Pulling a bumper pull keystone outback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a neighbor and friend who is going to live in a camper and travel the country. He will relocate 3-5 times a year and some things have happened so he's in a hurry. He bought this camper it's a 27 foot bumper pull he said it weighs 5800lbs.
He wants to spend 15k tips on a truck. Could a half ton do this job or should he go bigger. All suggestions on trucks ect are appreciated.

Last edited:
5800lbs dry and at 27 feet it is about 30 overall. I bet he is close to 7000-7400lbs loaded.
My 32 footer is 6300 dry, it is 7800 lightly loaded with empty tanks, full propane and two batteries.
BIL and SIL have a 2013 Keystone Sprinter 26 footer they live in it. It is 8700lbs loaded with empty tanks.

A half ton will do it (depending on year, make and model), but at that length I would suggest at least an extra cab long bed, Equalizer E2 hitch and a good set of shocks.

15,000 doesn't get you much truck. Too bad, 3 months ago I would sold him my 02 3/4 ton with 56,000 miles on it for what the dealer gave me for it.

Sometimes if you look you can find a gas 3/4 ton or better cheap because the gas mileage is so poor.

I like having the 3/4 ton or better for that much trailer but it is certainly not necessary.

What has he looked out so far?

What city craigslist is he?

Last edited:
A frind of mine has a gas manual Chevy 2500 with a toy hauler and that's about the biggest you'd want to go. I would think 5800lbs would be fine, but with 15k to spend that could heca nice or high mileage truck depending on the location. If he's serious check out some retirement homes, many can't drive or don't need a second vehicle.

I have a 29ft 5500 lbs dry trailer that i pull with my avalanche. Probably 7000lbs or so loaded. It handles it ok, as the AV is heavy. I have upsized the front brakes and run a huge transcooler ( trucool LPD) .

I pulled it up black mountain a few weeks ago 6% grade. I was in second at 45mph. I don't have enough gears or quite enough HP. In a year or so, i will go 3/4 ton truck. I wish toyota or nissan made a 3/4 ton truck.

I second the Equal-I-zer hitch. I have the 10k bars.

Originally Posted by Fitter30
Chevy express passenger van 3/4-1 ton 6.0 engine

I always forget about the Van. They make an excellent tow vehicle in that configuration. They can usually be had relatively cheap.

Nissan makes the Titan XD which is possibly more realistic with it's towing capacity vs a few other makers that got into a tow rating war.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Nissan makes the Titan XD which is possibly more realistic with it's towing capacity vs a few other makers that got into a tow rating war.

15,000 dollars is not getting you a Titan XD

He is going to need to spend $20,000.00 to $25,000 for a decent half-ton truck-which- IMHO he is better off going to a 2500. His budget is not realistic.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
spasm3 In a year or so said:
I don't want to feed the unions. I like how that Titan looks and seemed to handle 11k in the above video. But i think i have to go 3/4 ton to get a truck with out carpet. My only requirements are 3/4 ton, 4wd, crew cab, and no carpet.

The Nissan Titan XDs have no resale value compared to the big three trucks. Not good if you're buying new, but good if you're buying used.

We pull a 24.5 ft Terry 5th wheel with our 2007 Ram1500 crew cab. Has helper springs set for 500lbs on the back and sits level. Have new shocks on it. Pulls it easy with the 5.7 Hemi and trailer brake hook up is a breeze with the tow package as there is a blue plug near the emergency brake for trailer brake controller. Get 10-11mpg towing it at 65mph.

Originally Posted by spasm3
[quote=spasm3 In a year or so, i will go 3/4 ton truck. I wish toyota or nissan made a 3/4 ton truck.

Why? Ford, GM and Ram make really good 3/4 ton and up trucks.

I only have the 800lbs bars for mine.

I don't want to feed the unions. I like how that Titan looks and seemed to handle 11k in the above video. But i think i have to go 3/4 ton to get a truck with out carpet. My only requirements are 3/4 ton, 4wd, crew cab, and no carpet.

Don't want to feed the unions? So you're going to send your money overseas instead? Doesn't make much sense. There is so much false information about unions being made up by anti-union groups it's sickening. Once the unions aren't there anymore you can be completely at the mercy of your master lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silverado12
[quote=spasm3 In a year or so, i will go 3/4 ton truck. I wish toyota or nissan made a 3/4 ton truck.

Don't want to feed the unions? So you're going to send your money overseas instead? Doesn't make much sense. There is so much false information about unions being made up by anti-union groups it's sickening. Once the unions aren't there anymore you can be completely at the mercy of your master lol.

I was hoping someone would say something besides me thinking it. Unions though not always perfect are vital for the average American worker. This country needs unions. That's all I'll say about it.

he'll be at the edge with a half ton. yes he can do it, no he shouldn't consider holding 70, 65, or even 60 mph. longest wheelbase truck he can find, he'll need.

I'm going to look hard at the Titan, 9400lbs towing capacity. 390hp. The XD has a towing capacity of 12k, not that i would do that.

Originally Posted by ram_man
Originally Posted by Silverado12

I was hoping someone would say something besides me thinking it. Unions though not always perfect are vital for the average American worker. This country needs unions. That's all I'll say about it.

The auto unions are adding to the "unaffordability" of the American automobiles. Have you read about the current UAW contract that was just voted in? And many of these workers are unskilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back