What is your favorite quick lube place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to a busy schedule, lack of a garage right now, cold temps and a household that just got over the flu, I may take my car to Valvoline IOC. I've been there 3x before with another car, and other than price, they were good.

Unfortunately I was unable to install the Fumoto drain valve I have, which would have allowed me to do the job quick w/o changing the filter (although that needs to be replaced as well this time). I installed Mobil 1 0w20 AFE back in May of last year (i think), and the car has seen some very severe service.

Do you think Valvoline IOC is the safest bet? If I do go there, I'll be requesting their regular Full Syn 5w20 which meets D1G2 and has a Noack of 7.6%. (SA is .97 compared to Mobil 1 which is .8)

My local Jiffy Lube. They know what they are doing, let me watch them work, and let me bring my own oil and filter.

Be real interesting to see if people can answer your question without irrelevant, off-topic commentary. In my opinion, responses should be the name of a company or they don't answer at all.

AutoTire runs under $10 plus tax and disposal fee for VWB with their card and a coupon. Don't try to upsell and neither does Wally World. Have used VIOC in the past and no trouble with them either.

I have used my local Ford Quick Lane. They seem to be pretty good and not to pushy with add ons. Of course one of our Mustang club members works there.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Be real interesting to see if people can answer your question without irrelevant, off-topic commentary. In my opinion, responses should be the name of a company or they don't answer at all.

Quite! Mine doesn't have a name because it's my own garage.

I've been using Valvoline places for my Civics because my kids drive them and live out of state. They will let me spec what oil I want (Maxlife 10w-40HM) if they have it in stock and also add a full 4 quarts to a system they show to be 3.8 quarts. Doesn't matter which one I go to, they all are agreeable. Price with their always available coupon is like $65. A little high but they check everything, and for these cars, it works!

Probably nothing wrong with VIOC. But it most likely depends on who is best in your local area. It could be the VIOC, it could be Jiffy Lube, a local/regional chain or indy shop, or possibly even a local quick lube (independent quick lubes do exist)

Walmart seems like the best choice to me, if long wait times are acceptable (of course, you can shop while you wait and pay for everything else you buy along with your il change). I know at least for their tires, they use the proper torque and no impact gun, so you can probably trust them with oil changes, too. And no upselling, either.(They're not going to upsell services they don't do)

But if you've gone to VIOC before and have been satisfied, nothing wrong with going back there
smile.gif

You mean a response like yours?
smile.gif

I don't have much experience with any national chain.

I tend to support the small, independent "Mom-and-Pop" shops -

maybe you can ask around your locality and see who your acquaintances suggest?

Independent shop is my go to. Some of them will let you bring your own oil and filter and just charge you the labor, usually around $20, which is nice.

I'll say it, never ever going to Jiffy-scr... er Lube again.

I recommend going back to the same place that made your oil control valve leak worse than before they touched it.

Originally Posted by hpb

You mean a response like yours?
smile.gif

lol.gif

Must be in politics.

OP, I'd use the dealer quick lane.

I've had pretty good luck with Ford Quick Lanes around the country. I'm not sure what kind of filter they use on non Fords though.

I'm sure I'll get scolded, but Walmart wasn't bad either and you can pick your oil and filter.

I normally do an oil change in the fall to carry me through the winter. That wasn't the case this year which is also why I'm not doing it myself. I'll probably go to VOIC this time. My car has only seen Mobil 1 for the entire 57k miles I've had it. I wanted to keep it that way but it looks like that won't be the case. Convenience is a big factor right now.

VIP Tire (disclaimer, I worked there, but don't mention this when I go to a different location). They'll use bottled oil if requested and the filter is an O'Reilly's Wix.

I used them for a company truck and they got me in and out of there. Their 99-point inspection was also good ammo for my cheapskate boss/owner to get other things done since he didn't take my word for anything.

I personally only use them for state inspections, as they get me in and out very conveniently. At $18 they're a loss leader and a huge liability, so my regular/former mechanic got tired of seeing me and scheduled me way out.

I wouldn't use them for regular mechanical work except for under a dire emergency, but the parts store attached cuts down on wait times.

Originally Posted by buster
I normally do an oil change in the fall to carry me through the winter. That wasn't the case this year which is also why I'm not doing it myself. I'll probably go to VOIC this time. My car has only seen Mobil 1 for the entire 57k miles I've had it. I wanted to keep it that way but it looks like that won't be the case. Convenience is a big factor right now.

How long has that oil been in the sump? I would probably wait another month and skip logging into BITOG that day and DIY. What make of car is this?

The DIFM market is growing YOY, as someone pointed out to me (as well as an analyst article which showed Valvoline sales dropping but their quick lube business growed). I don't mind changing the oil, and actually prefer to do it myself (especially with a Fumoto), but it's definitely often a sloppy job to do and there have been times over the last few years where I've considered just taking it to a QL.

It's tough to beat grabbing a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 for $23-$30 and doing it yourself.

Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by buster

How long has that oil been in the sump? I would probably wait another month and skip logging into BITOG that day and DIY. What make of car is this?

It's been in the car since May of last year I believe. It's a 2015 3 with the 2.0L. Oil level/color seems fine. It's the fuel dilution I'm concerned about. Fuel in the oil can impact engine seals, to what extent I don't know.

Great Canadian Oil Change in Cranbrook, BC. Friendly on-the-ball staff. The owner of the store is often there, Also, they gladly accept your used oil. They also don't try up sell you on a muffler lube job.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back