Utility trailer - bed protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently acquired a brand- new 5 x 8 [ extendable ] utility trailer, its has 50 miles on it at the most.
The only thing thats been in it, is my lawn tractor.

Its going to see all kinds of building materials needed for a new 16x20 shed to be constructed starting this spring.

Has anyone considered and applied any kind of bed protection?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Cheers
J.

PB246044.JPG

Last edited:
Galvanized should hold up well. I would just leave it as it is. If you apply a spray bed type liner on the inside make sure you don't breath that dust while doing sanding preparation.

My dad's is similar to yours but is the longer version. He hasn't protected his and uses it to move the tractors to the back barn/shed in the off season, dump runs and general hauling. It's about 12 years old and isn't rusting but it is stored inside his shop/garage when not in use.

You could throughly clean the bed and then apply something like a spray on bed liner but honestly if it's not being stored outside I wouldn't worry about it.

Its going to stay in the garage for the remainder of winter... then outside covered with a tarp... once it moves to the cottage this spring.
Going to be stored indoors... eventually... hence the 16x20 shed..
smile.gif
both tractor and trailer..

Originally Posted by 2K2AcuraTL
Its going to stay in the garage for the remainder of winter... then outside covered with a tarp... once it moves to the cottage this spring.
Going to be stored indoors... eventually... hence the 16x20 shed..
smile.gif
both tractor and trailer..

I wouldn't worry then. A little while outside covered is going to be fine. If it were going to spend its whole life outside I would make preparations.

Trailers are notorious for their lack of corrosion resistance here, a lot of the cheap ones seem to be shot with just paint: no primer or surface prep. They rust big time in Toronto, my dad had a large dump trailer where the floor of the bed started to rust out. He's a contractor and just switch to using bins because it was much easier, and that trailer had all of the electrical problems you would expect. Hydros lasted the entire time with no problems from what I remember, he probably had it for 8-10 years.

My experience with thick, rubberized style bed liners is that they are sticky and hard to sweep clean. You could throw some paint down but you would have to sand and possibly acid prep (if you want the paint to stick) a galvanized surface. I don't think the upside is really worth it. I think I would just get a horse stall mat and cut it to fit, but then you would have to pull it every so often and sweep underneath, but there is still going to be abrasion caused by dust getting under the mat. If you are not hauling large pieces of stone or masonry, you are probably better off to just leave it as is and let it rust. If it is a decent quality trailer stored indoors, it is going to take a LONG time for the corrosion to become an issue. That galvanization is probably more effective than anything you can replace it with.

I think those type of trailers do not hold water like a larger, more enclosed trailer would. Water mixing with debris or leaves really makes them rust. You might want to consider replacing the hardware with stainless though, that is where the corrosion is going to start. Also upgrade the wiring, I would make a new harness with quality components. The main weakness with trailers seems to be their off the shelf components: Axles, bearings, wiring, lights, and fasteners is where the cost cutting is really obvious. You want it ready to rock when you need it, not constantly having to fix nagging issues caused by poor build quality.

Keeping it indoors is going to prolong it's life by a lot. Ata boy!

thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
That galvanized is plain but keeps on ticking forever. You just keep touching up with cold galvanize wherever you knock the finish off or sand rust off and spray or paint the cold galvanize on. It will far outlast painted metal in my experience the way most trailers get treated .

Roger that, and thanks gents... !
smile.gif

Looks like trying extend life of the trailer maybe a fruitless exercise in efforts and expenditures...
I will be hauling cement blocks etc. and thats was what i was concerned with the most.
Maybe just throw on a sheet of plywood and that will be sufficient.
..sometime leaving well enough alone.. is the wisest decision.
I have a few cans of Krown rust control... maybe that will appease my maintenance OCD...
wink.gif

Cheers
J.

You can go to the pull it yard and get the rubber pad from the trunk of an avalanche. Cut to fit, good for preventing dents and scratches or just cushioning. Might fly out with nothing on it though. I would not leave it in there all the time due to the possibility of moisture staying under it.

Interesting Idea..that sounds pretty much what im looking for.. prevent scratches and dents that will lead to corrosion.
is this a standard lining found on all Avalanches..??
Indeed.. only on a need to use basis

Originally Posted by 2K2AcuraTL
Interesting Idea..that sounds pretty much what im looking for.. prevent scratches and dents that will lead to corrosion.
is this a standard lining found on all Avalanches..??
Indeed.. only on a need to use basis

In chevy avalanche beds and cadillac escalade.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back