.

However-the fiberglass are the worst of choices-IMHO. They are heavy, and if you want to use a partial or the whole of your bed they need to come off and take a space as large as your truck bed to store. The hard tri folds-or canvas roll-ups can be stored just about anywhere.

That's why I see mainly fiberglass covers on show trucks-or work trucks that need to secure tools.

Last edited:

It is something textured but I'm not sure how they make it (sprayed/molded/other). I imagine it will fade over time but I'm ok with that as mentioned by others everything will weather over time, even painted fiberglass covers. I wanted something low profile that didn't stick up much above the bed rails and didn't take up too much of the precious little bed space I already had. I liked the rolling hard covers but they do steal quite a bit of space at the front of the bed.

I was thinking an aluminum cover will never fade...

You are right about that. Aluminum will rust-contrary to popular belief.

A company named Perogon has an aluminum bed cover. The aluminum cover was like new the whole time I owned it. Iwant to say at least 5 years.

I have a Fold-a-Cover on my 2001 Dodge. I like it much better than the soft tonneau on my 2008. The Fold-a-Cover gives instant access to the rear and front 1/4's of the bed, is lockable, and nearly waterproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back