Home

The "calm" before the rust belt storm...

Posted By: Railrust

The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/06/19 11:10 PM

Enjoying this good driving weather before we enter the dark, frozen, salt infested land of horror here in New England. Up here in the rust belt we spend half our year wondering where the sun went.

So in a couple months I'll be driving in darkness, spending my mornings scraping ice off my windshield and white knuckling my way to work wondering...geez who was the guy who forgot to put salt on this stretch of highway? As I spin around in circles like a ballerina with my life flashing before my eyes, as people look on in horror.

Six months of salt baked on to every square inch of my vehicle...on the condenser, all over the paint, windshield, undercarriage...just slowly eating away at my $35,000 dollar investment. Fun. Cheers. Why do we do this?

In November I'll do my 3rd treatment of Fluid Film...cross my fingers and hope for the best. Stuff has done pretty well so far in the first year and a half, not perfect but pretty good. Tough to win in this game, as the brime trucks blast their funky little spray into that pavement...or when you're stuck behind that salt truck for ten miles - as they bounce off your windshield like hail.

Anyone else trying to hold on to that last bit of sunlight and preparing their vehicles for 6 months of torture? Would love to hear some winterizing techniques and winter commuting horror stories.
Posted By: Onetor

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/06/19 11:23 PM

Out of curiosity, why don't people use their garages? I'm not in the NE at this time.....ignorance on my part...but, I certainly understand the lack of sun. Pacific NW living is interesting.....

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/06/19 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Onetor
Out of curiosity, why don't people use their garages? I'm not in the NE at this time.....ignorance on my part...but, I certainly understand the lack of sun. Pacific NW living is interesting.....

I have a one car garage...guess who gets it? Lol.

But the garage is nice, gives you the advantage of not having to scrape the ice off the windshield, however when you leave work, that's what you're dealing with as soon as you get out.
Posted By: bubbatime

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/06/19 11:35 PM

Save up some money, retire, live in Florida during the winter like the rest of the blue hairs do. Ill admist we have world class weather down here all winter long. Sucks in the summer though.
Posted By: bubbatime

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/06/19 11:35 PM

Save up some money, retire, live in Florida during the winter like the rest of the blue hairs do. I'll admit we have world class weather down here all winter long. Sucks in the summer though.
Posted By: littleant

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/06/19 11:39 PM

Oh boy I hear you. Throw in -30--40 where I am. You never win only delay the enevatble. I start thinking about winter in June. Now the leaves are starting to turn. Town loading up the salt bins. We see snow in October. Getting the 02 Jeep ready. Not rotted YET. The 2010 Mountaineer will go inside garage for a long winter sleep. No rust at all on her. Gee wiz thanks for the post. Now that's all I will think about. frown Please take me away UFO

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/06/19 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Save up some money, retire, live in Florida during the winter like the rest of the blue hairs do. I'll admit we have world class weather down here all winter long. Sucks in the summer though.

I definitely am thinking of warmer options for retirement...long way to go before that. I'm thinking Florida November - April (with a trip back north for Thanksgiving and Christmas).
Posted By: Bud

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/06/19 11:48 PM

100 here today. Come on down.

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/06/19 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by littleant
Oh boy I hear you. Throw in -30--40 where I am. You never win only delay the enevatble. I start thinking about winter in June. Now the leaves are starting to turn. Town loading up the salt bins. We see snow in October. Getting the 02 Jeep ready. Not rotted YET. The 2010 Mountaineer will go inside garage for a long winter sleep. No rust at all on her. Gee wiz thanks for the post. Now that's all I will think about. frown Please take me away UFO

Snow in October? Only seen that once where I am...town lost power for a week (leaves were still on the trees), had to cancel Halloween around here. Tough way to start the winter.
Posted By: madRiver

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/06/19 11:57 PM

I drive older rust bucket (2007 MDX near 200k miles) and don’t worry and enjoy the snow smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: doitmyself

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/06/19 11:59 PM

It's awfully fun to rant about things in a light-hearted fashion, but if you embrace the negativity for real, all you will accomplish is being really miserable. On the opposite spectrum, I can't imagine how people tolerate the brutal heat and humidity of the southern states. I love the change of seasons. All the green. All the water.

Que sera, sera. To each, their own. Wait a few years - climate change is going to turn our northern states into Shangri-La.

Waiting......waiting.....

popcorn2 Soon, a guy is going to comment that everyone has choices.
Posted By: A_Harman

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 12:01 AM

Come to think of it, I was running in snow from early December to late May last winter. I took the December snow in stride. But the May snow as a personal insult.

But I'd rather run in cold weather than hot. I'm just silly that way.
Posted By: billt460

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 12:06 AM

I hated living in the Midwest, (Chicago). The smartest thing I ever did was move to Arizona. The dumbest thing I ever did was wait until I was 38 years old to do it.
Posted By: Trav

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 12:07 AM

Anything decent is off the road and in the garage come Nov till Mid May and the rats (we both have one and there is an extra) comes on duty. If they get totaled or rot away I couldn't care less, strip it of good parts in the spring and scrap the shell.

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 12:11 AM

I remember about 15 years ago started some veggies seeds in pots first week in May. put
then outside to get some sun and by 2pm they were covered in 2-3 inches of you guessed it SNOW. Been here 30 years I was a young man then. Now at 65 I get cold at +50. Working on getting out. Maybe west coast of Oregon Bud Texas sounds good but Texas is to darn big. I probably get lost. smile
Posted By: daves87rs

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 12:25 AM

Thank god for a winter beater......
Posted By: Skippy722

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 01:00 AM

I’ll be giving the 300 a nice final wash and wax before winter. During winter it gets blasted off at a touch less car wash every other week or so, weather permitting.

I can’t wait for all the AWD/4x4 “I’m invincible!!!” jerks riding your bumper who cannot fathom why you’re going 40 on a snow/ice covered road at 4am. Watched one of them pass me, only to find them in the ditch about a mile up the road. I honked as I drove pass.
Posted By: JunkdrawerDog

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 01:10 AM

All of the above is why I left the midwest and retired to southern Nevada. Sure, we have some crazy heat in July and August, but that beats crazy cold in January and February. The other 10 months of the year have predictably nice weather. Just wish I had done this sooner!
Posted By: eljefino

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 01:25 AM

Wife uses the garage, and every time she goes in she brings 1/2 gallon of "car water" that was slush stuck in the fenders and rocker area.

Only luxury is not having to scrape frost or snow off. Doesn't help the car any, and may hurt it by keeping it warmer (closer to freezing) and more humid.
Posted By: Buzzinhalfdozen

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Railrust
Anyone else trying to hold on to that last bit of sunlight and preparing their vehicles for 6 months of torture? Would love to hear some winterizing techniques and winter commuting horror stories.

I once drove 14 hrs on a trip that normally took 8 through multiple blizzards and never left Michigan.

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzinhalfdozen

I once drove 14 hrs on a trip that normally took 8 through multiple blizzards and never left Michigan.

That's awful, and I know how you feel...did that once driving from Washington to NH...hit a snow storm in Connecticut, another in Massachusetts...then finished it off with one more in New Hampshire, before pulling into my driveway that had two feet of snow in it (that I had to snow blow after that 14 hour, edge of my seat ride). Fun!

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by eljefino

Wife uses the garage, and every time she goes in she brings 1/2 gallon of "car water" that was slush stuck in the fenders and rocker area.

Only luxury is not having to scrape frost or snow off. Doesn't help the car any, and may hurt it by keeping it warmer (closer to freezing) and more humid.

Yeah I've read that letting the car defrost and melt away ice in the garage is actually worse for it...accelerates the activation of the road salt into the metal.
Posted By: benjy

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 02:25 AM

over 10 years in salty + NO rust on my fully galvanized body panels or anything else on my traded 200 thou mile VW jetta!! not a fan of winter but easier being retired now. i dont like extreme heat or humidity but it is what is or RELOCATE, easier said than done for sure $$$$$$, job-family-job etc
Posted By: Danno

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 02:28 AM

Just put into service the 2019 JGC and the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid.

Winter prep as follows...

Bought Studded Hakka 9s for both, with OE steel wheels for both
https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-9/

Had Krown rust control applied to both vehicles
https://www.krown.com/en/

Had PPF applied to front fascia/bumper, full hood, A pillars, bother front fenders, mirrors, in front of sun roofs - both vehicles
Used this on the 2016 KIA and it still looks perfect
https://www.suntekfilms.com/paintprotection/ppf-c.aspx

Both vehicles are parked inside in the garage

Snowbrush / scraper ready

Driving habit check on first snow/ice.

Drive as defensibly as possible.....

As ready as I am going to get.
Posted By: Dinoburner

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 02:39 AM

We buy new and keep the ones we like 10 years then give them to family. Wifes car gets the unheated garage my 95 GMC gets oiled and waxed about this time and has no rust. The 77 shortbed gets put up for 6 months of misery. Spent February last year in FL but wife missed home. Now that we are retired we can pick and choose when to go out.
Posted By: Fawteen

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 02:55 AM

I see a few folks claim that they don't like the heat and humidity. But it's not all that bad once you're used to it, and it doesn't destroy cars and trucks.

On the other hand I'll be driving the 442 in January with the top down enjoying the 70 degree days. And I'll enjoy the pool in October and November. If I toss the solar cover on I'll enjoy it in January, February and March. In November and December we'll spend a few days at the condo in Orange Beach and enjoy the beaches of the Gulf.

Seems a pretty fair trade off for a bit of sweat in the summer months.
Posted By: doitmyself

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 03:25 AM

The same can be said for the winter cold and snow, once you're used to it. It's really personal preference and choice. I love ice fishing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, skiing (both types). Staying active in the winter is key to enjoying it. Spring opening trout season and morels are hard to beat. Summer on the Lake Michigan beaches is as close to ocean front experience one can get in the midwest. The fall color change, harvesting the final garden crops, and the November deer hunt on a crispy morning... priceless.
Posted By: AZjeff

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 03:25 AM

My wife puts it this way: she'd rather live in a cardboard box under a bridge here in northern Az than move back to NW Pa were we were born and lived for the first 48 years. I agree. Cars that don't slowly self-destruct is one reason. You can own a car for 20 years if you choose and never put a wrench on a rusty bolt. Not for everyone but for us the likes far outweigh the dislikes.
Posted By: E365

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 04:03 AM

Might be buying a family member’s cheap, zero-rust Trailblazer soon and will swap in a rear axle with a locker, plus new winter tires.

I do Fluid Film in the door and body cavities but am switching to just spraying fasteners on the underside. Spraying everything makes too much of a mess. I just swapped springs/dampeners on my Fluid Film coated Focus and it was a slimey mess - although not a trace of rust on coated surfaces.
Posted By: E365

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 04:14 AM

I keep hearing “new cars don’t rust”. Living in rural northern Minnesota, I say non-sense.

Here’s a 2013 (at the OLDEST) Nissan Altima I saw a few weeks ago. Trunk lid starting to rust significantly.

Also recently saw a 4th gen Subaru Forester (2014 Model at the oldest) with rust and bubbling paint on a rear wheel arch (I only could see one side, so maybe they both were rusting).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kurtatron

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 04:27 AM

Lived in Idyllic Coastal California weather most of my life, then went to school in central California where it got up to 110 in the summer. Live in Michigan now. While I don’t like the extreme cold, I’d rather take it then the heat and especially the humidity. Winter, you can bundle up. Heat, the only thing you can do is go swimming, but how often would I be doing that? I can tolerate extreme dry heat, but humidity just feels absolutely torturous to me. Sticky sweat and stubbornly warm nights keep me away from the south.

The only thing I hate about winter is driving. Walking in it, playing in it, snowboarding in it, snow is not a terrible thing. But yes, I could not live up here sanely without a winter beater.
Posted By: FT92

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 07:50 AM

like others , I can't stand the thought of another winter..64 years of them, the road dept. around here is salt happy a few flurries coming down , they salt the crap out of the roads... wife has one more year then she retires, I've been retired for 2 years now and we are planning a move down south somewhere when she retires or possibly to Arizona , wife has relatives out there, if I don't see the cold and snow for the rest of my days , it's ok with me

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by AZjeff
My wife puts it this way: she'd rather live in a cardboard box under a bridge here in northern Az than move back to NW Pa were we were born and lived for the first 48 years. I agree. Cars that don't slowly self-destruct is one reason. You can own a car for 20 years if you choose and never put a wrench on a rusty bolt. Not for everyone but for us the likes far outweigh the dislikes.

I'm the same way. And if you figure new vehicles at close to $50K a pop, along with how fast the rust belt turns them into junk, what you save by not having to buy new cars every few years will more than pay for any relocation costs.
Posted By: JTK

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by E365
I keep hearing “new cars don’t rust”. Living in rural northern Minnesota, I say non-sense.

Here’s a 2013 (at the OLDEST) Nissan Altima I saw a few weeks ago. Trunk lid starting to rust significantly.

[Linked Image]

That's actually pretty common on Nissans because of how they're assembled. That chrome trim piece (Nissan calls a finisher) digs into the paint causing rust. Had it happen on our 2016 Nissan Quest when it was barely 2 yrs old. Nissan covered over 90% of the repair cost which included putting 3M protective tape behind the finisher.

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Danno
Just put into service the 2019 JGC and the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid.

Winter prep as follows...

Bought Studded Hakka 9s for both, with OE steel wheels for both
https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-9/

Had Krown rust control applied to both vehicles
https://www.krown.com/en/

Had PPF applied to front fascia/bumper, full hood, A pillars, bother front fenders, mirrors, in front of sun roofs - both vehicles
Used this on the 2016 KIA and it still looks perfect
https://www.suntekfilms.com/paintprotection/ppf-c.aspx

Both vehicles are parked inside in the garage

Snowbrush / scraper ready

Driving habit check on first snow/ice.

Drive as defensibly as possible.....

As ready as I am going to get.

Always wanted to try the Krown rust proofing, it's just not readily available in my area. I guess I could order it and spray it on, but I already have a five gallon bucket of Fluid Film. My lord does a five gallon bucket last a long long time! I've barely put a dent into it after doing my truck three times, plus a couple of my friends.

I've never tried a paint protection option...always thought they were pretty expensive and wasn't sure if it was worth it (I've seen some of these things look worse than worn and chipped paint after some time). So I never did it...be tough to apply something on my truck anyway...it's mostly grill and bumper in the front.

One thing I despise....I despise the scraping...the ice. I might try a spray bottle with an ice preventing windshield washing fluid in it to kind of loosen things up this year. I've heard it helps a bit.

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by benjy
over 10 years in salty + NO rust on my fully galvanized body panels or anything else on my traded 200 thou mile VW jetta!! not a fan of winter but easier being retired now. i dont like extreme heat or humidity but it is what is or RELOCATE, easier said than done for sure $$$$$$, job-family-job etc

I was thinking about the relocating thing...it'd be real tough. Kids in school, have a nice job, wife does too...family in town, friends. Be tough to do, but it does cross my mind.

Last year I was in San Antonio Texas for a week for work...it was early December. It was 3:30 and I face time my son back home...it's pitch dark where he is...meanwhile I'm sitting there at the Alamo, it's 75 degrees, little birds and squirrels are running around...sun on my face...drink in hand. Right then I thought...I'm crazy to live up in New England. This is no way to live. I mean there's so much sun and happiness to be had all year long. Why do I have to live indoors 6 months out of the year in darkness and freezing painful cold? I know I'm exaggerating a little bit but I'm not that far off when you see how the other half lives. And you should see these cars and trucks down there! There's no rust! There's people driving around in 20 year old vehicles like it's nothing! They look brand new! 300,000 miles on these cars and they're putting an engine in them because "it's cheaper than buying a new one, the body is fine". I'm like, what??!! A new engine in a 300,000 mile car? My subframe would have holes the size of my fist if I tried to do that where I live. The pinch welds would be rotted into the doors. The suspension would be falling out of the car because the supports rusted right off the car. The engine mounts would have to be rewelded to the frame - if there was a frame to weld it to - every nut and bolt on that car would need a torch taken to it to loosen it up. These people don't even use torches, there's no need...they don't spray WD-40 down there...they don't even know what it is! Haha. Turning on the heat? Rear window defroster? What's that???

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by E365
Might be buying a family member’s cheap, zero-rust Trailblazer soon and will swap in a rear axle with a locker, plus new winter tires.

I do Fluid Film in the door and body cavities but am switching to just spraying fasteners on the underside. Spraying everything makes too much of a mess. I just swapped springs/dampeners on my Fluid Film coated Focus and it was a slimey mess - although not a trace of rust on coated surfaces.

The Fluid Film does make things a mess underneath, it's even worse when dealing with a GM truck because they use frame wax, and that stuff is absolutely nasty...you get it all over you. I'm certain that the wax is seriously detrimental to your health. The fluid Film makes it worse because the wax gets tacky. I'd hate to be a GM Tech at a dealer, you'd get this stuff all over you. My truck is only a year old so luckily I don't have to do anything but fluid changes, but even then I can't help but get it all over my arms.

I find the Fluid Film does a decent job, however it does wash off rather easily, so I apply it twice a year. And I do some touch up with white lithium grease on spots that are high traffic areas where the fluid Film gets worn off quickly, it tends to stick a little better/longer.

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kurtatron
Lived in Idyllic Coastal California weather most of my life, then went to school in central California where it got up to 110 in the summer. Live in Michigan now. While I don’t like the extreme cold, I’d rather take it then the heat and especially the humidity. Winter, you can bundle up. Heat, the only thing you can do is go swimming, but how often would I be doing that? I can tolerate extreme dry heat, but humidity just feels absolutely torturous to me. Sticky sweat and stubbornly warm nights keep me away from the south.

The only thing I hate about winter is driving. Walking in it, playing in it, snowboarding in it, snow is not a terrible thing. But yes, I could not live up here sanely without a winter beater.

Humidity is terrible, you're right, I think however I'd put up with it for two months out of the year opposed to some of the weather we get up here six months out of the year. I imagine air conditioning goes a long way in the summer (and a pool).

One thing to consider...summers aren't exactly a cake walk in New England either, I mean my central air conditioning is on from June until September, easily, all of the time. July is brutal. August is brutal. Half of June is either raining or brutal. And the first two weeks in September are pretty darn humid nowadays, especially the last two years (this year hasn't been bad), but this past July was BRUTAL. And last summer we had over 22 days above 90 (it was a record).

There are some things I really like about the fall...football, food, cooler weather, leaves. But then it gets dark quick, and COLD. November rolls around and everything is dead...every leaf is gone, grass is dead, sky is gray for the next three months. It's getting dark by 3:30...youdrive to work and it's dark...you drive home and it's dark. You feel like you never see the light of day. You step outside your door and a gust of wind takes your breath away and blasts snow right in your face. Your sinuses dry up. Everyone is sick. Flu, sinus infections. Waiting room at the doctors office is packed. Then spring comes and it rains till June, then you go outside and it's 90...what happened to spring? Don't we get a spring anymore? Did they take that away? Did they send a letter? Factory recall notice? What happened to it? Lol.

Honestly you're right though, there are some good things about fall and even winter - I guess I'm finding those things to be few and far between - and spring used to be my favorite but something happened up here with global warming or something...it's like it's gone, it's now monsoon season instead. Then summer rolls in. I do mountain bike in the winter...keeps me sane...although people think I'm insane for doing it....sometimes I wonder if they're right. Lol.
Posted By: Mad_Hatter

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 11:39 AM

Winters here you go to work in the dark and go home in the dark..if you don't get outside for lunch you're nuts!😂
Posted By: ernied

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 12:30 PM

I am 72 years old I have lived in northen new York all my life.the winters are brutal.
but when I think of the poor people this year who went through these terrible storms
I thank god when I wake up in the morning my house is sitting where it was went to
bed and the roof is still on just a ton of snow to move.
Posted By: Silverado12

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 12:37 PM

I don't miss the hard winters coming from northern WV. I'm in Richmond, VA now and it's a lot nicer down here. Don't regret moving at all 32 years ago. We still get some snow and miserable cold but it doesn't last very long. We also get hurricanes but we're inland far enough to minimize them.
Posted By: supton

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 12:55 PM

New England weather is all I know. The short winter days I hate the most; I'm still young enough that moving snow isn't that bad. But I can't imagine worse humidity, and already for the month of August I avoid any outdoor work during peak sunlight hours--I'd burn to a crisp (too much Irish blood in me I guess). I love the idea of moving someplace nice but working in a tech field means I'm dubious relocating just right now--worries about changing field of expertise, retraining, starting over. Plus, wife likes it up here and would not be amenable to moving.

Anyhow. That reminds me--I've yet to pull up my Fluid Film and spray stuff down. Time to do that, maybe this weekend, maybe next. Ugh.

New house does have a garage. Everyone is telling me that I'm going to love getting in my car in the morning and not having to scrape before I leave. I'll still have to deal with that when I park at work!
Posted By: hpb

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/07/19 11:43 PM

We watch Ice Road Truckers, Highway Through He!!, etc., and are quite frankly amazed at the conditions you guys in the Northern Hemisphere live and work in. Can't imagine having to deal with that for months on end. Just the everyday stuff like getting kids to school, buying milk and bread, going out for dinner, must be a nightmare. I sure couldn't and wouldn't do it!
Posted By: xxch4osxx

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/08/19 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kurtatron

Defintely agree on the humidity. I have no desire to go outside in that nasty humid soupy weather. I stay inside in the a/c when its like that. I could not live down in the deep south with that humidity all year long.
Posted By: jakewells

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/08/19 01:23 AM

Come to kentucky! summers can be hot but winter is mild to cold with a dusting of snow here and there my truck is 23 years old and the paint on the cab corners is starting to bubble.
Posted By: JTK

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/08/19 08:42 AM

I'm working up the ambition to wool-wax my 2017 Ram 1500 and maybe the the Versa. I had the Ram Krowned last year. It's either pay another ~$150 for that or borrow my brother's fluid film/woolwax kit and reimburse him for what I used.

Buffalo winters obviously suck, but snow is typically the only potential natural disaster. Traffic isn't bad, cost of living isn't horrible and percentage of crack heads isn't too bad! What's not to love.

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/08/19 11:08 AM

There is a saying that you don't know how bad something is, until you finally get away from it, and have something better to compare it to. I think the 2 best examples of this are climate and women... Not necessarily in that order.

When I lived in Chicago, I simply tolerated the non stop lousy weather. I had no choice back then. You were constantly B.S.'ing yourself into thinking, "This isn't so bad". Then I finally decided to quit lying to myself, and mustered up the courage to get out of that God forsaken stink hole.

It was the smartest thing I ever did in my life! No more road salt, slop, freezing weather, all but constant rain and or snow, bad roads, nowhere to go, watching your beautiful new car self destruct before your very eyes. As you conduct an all but endless battle against rust, and trying to keep it clean...... Until you just give up. No more 90 day Summers, (June, July, & August). With it either raining, or else threatening to over half of the time. All while getting eaten alive by Mosquito's, 5 minutes after the Sun sets.

And that is coupled with what amounts to 9 month long Winters. Spring and Fall are horrible in the Midwest. Constant rain and dampness. Overcast coupled with bone chilling humidity, and all but non stop blowing wind. (It's not called, "The Windy City" for nothing). It's a title that is well earned, and very well deserved.

Now I have to deal with 320+ days a year of Sunshine. All but 2" of rain a year, if we're lucky. Cool, beautiful weather from October until the end of April. Yes, the Summers are hot. No question about it. But after dealing with 38 years of sub zero Winters there, and 29 years of desert Summers here, I'll take heat over the sloppy, freezing, overcast, Midwestern Winters 7 days a week, and twice on Sunday. I will NEVER set foot in Illinois again.
Posted By: LoneRanger

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/08/19 12:15 PM

Buy aluminum F-150, problem solved. thumbsup

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/08/19 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by billt460
There is a saying that you don't know how bad something is, until you finally get away from it, and have something better to compare it to. I think the 2 best examples of this are climate and women... Not necessarily in that order.

When I lived in Chicago, I simply tolerated the non stop lousy weather. I had no choice back then. You were constantly B.S.'ing yourself into thinking, "This isn't so bad". Then I finally decided to quit lying to myself, and mustered up the courage to get out of that God forsaken stink hole.

It was the smartest thing I ever did in my life! No more road salt, slop, freezing weather, all but constant rain and or snow, bad roads, nowhere to go, watching your beautiful new car self destruct before your very eyes. As you conduct an all but endless battle against rust, and trying to keep it clean...... Until you just give up. No more 90 day Summers, (June, July, & August). With it either raining, or else threatening to over half of the time. All while getting eaten alive by Mosquito's, 5 minutes after the Sun sets.

And that is coupled with what amounts to 9 month long Winters. Spring and Fall are horrible in the Midwest. Constant rain and dampness. Overcast coupled with bone chilling humidity, and all but non stop blowing wind. (It's not called, "The Windy City" for nothing). It's a title that is well earned, and very well deserved.

Now I have to deal with 320+ days a year of Sunshine. All but 2" of rain a year, if we're lucky. Cool, beautiful weather from October until the end of April. Yes, the Summers are hot. No question about it. But after dealing with 38 years of sub zero Winters there, and 29 years of desert Summers here, I'll take heat over the sloppy, freezing, overcast, Midwestern Winters 7 days a week, and twice on Sunday. I will NEVER set foot in Illinois again.

I have known several people who visited Arizona loved it and eventually moved there and never regretted the move. All of these folks were from Vermont and most were native Vermonters.
Posted By: 02SE

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/08/19 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Not really. They have a steel frame and various other steel parts, and Aluminum corrodes.

I've seen plenty of corroded Al bodies that have been neglected when subjected to road salt in winter. Including Aluminum body Ford trucks with bubbling and peeling paint due to corrosion.

Bottom line: If you live where salt is used on the roads in winter, be diligent about keeping your vehicle clean and protected as much as possible, or live with the consequences.
Posted By: Pew

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/08/19 06:21 PM

I will NEVER set foot in Illinois again.

Watch out, we'll tax you just for mentioning us.

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/08/19 07:11 PM

This is when I really wish there was a "like" button...actually would have used it on servals posts in this thread.

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/08/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 02SE

Not really. They have a steel frame and various other steel parts, and Aluminum corrodes.

I've seen plenty of corroded Al bodies that have been neglected when subjected to road salt in winter. Including Aluminum body Ford trucks with bubbling and peeling paint due to corrosion.

Bottom line: If you live where salt is used on the roads in winter, be diligent about keeping your vehicle clean and protected as much as possible, or live with the consequences.

I've owned a Ford with "aluminum"...I don't know where they get their aluminum, but wherever it is it not very good. In less than five years that aluminum will turn into a bubbling mess of dust and corrosion.

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/08/19 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by JTK
I'm working up the ambition to wool-wax my 2017 Ram 1500 and maybe the the Versa. I had the Ram Krowned last year. It's either pay another ~$150 for that or borrow my brother's fluid film/woolwax kit and reimburse him for what I used.

Buffalo winters obviously suck, but snow is typically the only potential natural disaster. Traffic isn't bad, cost of living isn't horrible and percentage of crack heads isn't too bad! What's not to love.

I've actually found the one guy that's going it worse than me. Buffalo.

Colder, snowier than New England. But I love Buffalo...love the Bills...love Ralph Wilson stadium. Haven't been but I've always wanted to go. And as a Pat's fan, Buffalo is the one team in the division that I kind of root for. Good town.

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/08/19 08:24 PM

+1. Most aircraft are made from Aluminum. There is a very good reason you won't find a salt truck anywhere near an airport runway or taxiway in the snow belt. Instead they spend a fortune on thousands of gallons of deicing agents that won't corrode Aluminum.

If the airlines had to buy planes from Boeing as often as consumers replace corroded F-150's, no one would be able to afford a ticket.
Posted By: Donald

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/09/19 01:17 AM

Worse than the PIA winter in upstate NY is the early spring where my town dirt road turns to 6" of mud due to an incompetent town highway supervisor. Around here they are elected.
Posted By: LoneRanger

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/09/19 02:10 AM

Where are all these corroded aluminum body F-150's you all are referring to? I'm in the snow belt since forever and have yet to see one.
Posted By: HM12460

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/09/19 03:53 AM

Waa! Waa! Waa! love it in the rust belt or leave it!
Posted By: I_4

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/09/19 01:25 PM

The nicer cars that I want to keep as long as possible go in the garage from November to mid April. The winter beater last year got Yokohama Geolander IT G072 tires on steel rims and New Hampshire Oil Undercoated. Not inexpensive but it keeps me happy. Just make sure you do all possible mechanical work before the NHOU spraying. The fun part is watching it burn off the exhaust driving down the highway.
Posted By: DGXR

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/09/19 04:36 PM

So many people bashing California for any reason they can find. I've never once had to deal with any of this ice-scraping salt-corroding nonsense.

The only non-CA vehicle I've owned was a 1967 Mustang originally sold and driven in Connecticut. Had a huge hole rusted through the floorboard, you could reach under and poke your finger through and feel the interior carpet. LOL, no thanks.
Posted By: 02SE

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/09/19 04:38 PM

Where are all these corroded aluminum body F-150's you all are referring to? I'm in the snow belt since forever and have yet to see one.

Maybe you just haven't noticed them. I live in an area with high snowfall, and copious amounts of salt are spread on the roads all winter long. Look around, ask people in the automotive service industry, heck, there are probably pictures online.

The point is they certainly can rust and/or corrode. My advice is to take all steps to limit rust and/or corrosion in a highly corrosive environment, as is suggested in every vehicle owner manual I've had.
Posted By: grampi

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/09/19 05:09 PM

I've owned a Ford with "aluminum"...I don't know where they get their aluminum, but wherever it is it not very good. In less than five years that aluminum will turn into a bubbling mess of dust and corrosion.

Ford claims it's military grade aluminum in their commercials, but I highly doubt it's true...
Posted By: grampi

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/09/19 05:14 PM

I don't mind the cold and snow for the holidays, but outside of that, I'd rather have summer-like weather. Nothing like sitting outside with a cold one, taking in all the nice weather and nice scenery (pretty gals in their scanty outfits). Being able to operate a sports car, motorcycle, or ride a bike is nice too, without the worry of getting them covered with road salt, or getting frost bitten...
Posted By: Pew

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/09/19 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by grampi

Ford claims it's military grade aluminum in their commercials, but I highly doubt it's true...

We all know how military grade really is LOL
Posted By: willbur

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/10/19 12:41 PM

its called "windy city" because of all the politicians. That's how it got that name initially. Now everyone thinks its because of the climate.
Posted By: Anduril

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/10/19 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by grampi

The military uses the lowest bidder and so does Ford?
Posted By: SeaJay

Re: The "calm" before the rust belt storm... - 09/10/19 03:28 PM

Family, culture, tradition and the balance between work, salary and living expenses determines where you live. Many of the higher paying regions see snow in the winter. Living costs prevents many in these areas from having garages for all of their cars. The cost of car replacement when rust takes over is one of the expenses.

If the most important thing in the world for everyone was being able to have a car for many years without rust at the expense of all other factors, then the north areas of the US would be deserted and everyone would be living down south. Life is more than a rust free car.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy