The painful death of my parents 2009 Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents 2009 Ford Fusion V6 with the sport appearance package was simply a fantastic car that was very problem free. She has 282,000 as of today and the drivetrain ran like a top. The last year my sister has taken over the car and as a younger driver and always waiting till the last minuet to leave the house for work she has always been in a rush. She has had a couple minor bumps like knocking the mirror off on the side of the garage and she slid off the road last winter resulting in minor repairs that I took care of at my body shop. We all told her to leave for work a few minutes early so your not rushed. Today, she totaled the car out badly. She is okay, the car is destroyed. My sister went to pass a line of cars that were driving to slow on a 2 lane rural road and some one turned in front of her.

Obvious damage to the right front corner of the car, air bag deployed, every panel gap on the car is mis-aligned, buckle in the roof and it even chipped the tail light and tightened the gap on the trunk to quarter panel. Also, folded the lower control arm up, broke the wheel in half, crushed the hinge pillar, ect

R.I.P

2756E7A9-5BEB-4158-A817-BF3ECCD79880.jpeg

11A0B0AE-AAA7-4876-B358-1155A7EE972F.jpeg

44F18AFF-B8E5-4C27-B296-89A53415C0FC.jpeg

389B74ED-B5B2-4097-9AF6-932747B08C32.jpeg

89155EF9-3813-4AA5-A09F-B40747F6B53E.jpeg

3179CD7C-AAE3-4305-B828-67571B1BD6CD.jpeg

77BBA40C-F033-4029-B9BD-96BD7F02AA6E.jpeg

So, your sister made a really low percentage move and the car protected her from the consequences of driving beyond dumb.
Glad that she's okay and the Fusion did give nearly 300K before its demise. It looks like it was a very nice and well looked after car, especially for one used in the salt belt.
I hope that your sister learns from this since if there is a next time St. Christopher might not be looking after her.

It's still my parents car, and was my sisters fault for passing a line of cars. Being a older car with a lot of miles my parents put the car on liability only. I hope my parents insurance pays for the other people my sister hit. Next place for the Fusion is a flatbed to the scrap yard

Originally Posted by fdcg27
So, your sister made a really low percentage move and the car protected her from the consequences of driving beyond dumb.
Glad that she's okay and the Fusion did give nearly 300K before its demise. It looks like it was a very nice and well looked after car, especially for one used in the salt belt.
I hope that your sister learns from this since if there is a next time St. Christopher might not be looking after her.

Exactly! I hope this is a life lesson that she learns from

Sounds like she would be at fault by trying to pass a car that is making a left turn.

How bad is the other driver and car? That could be a drivers side T-bone situation. Glad to hear shes OK but i hope she learned a life lone lesson.

I did a similar thing in highschool by looking around my center console for a cassette tape and didn't see the brake lights in front. I slammed on the brakes and turned left the slide passed them on the left side and they turned right in front of me.
frown.gif
I tagged their front quarter DS quarter panel with my 1982 AMERICAN steel front bumper. It was they eyes of the driver right before I hit them that I remembered most. No-one hurt, insurance covered other car. I was grounded until my cars damage could be paid for. (2 months of hard labor on the Winn Dixie stock crew)
smile.gif
That was ~40 years ago and still locked in like yesterday.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Sounds like she would be at fault by trying to pass a car that is making a left turn.

How bad is the other driver and car? That could be a drivers side T-bone situation. Glad to hear shes OK but i hope she learned a life lone lesson.

I did a similar thing in highschool by looking around my center console for a cassette tape and didn't see the brake lights in front. I slammed on the brakes and turned left the slide passed them on the left side and they turned right in front of me.
frown.gif
I tagged their front quarter DS quarter panel with my 1982 AMERICAN steel front bumper. It was they eyes of the driver right before I hit them that I remembered most. No-one hurt, insurance covered other car. I was grounded until my cars damage could be paid for. (2 months of hard labor on the Winn Dixie stock crew)
smile.gif
That was ~40 years ago and still locked in like yesterday.

The other driver went to the hospital with a hurt arm. I wasn't at the scene of the accident but my sister ripped the wheel tire and suspension off the mini van she hit. My dad said the mini van looked totaled

1777C9E9-681F-408C-B0BD-F74E5852C571.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm going to assume it was two lanes, one in either direction? She went in the opposing lane and someone in her lane tried to turn left? If so that's beyond dumb lol.

Her reckless perpetually late behavior ticks me off because the person in the other car didn't deserve to have their car damaged due to her inability to keep a schedule.

I bet the line of cars on that rural road were driving close to the speed limit, as they should. Young driver always running late and a selfish attitude means carnage. A common story here in farm country.

I hope she learns her lesson, for all of us on the road.

Originally Posted by LotI
I bet the line of cars on that rural road were driving close to the speed limit, as they should. Young driver always running late and a selfish attitude means carnage. A common story here in farm country.

I hope she learns her lesson, for all of us on the road.

Or they could have all been going 40 in a 55 because someone was going to turn shortly.. either way its a bad idea to pass. We have all done dumb things.

Hopefully no permanent injuries and a lesson learned.

Originally Posted by JC1
I'm glad she's ok and nobody else was hurt. Wonder if today is the day she'll learn her lesson.

Yep. She's ok and it's just a car that was wrecked.

Man that Fusion really took a hard hit. At least no one was seriously hurt.

Sounds like she passed the cars in a No Passing Zone or she drove across a double yellow line. She'll soon learn the reality of paying for new wheels and a higher insurance premium. But it's good no one was badly injured.

It appears the crumple/crash zones and safety features worked as designed since she walked away unhurt. Somebody could have ended up on the other side of that fence in the last pic posted. Be thankful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back