Pick a car stereo for me - nothing fancy needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody who is “up” on this, please give me some pointers.

It is an SUV, late 90s Acura SLX, (an Isuzu Trooper re-badged). Nice looking, runs great, a good truck I like. Historically, I have driven it little so didn’t care very much about the sound, but starting in a few weeks, I am going to start drving it more for various reasons, and want something more user friendly/modern. It has the original single din radio/cassette and a second single DIN cd changer in the middle column. I will put a single DIN storage cubby in the changer spot. I may upgrade speakers, but am not messing with an amp, etc. Just head unit.

Wants:
1. Able to set color to mono green, no multiple or other colors on screen at night I find it very distracting.
2. Plays well with my iPhone
3. Bonus if single CD also, I have a large collection and am not putting it all on my phone.
4. Economical, but I will pay a little more for a known reliable brand vs. something unknown or iffy.
5. Any other feature I should get that may be off my radar?

I would appreciate advice or pointers, thank you!

Will you install or have it installed? If doing yourself, Crutchfield is the only place to buy because they give you everything you need (you will want to buy wire twist connectors). Just do a search in their site. If having it installed Best Buy is a good choice, often they have free install but you still need to buy face plate, harness, antenna adapter (these typically included, along with install instructions for your specific vehicle, with crutchfield).

If your vehicle has steering wheel audio controls, and you want to still use them, make sure you get a head unit that has that capability. You will need another adapter, usually about $75.

Sony, Pioneer, Clarion, Alpine, JVC, even Kenwood are all good brands.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
(you will want to buy wire twist connectors)

Please tell me you are joking.

Aside from your smart a** comment, these are what I am talking about. A lot easier and faster than crimping. I have done it both ways, many times crimping.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_669PP500/Posi-Products-Car-Stereo-Wiring-Harness-Connectors.html

Never heard of those before, so I had to check.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Wants:
1. Able to set color to mono green, no multiple or other colors on screen at night I find it very distracting.
2. Plays well with my iPhone
3. Bonus if single CD also, I have a large collection and am not putting it all on my phone.
4. Economical, but I will pay a little more for a known reliable brand vs. something unknown or iffy.
5. Any other feature I should get that may be off my radar?

I would appreciate advice or pointers, thank you!

After we got my wife's Captiva, I spent a couple of nights trolling ebay for a double DIN Sat Nav, blue tooth phone connected unit with a DVD player.

Came with a plug and play set of cords and plugs (eventually), so all the steering wheel buttons work as well.

It's not what you are after, I know, but flipping through ebay, talking to sellers, and an afternoon of messing with dashboards, she's happy.

If you want it to play well with iPhone one with CarPlay might be worthwhile although some of you other requirements preclude this (single color and single DIN)

That said recently put an Alpine CDE175BT in and its seems to play well with iPhone, though it has not been in long. Every thing mid to high end has gone double DIN “media receiver” (no CD).

Crutchfield is a good place and they will even crimp the harness for you if you want (and will pay extra).

BTW, if you aren’t aware when you start driving your SLX frequently check the oil often, Troopers do not like to be run even a little low on oil.

I have an Alpine something-235-something in my truck which is pretty similar to what you are talking about. Simple display and interface with USB, iphone and bluetooth built in. Not the fanciest sound processing but its decent.

As for the connectors, I've had great results using a gold plated butt splice crimp from the local hardware store.

I was considering one of these from my E36, but its a basic, no frills radio with all the add ons, i think its oly blue or orange though, but its possible VDO/Continental makes other models. VDO radio

Last edited:
+1 on Crutchfield.

I've been buying from them for 30 years or so and have never had a problem.

Will you install or have it installed? If doing yourself, Crutchfield is the only place to buy because they give you everything you need (you will want to buy wire twist connectors). Just do a search in their site. If having it installed Best Buy is a good choice, often they have free install but you still need to buy face plate, harness, antenna adapter (these typically included, along with install instructions for your specific vehicle, with crutchfield).

If your vehicle has steering wheel audio controls, and you want to still use them, make sure you get a head unit that has that capability. You will need another adapter, usually about $75.

Sony, Pioneer, Clarion, Alpine, JVC, even Kenwood are all good brands.

ABSOLUTE BEST ADVICE! Cruthfield is the KING and best place. You get everything you need and the prices are very good.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
+1 on Crutchfield.

I've been buying from them for 30 years or so and have never had a problem.

Atleast 30 years for me too. Great company to deal with.

Another vote for Crutchfield. And pick up a $40 set of speakers for the front. Careful though it’s easy to get hooked on car stereos
smile.gif

Hey - did anyone mention Crutchfield?
If it were my car, I would install a double din Andriod/Apple unit.
Kenwood is great stuff; they bought JVC a few years ago.
JVC is great and is cheaper.
When they have refurbs you can save a little more.
You will find your factory speakers sound better with one of these units.
Have fun!

Crutchfield for sure.
Something with carplay will be a pretty good chunk of change.
CD in car audio is on it's way out. With portable hard drives so cheap, and free rip software, most people lean toward having every CD they have at their fingertips via MP3 or FLAC.
Crutchfield

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
(you will want to buy wire twist connectors)

Please tell me you are joking.

Aside from your smart a** comment, these are what I am talking about. A lot easier and faster than crimping. I have done it both ways, many times crimping.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_669PP500/Posi-Products-Car-Stereo-Wiring-Harness-Connectors.html

They don't look like a bad way to go although I have never used them. You may want to see if they have a adapter to plug into your original harness so you don't have to hack into it.

Edit: Like this one, they probably have them at the store that sells the radio also.

https://www.amazon.com/1996-1999-Harness-Install-Aftermarket-Stereo/dp/B01M1KDGMX

Last edited:
Nearly every car radio nowadays has at least one USB port to play MP3's, and a good many will now play FLAC files too. Changing colors is available on most good units, green should be an option, but the thing to look out for is being able to read the display in the daylight. Al lot of aftermarket decks are nearly impossible to read or even see the display in sunlight. The other thing to look out for is how easy is it to adjust the sound or change tracks and make other adjustments while driving. You don't want to put the car in a ditch because you can't read the display or have to dive through three menus just to adjust the bass/treble or change to a different music folder.

Crutchfield has the best customer service and support there is for car audio. If you have a problem, they will help you with it and their tech support staff are very good at what they do. Crutchfield's prices are higher than other online stores like Amazon, but they make up for it by providing free or very low priced installation parts. Amazon does not offer anywhere near the same customer support as Crutchfield does. Pioneer car audio usually has a good price, has great sound quality and generally is easy to operate. I never used the Posi products for wire connections. Solder and heat shrink or 3M Super 33+ is the most reliable method of making wire connections. Use Super 88+ if you live in a very cold climate. You can also buy crimp caps or butt connectors cheap on Amazon or pay a little more at the auto parts store, Walmart or Home Depot/Lowe's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back