Anti theft measures for new truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2019 Chevy Colorado. The neighborhood Facebook page said trucks are being stolen from driveways in this area. Any ideas for a quick security device that I can install or have installed? I thought about a steering wheel lock or a switch to cut power to the fuel pump.

The method has to be easy to use and " wife compatible "

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Remove the keys and lock the doors is step number 1. How are they stealing these trucks in your neighborhood?

Best anti-theft? $0-deductible insurance.

That's why you get insurance in the first place - peace of mind.

BTW - The club is actually helpful for thieves. It provides leverage to break the steering wheel lock without any additional tools
smile.gif

If someone wants to steal your truck, they will. Don't think you are "outsmarting" someone determined to illegally obtain a $50k asset from your driveway.

main battery cut off manual switch, pop the front and remove main disconnect.
$12.
you an parallel a small battery to keep alive electronics but won't crank.

Originally Posted by Oldtom
I just bought a 2019 Chevy Colorado. The neighborhood Facebook page said trucks are being stolen from driveways in this area. Any ideas for a quick security device that I can install or have installed? I thought about a steering wheel lock or a switch to cut power to the fuel pump.

The method has to be easy to use and " wife compatible "

Thanks in advance for any advice.

get an OBD2 port alarm this will prevent a remote start from the OBD port.. as well

there is also OBD locks as well

Last edited:
If they want it....They will get it if it's accessible! Don't forget some of your more organized car thieves will tow your truck right out of your driveway using a Repo wheel lift.

Just don't keep valuables or a garage door opener in it. Nothing is 100%. Chevy Colorado isn't a big mover on the theft side of things. Would probably be more opportunistic or visually seeing stuff inside.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Just don't keep valuables or a garage door opener in it. Nothing is 100%. Chevy Colorado isn't a big mover on the theft side of things. Would probably be more opportunistic or visually seeing stuff inside.

A friend of mine his wife left her work laptop on the passenger seat overnight.. woke next day to a busted out window and missing lappy'. This was in La Jolla in a pretty middle to upper middle class neighborhood even. They figure the jerks were just prowling all the cars in the neighborhood that evening as there were two other smash and grabs that same night. And yes, they had a factory alarm that never went off.

Years ago i had my car busted into and everything taken while I was in the ER with my daughter.. how's that for low life's?

Last edited:
I wired in a fuel pump cutoff switch. It comes in very handy - I can leave the key in the ignition in certain situations and not worry about someone driving away with my truck.

Speaking of anti theft devices. It would be interesting to know just how the newer vehicles are standing up statistically, as far as having a lower percentage of theft, per say on average out of each 100,000 vehicles sold. When compared to models from the 80's and 90's. If they in fact are. One would think so, but sometimes in certain parts of the country it can be surprising. Thieves can get as creative as automotive designers.

Originally Posted by billt460
Speaking of anti theft devices. It would be interesting to know just how the newer vehicles are standing up statistically, as far as having a lower percentage of theft, per say on average out of each 100,000 vehicles sold. When compared to models from the 80's and 90's. If they in fact are. One would think so, but sometimes in certain parts of the country it can be surprising. Thieves can get as creative as automotive designers.

Back in the 1980's before chips were put in the keys and other technology to prevent thefts, just on my one block alone in NYC 1-2 cars per week were being stolen. All that had to be done after gaining entry with a slim jim was to break the ignition lock, push the exposed starting linkage and away you go.

I think what happened to slow those thefts down before the chips started to become common was the law of supply and demand. So many cars were being brought to chop shops that the price paid probably dropped to a hundred bucks or so on common cars. Probably not worth the risk of jail time for the reward.

Last edited:
Pop the hood and remove one of the essential relays from the fuse block. Fuel injection would be a good one. Thieves probably aren't carrying around a replacement relay for that specific vehicle.

If it's an option, park in a garage.

I like the idea of a Fuel or Starter Shut-off Switch (hidden) under the dash or some where.
Maybe even a 'decoy' Switch also.
This would also be helpful if your at any parking lot.
Anything to slow down the thief's.

Adding (or pointing) Security Lights in your yard ?

Talk to your neighbors to watch each others yards / simply looking out their windows.

Don't leave anything in your vehicle that could get stolen.
No coins
No paper work
NOTHING

And DO NOT leave your Garage Door Opener clipped to the visor.
If I park outside overnight, the Opener comes inside with me.

Enjoy your new vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back