Warming Up Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, every day for the last 6 months I've taken my dog out in the morning for a potty walk. And every day at about the same time a guy has run out and started his BRZ and let's it idle for 5-10 minutes before leaving. Today as he came out to his already running car I mentioned the pattern I noticed and asked why. He said he warms the car up to get the oil up to temperature before he goes to work.

I just nodded and said, "oh, ok."

My assumption is he's probably a member of BITOG given this odd and completely unnecessary habit. Or is it unnecessary? Please comment with your opinion. Is this neighbor of mine a genius? Or not?

Tons of threads here about this subject.

The guy is just wasting fuel and he is foolish for leaving it running like that but it's his car. Why you worry?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Tons of threads here about this subject.

The guy is just wasting fuel and he is foolish for leaving it running like that but it's his car. Why you worry?

I'm not worried. I just needed to be entertained by BITOG replies. Nothing good on TV. Also, if we all did this every day of the year, the ice caps would've already completely melted and t-rex would be back eating humans.

I let my vehicles run for about a minute until the rpms level out. While not necessary, my car and truck, especially the 5 cylinder truck, seem to run smoother. I wouldn't call it foolish though 5-10 minutes is probably over doing it. When I was young and lived in an apartment, I would let my car warm up for 10 minutes with the heater on to melt the ice off the windshield on really cold days.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I let my vehicles run for about a minute until the rpms level out. While not necessary, my car and truck, especially the 5 cylinder truck, seem to run smoother. I wouldn't call it foolish though 5-10 minutes is probably over doing it. When I was young and lived in an apartment, I would let my car warm up for 10 minutes with the heater on to melt the ice off the windshield on really cold days.

Well, yeah, if it's really cold out. I grew up in the Midwest and would idle for 5 minutes if it was below 0. But whether I live now it was 62° for a low last night.

I have wondered for some time if motors were maybe lasting a little longer due to people spending a few moments buckling up before driving off.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger

Well, yeah, if it's really cold out. I grew up in the Midwest and would idle for 5 minutes if it was below 0. But whether I live now it was 62° for a low last night.

I agree, there's no need to warm up an engine for 5 minutes this time of year.

I can take one of two parallel roads to get to town … a busy 50 mph road that's a left turn … or a seldom used 40 mph road that's a right turn … about two miles each. Later is warm up for my engine and my brain in the morning …

I never warm up my car, except to clear thick ice from the windows, even if it is 20 below. Driving warms it up a lot faster. I accelerate very gently on cold days and keep my speed down for the first two or three miles to save wear on the engine and transmission. It's a good idea anyway because we have frequent black ice and heavy traffic on winter mornings.

My wife roars off (thanks CVT!) on her freeway merges regardless of temperature.

.............My assumption is he's probably a member of BITOG given this odd and completely unnecessary habit. Or is it unnecessary? Please comment with your opinion. Is this neighbor of mine a genius? Or not?

Definitely NOT a Bitog member. As all of us know, no need for a 5-10 min warmup in nearly summer weather now. Your neighbor could be a genius.....but they are uninformed about proper engine warmups. They are actually causing more wear and tear on their engine by this extended warmup....which causes a delay in the proper operation of the engine oil add pack (ie less than approx 165-175 deg F)...and leads to a longer period of needless engine metal corrosion conditions.

I have to let my Cadillac warm up for 60 seconds or so, the transmission doesn't like to engage before the AIR injection pump shuts off. Granted, the two are completely unrelated but it's my gauge for when she's ready to go. Doesn't matter if it's -10 or 90 like it was today, I fire it up and wait for the AIR pump to shut off before I take off. Seems to work fine after that.

I set stool up for wife, crank vehicle with AC cooling then get her in. Load wheelchair and stool then buckle her in then myself then I leave, so it might be between 2-5 minutes depending on how much trouble wife is having.

No matter what nonsense someone tries to tell you, any vehicle, including the newest made today, benefit from the oil warming up "a little bit" before you start giving it higher RPMs.

No layman consumer wants to hear this, so some bobbleheads tried to spread the lie that it doesn't matter.

It is true that it doesn't matter "much" but it does matter.

At the same time, that does not make "5-10 minutes a magic amount of time. The time will depend on the ambient temperature and 5-10 minutes is usually far longer than needed, but it could be a random coincidence of your observation vs the neighbor's time to leave, some routine he has that takes that many minutes to do some things before leaving, or maybe not.

Either way, there is no question it is better for an engine than starting it up and driving within the first dozen seconds. It may be overkill but it beats not waiting till the oil has fully circulated.

Will this difference be what kills a modern engine before the rest of the vehicle has ridiculous repair bills that put into an early grave? Probably not, unless you are like many here that DIY your repairs so you can make it cost effective to own a vehicle a lot longer than the average person does.

I can tell when my engines are bogged down by cold oil and if you pay attention you probably can too. It it is bogged down, don't give it more throttle to make up for that.

Some of my neighbors as well as myself take that into account, they will start driving right away but they ease into the RPMs as the engine/oil heats up. They essentially just let the engine idle pull the car along for a while and this works great in a residential area where you shouldn't be driving fast anyway.

If my driveway were exiting onto a 45+ MPH highway instead, yeah I'd let it warm up a "few" minutes before going anywhere.

Last edited:
I'm not worried. I just needed to be entertained by BITOG replies. Nothing good on TV. Also, if we all did this every day of the year, the ice caps would've already completely melted and t-rex would be back eating humans.

Do you know how many millions of gallons of gasoline are burned every day.....waiting in line at the drive through?

To get to the nearest freeway entrance or road with speeds over 40 it's at least 4 miles. Plenty of stop lights and residential roads to warm it up. This is why I don't get it.

Warming up an engine that way takes for ever.
The best way to warm up an engine is driving, ofcourse gently and keeping the revs low.

At idle is when oil pressure is lowest and therefore there are the most parts of the engine in a boundary lubrication regime, add to that the oil being cold, which also increases wear...
Driving the car is going to warm up the engine much faster and causing less wear in the process because the engine isn't at idle and the oil will warm up quicker.

Last edited:

I just nodded and said, "oh, ok."

My assumption is he's probably a member of BITOG given this odd and completely unnecessary habit. Or is it unnecessary? Please comment with your opinion. Is this neighbor of mine a genius? Or not?

My assumption is he's probably NOT a member of BITOG! Otherwise he'd start the engine, adjust the mirrors & seats, buckle-up and drive off.

Originally Posted by tiger862
I set stool up for wife, crank vehicle with AC cooling then get her in. Load wheelchair and stool then buckle her in then myself then I leave, so it might be between 2-5 minutes depending on how much trouble wife is having.

Good for you. I'm sure your wife appreciates that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back