1964 Beetle listed in Hemmings for 1 million $

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first million dollar Beetle I have ever seen. it certainly is a rare find, a 1964 with 23 original miles. If you really were into Beetles and could afford it, you would be torn between wanting to drive it a little and hating to put miles on it. Anyway, maybe this will also be the first million $ Beetle you have ever seen.
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/volkswagen/beetle/2171078.html?refer=home

Million Dollar Beetle.jpg

I drove many a friends or their parents Beetles back in the day. What an easy car to drive & shift through the gears. Slooooooow as you know what but hey, just down shift. The have their own peculiar sound...Puddddddddddd, pudddddddddd, pudddddddddddd...
laugh.gif

My dad drove 2 of those, in white, to university through the 1960's.

Surprised, and not, at the price - investors with $$ have long since taken classic cars out of the hands of the mainstream, and made them a commodity of the rich.

Be a difficult thing to pin a price/value on, maybe they just threw that figure out there to see what sticks. Nice car for sure.

My mom had one just like it. She also had a '67 convertible in very good condition with 40,000 miles she sold for $800 just a month before my 16th birthday (I still haven't forgiven her for that!). Her next car was a '74 Super Beetle- which seemed so much better built than the old ones.

I had a '71 in high school. It burned and leaked more oil than gas.

Last edited:
Neat car, but a million? You would really have to be into Beetles to consider that...

Growing up, we had two of them. We lived in a remote area at that time with no paved roads, and the Beetles would handle the rough roads without falling apart. Our poor Mercury though, kept losing hubcaps, then the entire rear axle one day
eek.gif

6V electrical system, little/no heat, no A/C, top speed of 63 MPH on flat ground, dog slow & would get run over on the roads today. Also, no safety equipment, no engine in the front to protect in a head-on crash. Have I mentioned my first car was a '64 Beetle? I couldn't wait to get rid of it!

I had a 64 Bug. One of the best cars I ever had. 1200 CC 40 HP engine. The 66's were nice, 1300 CC and cam bearings. 67 was 1500 CC and 12V.
My favorites were the older ones with the little oval window, 36 HP as I recall. My brother had one with the roller moonroof. I stole it lotsa times.

I had one too. Had a rod thrown through the engine case (don't think you could call it a block, right). Couple hundred to buy and a couple hundred to some Atlanta hippies to fix and epoxy engine. Got it painted for $40 at Earl Scheib. Complained about the quality and the manager took me into paint area. Street people, most of whom had never painted til that day. If I could find it, I'd be happy to part with it for a million.

I wish I had a million to spend on it, because it is pretty dang sweet... It'd be sweeter if it was a micro bus with safari windows, but it is sweet.

Pricing is weird because they made so many of them for so long. Only the pre-1970 models seem to actually appreciate. You can still get decent 1970+ Ghias and Beetles for under 10k

Maybe if it was a bus, those things are insanely expensive. Concept creep trying to inflate the market for beetles!

Remember the Barenaked Ladies song "If I Had A Million Dollars" - the lyrics include these lines -
And if I had a million dollars (if I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you a k-car (a nice Reliant automobile)

First, now we can change that to "I'd buy you a Beetle........."
Next, could a K-car or a branch of its family tree ever go for $1 million? (Disclaimer - I have one, 88 Aries, and I say "no").

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back