Terminating a car lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
In the near future we may have to terminate a lease for an older relative in poor/failing health. I've been researching the options but 1st hand experience doing it is always appreciated. Questioning leases generally and older people's decisions not needed, he was in great health until recently. Life changing illness can happen to anyone at any age. I suspect it would be through GMAC. TIA for sharing.

I would find out the amount of the lease payoff and take it someplace like Carmax for an appraisal. If the appraisal is favorable and enough to take care of the balance he can sell it to them and be done with it. No worries about fees for condition or being over on miles, etc.

There could be penalties for termination of the lease and over mileage depending on how much it was driven. I would go directly to the dealer. You will likely be required to have some legal paper work to show you are authorized to do this.

Last edited:
Terminating a lease usually requires that all payments owed, AND the residual amount be paid, plus any contractual termination fee or end of lease purchase fees. You will 99 % NEVER get enough on a trade in to cover all the charges, more so if you are early in the lease where depreciation is highest.

Few options ...

Call the leasing company, and TALK. See what they say. Given it is a health issue, there might be something they can do. Never hurts to ask.

Try and find someone to assume the lease. There are various sites online dedicated to breaking a lease. And, if there was a downpayment involved, the lease payments are often lower, and more attractive to somebody looking to assume the lease. The person looking to assume the lease would need to qualify with the leasing company, and there is usually a transfer fee involved as well.

Try and sell the car privately. You will get more for it, and MAYBE even get close to the lease payout amount, depending on brand, age, condition etc.

Or stop paying, let the car get re-possessed, and deal with any credit issues / recovery actions at a later date. That might take years ...

Originally Posted by AZjeff
In the near future we may have to terminate a lease for an older relative in poor/failing health. I've been researching the options but 1st hand experience doing it is always appreciated. Questioning leases generally and older people's decisions not needed, he was in great health until recently. Life changing illness can happen to anyone at any age. I suspect it would be through GMAC. TIA for sharing.

I assume it is a GM vehicle and if so that perhaps it is leased with GM Financial. GM also has leases with Ally. For your sake, I hope it is NOT with Ally. They are very difficult to work with. I had an Ally lease a few years back. They wouldn't even quote me a payoff over the phone. There should be a lease contract (maybe in the glovebox?) that will outline early termination fees, disposition fees, etc. Depending how many months he is into the lease may determine the best course of action.

We don't expect to get him out even, looking for the least hassle and of course least financial hit. We're in Az, the car is in Fla so no private sales or lease assumptions. It's likely low miles and he's fussy so it's in nice condition and I think he's 2 years into it. We'll have details when we go to help out in early December. Carmax is a good idea but there aren't any close. It's touchy because he's fine mentally and there's a line between helping and none of your business.

Call the lease company and discuss options. They may just play hard ball and you have to see their side of this as they probably get "stories" like this every day with most not being true, just someone wanting out of their lease. Sadly, they may not "care" as long as your relative is living.

Those leases are pretty iron clad. Never really heard of anyone getting out of one which is why swap a lease is popular. Either try to transfer it or have some family member drive it until the lease is up, there's usually no easy out for it unless the lease owner is dead. Leasing is only good for a certain segment of the population. I don't think it's good for someone who's elderly and might not be able to use it for the full term of the lease.

Once you know what the payoff is check out Carvana, Vroom, and KBB Cash Offer. There's a thread on leasehackr with a ton of positive feedback for both Carvana and Vroom. They'll usually come pick the car up from you.

Originally Posted by fisher83
I would find out the amount of the lease payoff and take it someplace like Carmax for an appraisal. If the appraisal is favorable and enough to take care of the balance he can sell it to them and be done with it. No worries about fees for condition or being over on miles, etc.

+1 especially if the vehicle is in better than average condition with below average miles. Carmax gave me a very fair buyout when I was unloading my 2017 Odyssey, but another Honda dealer (not the one I leased from) gave me a slightly better deal.

Hopefully you are at least 2 years into the lease. Otherwise ouch. Gonna hurt either way.
As others have said, call the dealer and discuss.
It will be easier if you buy another car...
Maybe one of those mid engine Corvettes....
Or another family member could take over the lease?

Good luck.

Last edited:
Contract contract contract. Find the lease contract, it will be in there. They may list extenuating circumstances as an out.

I agree with the others - give the lease company a an honest call and discuss. If they won't help then just let them reposses it - I am sure being sick and old, he doesn't care about any negative credit hits.

GMAC could care less about situation but still explain it. The reason why is average lease is akin to a 15% interest rate on a car loan and lucrative.

That being said call ask for early termination and how much due for early termination. Provide the mileage Go to dealer and turn in.

Good luck!

Contact GM to see if they'll allow you to sell the lease to another party. It's a little more involved because GM Financial (or whoever they're called) will need to qualify the buyer. CARMAX is going to be a waste of your time. If the lease is only in the name of the individual then just let GM repo the vehicle. From the sound of it the relative isn't going to need to worry about his credit history.

I would talk nicely with whoever the lease is with. Not the dealer. Explain the situation. Say you are helping but are not financially responsible. Mention the current and expected medical bills if known. Mention the lease holder is no longer able to safely drive or no longer has a license (if true). My guess is they will help you out. Consider having the relative give up license prior to calling the leasing company.

I am having to do a lot of stuff for my Mom who is in a nursing home. I have had extremely bad luck when trying to take care of canceling stuff and generally taking care of her business. Most of the time, if they can speak with her on the phone everything is fine. I do understand they are protecting her. I'm not criticizing the process. The most difficult time I has was changing her address on her credit card. WOW!

Do you think he will cooperate with you?

I hope they will talk with you without him okaying it and being involved.

Originally Posted by madRiver
GMAC could care less about situation but still explain it. The reason why is average lease is akin to a 15% interest rate on a car loan and lucrative.

That being said call ask for early termination and how much due for early termination. Provide the mileage Go to dealer and turn in.

Good luck!

I'm not sure you really know what you're talking about. The interest rate is the money factor. Sometimes they advertise a really low monthly rate and maybe if the leasee doesn't do their homework, they might slip in a high money factor, but that ends up jacking up the monthly payment. You basically multiply the money factor by 2400 to get the equivalent interest rate and if you do that on the promos that the car manufacturers are offering all the time, they're in those reasonable ranges of 3-8% depending on the car/model.

The standard provisions for early termination is the rest of the lease payments plus some penalty. Basically cheaper to keep it for the term. Only way out is normally to have someone else assume the lease.

I have never done a lease but is it possible a insurance policy for early termination or similar may have been presented to the buyer? They may have taken the offer.

I know this happens on regular loans for situations where you cannot pay it off due to health reasons.

Check the paperwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back