Ford replacing F150 5.0's due to oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a shame. It'll never go back together as well as it was put together at the factory. I would be furious.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by advocate
https://www.f150forum.com/attachmen...JDXrUrmtpDkXnCdivVAUscs___lv5sJAggMJnf5w

Really interesting that they now have a tsb dedicated to oil consumption on these engines. We have been told that its normal and to load them up, drive hard and it will go away. But now at 1 quart per 3000 miles they will replace the long block.

Not to split hairs but it has to exceed a quart of oil in 3,000 miles according to the TSB. So 2,999 miles to a quart of oil and you're in for a new long block, yet some companies consider a quart every 1,000 miles OK. If I owned one I''d put mine up for sale as soon as they completed the long block. Or if I was using a quart of oil every 2K miles I might just live with it and top it up if I was happy with the truck and deal with it if it got worse.

Throt is right, the odds of it being put back together as good as factory are about the same as getting struck by lightning.

I wonder if it's the choice of and/or # of piston rings which cause the consumption and Ford just decided that replacing the engine was safer vs having a technician disassemble the bottom end to replace the rings.

Originally Posted by hatt
What did they change in 2018?

Port and Dual injection, PWTA (Plasma Wire Transfer Arc) cyl. liners. Basically the same technology in the Mustang and GT350. Both the 5.0s got that treatment for 2018+.

Most dealers have guys that replace transmissions and engines as their specialty so I'd not be too concerned about it. Rather any manufacturer own up to it and fix it than try to sweep it under the rug.

Last edited:
Yea I for one am very pleased that they are actually fixing the issue. And not a bandaid fix. Full blown long block. I just hope that the new engines do not have any issues. I would assume that ford adjusted their tooling and quality control and are building the newer engines a little tighter then they built the first run of engines.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I wonder if it's the choice of and/or # of piston rings which cause the consumption and Ford just decided that replacing the engine was safer vs having a technician disassemble the bottom end to replace the rings.

Perhaps Ford can overhaul / rebuild the engines faster / cheaper at the factory , than the mechanic at the dealership ?

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
They won't be doing many of these block changes. 1 quart in 3k miles is A LOT!

EDIT: Most manufacturers consider 1qt in 1k to 1.5k normal.

Back in my youth , a quart every 1000 miles is not considered too bad .

Times have certainly changed .

Now , 1 quart in 3000 miles , I would probably just change the oil and filter on our 2006 Lacrosse ( conventional oil ) and top off the 2015 Sonic ( synthetic oil ) .

Now , I drive a 2007 Silverado V-8 ( 5.3l , I think ) with 240,000 + miles on it . With 3000 mile OCI , I do not have to top it off .

Best of luck , :)

Originally Posted by itguy08

Port and Dual injection, PWTA (Plasma Wire Transfer Arc) cyl. liners. Basically the same technology in the Mustang and GT350. Both the 5.0s got that treatment for 2018+.

Most dealers have guys that replace transmissions and engines as their specialty so I'd not be too concerned about it. Rather any manufacturer own up to it and fix it than try to sweep it under the rug.
I never like being the test mule for brand new designs.

Me either. I'd rather wait a year or so and read what the early adopters have to say, and make a decision based on that.

I assume they are replacing long blocks because the blocks can't be rebuilt because of the cheapened sprayed on cylinder liners.

The problem with that hatt is that manufacturers are constantly changing systems, manufacturing techniques and materials all the time. The speed of change is pretty quick these days. You might be waiting a long time.

Originally Posted by PimTac

The problem with that hatt is that manufacturers are constantly changing systems, manufacturing techniques and materials all the time. The speed of change is pretty quick these days. You might be waiting a long time.

Tweaks are fine. They don't do major changes every year. Adding DI and different cylinder liners was a pretty big deal.

Seems pretty standup of Ford to do this. I would probably step up the viscosity a bit as well.

Originally Posted by advocate
https://www.f150forum.com/attachmen...JDXrUrmtpDkXnCdivVAUscs___lv5sJAggMJnf5w

Really interesting that they now have a tsb dedicated to oil consumption on these engines. We have been told that its normal and to load them up, drive hard and it will go away. But now at 1 quart per 3000 miles they will replace the long block.

Fords replacing with new blocks and not rebuilt blocks because their customer didn't buy a rebuilt truck
As long as it's covered under warranty it's always replaced
with parts not aftermarket

At 1 quart per 1k, I'd be moving to one grade heavier, use conventional/blend oil, and change the filter every 10k. That is, as long as the vehicle was older than warranty. If it was in warranty, I'd be doing everything I could to make it worse so that the manufacturer would have to replace the shortblock.

Deep down, I really wonder why manufacturers haven't embraced more things like Total Seal's gapless rings; use a gapless top ring and a Napier second ring to likely almost eliminate oil getting into the chamber, even with lower-tension rings to keep friction down. Seems like a way to remove calcium, magnesium, moly, whatever... from the LSPI equation. Plus the improved cylinder sealing can only help power and keeping the oil clean. It's almost like they WANT there to be problems with TGDI so they can keep forcing us towards electric cars. There are plenty of available engine technologies to improve some of the issues, but the holdups are likely cost and supply availability. I don't know that Total Seal could start supplying millions of sets in various diameters in short order
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back