Home

Beware of tampering

Posted By: SHOZ

Beware of tampering - 04/17/19 10:02 PM

I buy my oil at WalMart 0w40 Mobil 1 and usually have a gallon on hand plus a little. Went to open the new gallon I had and it already had the seal broken, some oil discoloration on the outside of the container near the cap. And no foil seal.

I though maybe I had opened it and not used it and went to pour some in the engine and it was very thin. Certainly not 0w40 oil. I pour it into a clear glass container and it's clean and amber colored. Not the same as M1 0w40 though. Maybe hydraulic fluid I think....
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/17/19 10:05 PM

Did you check the jug before buying it?

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/17/19 10:15 PM

I'm not sure when I bought it. Sometimes I order on line and just go pick it up. But obviously I did not check this jug for a seal.
Posted By: JLTD

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/17/19 10:18 PM

Oil buyer beware at WM....recurring theme.

Another reason I'm not inclined to go there for my oil.
Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/17/19 10:18 PM

If the seal on the cap is broken it never goes in the cart. That oil belongs to someone else.
Posted By: GSCJR

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 12:02 AM

I felt the same way when I got burned by not checking a jug of 5w40 Mobil TDT from Wal-Mart. It had been in my stash for a while by the time I got to use it.

Live and learn.
Posted By: Greggy_D

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 12:20 AM

I check every single plastic seal before I buy.
Posted By: atikovi

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 12:29 AM

Somebody changed their oil, filled the jug with the old oil and returned it for a refund.
Posted By: benjy

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 12:38 AM

it can happen anywhere + most WM's take returns without looking at anything, especially if busy, so always check before leaving the store or upon receiving any mail order from wherever
Posted By: aba4430

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 12:44 AM

Walmart should just stop taking returns on oil.
Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by aba4430
Walmart should just stop taking returns on oil.

No they just need a clerk bright enough to check the seal. If its broken you just remove the lid and check the oil. If its black you call the police.
Posted By: Eddie

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 01:25 AM

My WM checks the cap very closely to see if the external cap-ring is intact. Ed
Posted By: aquariuscsm

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
No they just need a clerk bright enough to check the seal. If its broken you just remove the lid and check the oil. If its black you call the police.

^^Exactly as Johnny said.

Walmart just needs to be diligent about scrutinizing ANY returns whether it's oil,food,or clothing. There's no reason thieving trash should ruin it for the honest people.

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 02:07 AM

It doesn’t matter what store you go into. Tampering can happen anywhere and with anything.
Posted By: Kestas

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 02:55 AM

Pretty slick substituting hydraulic fluid for the oil, if that's what happened. That would pass scrutinization by any clerk.
Posted By: Gasbuggy

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 07:25 AM

Send a sample to blackstone

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Send a sample to blackstone
I'm already out $13 and am quite certain it is not as labeled.....
Posted By: Richie

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 01:04 PM

Been happening more and more.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Somebody changed their oil, filled the jug with the old oil and returned it for a refund.
Posted By: 4WD

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
I check every single plastic seal before I buy.

Same ... and look at the sight window - at least you'd see dirty oil that way - maybe not with this slickster means ...
Of course the foil seal or no deal (it's got to go back then) ...

Knock on wood - not burned yet ...

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 01:23 PM

Some brands are easier to detect tampering. Valvoline’s new jugs with the clear cap that shows the seal underneath is great. Chevron’s new Havoline Smart Change should show any tampering right away.
Posted By: Anduril

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kestas
Pretty slick substituting hydraulic fluid for the oil, if that's what happened. That would pass scrutinization by any clerk.

But the broken seal should not have.
Posted By: Cujet

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 05:55 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I’m often not as careful as I should be with such things. I’m a “grab it and go guy”
Posted By: DGXR

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 06:57 PM

Here's the rub: if you break the ring and remove the cap in order to be sure the foil seal is intact, you cannot return the product. So be sure you are buying something that you will definitely be using.

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by DGXR
Here's the rub: if you break the ring and remove the cap in order to be sure the foil seal is intact, you cannot return the product. So be sure you are buying something that you will definitely be using.

This is good advice but these gamers know how to make that cap look and feel sealed. They are conniving critters. If the cap is a solid color like most are then that adds to the difficulty of checking the internal seal.

Why the oil companies haven’t all gone to transparent caps or used a shrink wrap on the outside of the cap is baffling.
Posted By: road_rascal

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/18/19 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cujet
Thanks for the heads up. I’m often not as careful as I should be with such things. I’m a “grab it and go guy”

This. I just bought 3 jugs of Delo 400 XSP 5w/40 for my boat and ATV the other day and didn't check the cap before leaving WM. Fortunately they were all intact.
Posted By: willbur

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/20/19 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by JLTD
Oil buyer beware at WM....recurring theme.

Another reason I'm not inclined to go there for my oil.

Not just oil. I checked a gallon container of Zerex Asian Blue. It had been opened and refilled with visibly darker used blue coolant. I check everything from WM now.
Posted By: Silverado12

Re: Beware of tampering - 04/20/19 07:03 PM

Yeah, and when you return it they look at you like you're the one who swapped it. Honesty is becoming scarcer.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy