Home

YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars

Posted By: E365

YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/01/18 11:30 PM

I found it very interesting that through May 2018, Jeep has sold more SUVs than the entire car lines of Toyota and Lexus combined.

408,033 vs. 389,951

This time last year Toyota/Lexus cars were up by about 85,000 units over Jeep.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fca-us-reports-may-2018-sales-300658091.html
http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/tmna+may+2018+sales+chart.download
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/01/18 11:35 PM

It appears people like them, a lot. We're happy with both of our Jeeps and sooner or later be buying another one.
Posted By: mrsilv04

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/01/18 11:45 PM

Successful even with Sergio at the helm. Impressive!
Posted By: JLTD

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/01/18 11:45 PM

Plus the new Wrangler is out ... those sales are going well.
Posted By: supton

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/01/18 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I thought Sergio turned them around?

That is crazy though. I'm hesitant to read the tea leaves and predict the death of the sedan, but it sure ain't looking good. First Ford bails, now Toyota sedans are falling behind Jeep sales. Who would have thought?
Posted By: edwardh1

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 12:17 AM

hard to believe, few Jeeps on my street

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: supton

That is crazy though. I'm hesitant to read the tea leaves and predict the death of the sedan, but it sure ain't looking good. First Ford bails, now Toyota sedans are falling behind Jeep sales. Who would have thought?

I believe the Wrangler was only a few hundred units shy of outselling the Camry in April 2018!
Posted By: MaximaGuy

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 12:25 AM

Marketing gimmicks to find another brain-dead buyer for Chrysler. If it was Ford, I would have thought twice before posting, but Chrysler, never.
Never liked the entire Chrysler line up incl. those ugly Dodges built on MB chassis.
Brute torque and nothing else.
Posted By: Leo99

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 12:30 AM

I would have lost that bet.

Next door neighbor has a new RAM truck. Neighbor down the street has two new Jeeps. My old Cherokee was pretty good.
Posted By: IndyIan

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 12:57 AM

It's cool that the Cherokee still has some off-road capability. Why they thought 25 cu.ft was sufficient behind the seats though is a mystery to me... That discounted it from my consideration anyways.
Posted By: Garak

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 01:03 AM

I thought Sergio turned them around?

I think Sergio just annoys people and people forget what he can accomplish outside of that.
Posted By: OVERKILL

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Marketing gimmicks to find another brain-dead buyer for Chrysler. If it was Ford, I would have thought twice before posting, but Chrysler, never.
Never liked the entire Chrysler line up incl. those ugly Dodges built on MB chassis.

Obviously there is a rather large group of people who have a very different opinion of the brand.
Posted By: mbacfp

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 01:38 AM

I admit I love my ugly Dodge Charger. I'll submit it isn't as smooth as a Lexus. Cannot beat the bang for your buck performance wise. It handles curves in the road quite well for its size.
Posted By: dishdude

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 02:05 AM

He got rid of those Rubbermaid interiors Daimler was using!
Posted By: itguy08

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 02:16 AM

It validates that the CUV/SUV thingy is what people want. I think that's pretty much a given now that sedans are dying and may be dead in 10-15 years. Still don't get the love for Jeep though.
Posted By: IndyFan

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 02:18 AM

I've got a new JL Wrangler and it is amazing. I love my JK Wrangler, but there really is no comparison. I'm creeping up on 5k miles and it has no issues. Fit and finish are excellent, the engine/6speed tranny are a perfect match, and it gets better mpg than my JK even though it is running on 35" tires. The new soft top is light years ahead of anything before it. It is VERY easy to operate, and there are no zippers. I can jump out and put it up or down in about 10 seconds. It is better on road and more capable off-road. They hit a grand slam with the new Wrangler and they are now raking in the cash. When they turn the new pickup loose, they'll hit it even further. They are killing it right now with Jeep.
Posted By: edhackett

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Obviously there is a rather large group of people who have a very different opinion of the brand.

Yes, if you look at overall sales in the U.S., FCA sells more vehicles than Honda and Subaru combined and has sales comparable to Toyota.

Jan 17 to Jan 18 Sales Figures

Ed
Posted By: OilFilters

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Still don't get the love for Jeep though.

It's a Jeep thing...you wouldn't understand.
Posted By: nap

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 03:49 AM

Must be the lovely ZF licensed transmissions that attracts them laugh

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: nap
Must be the lovely ZF licensed transmissions that attracts them laugh

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but the 8 speed is a real gem. Nothing like getting a Rolls Royce and Bentley transmission in a Jeep.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission
Posted By: Brybo86

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 03:55 AM

And the average American has 15,000 in credit card debt.
You don't want to be normal.

I feel bad for anyone who buys a Jeep

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

Why? My 2015 served me well and held it's value. I sure don't need any pity.

Not sure what credit card debt has to do with this thread.
Posted By: 4WD

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 04:08 AM

Getting to the point where $15k is not earth shattering (one way or the other) is an opportunity wasted on some …

I can understand the Jeep jeeps … and the GC … but so many other odd and not fully thought out Jeeps being sold globally is not going to end well … make only two lines, then you’d make them better …
Posted By: dblshock

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 04:09 AM

good to look at but I'll keep updating the T4R.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 05:09 AM

Wrangler pickup coming soon. That’ll probably be a huge hit too.

https://www.motor1.com/news/237185/jeep-wrangler-pickup-april-2019/

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 09:48 AM

Originally Posted By: E365
Wrangler pickup coming soon. That’ll probably be a huge hit too.

https://www.motor1.com/news/237185/jeep-wrangler-pickup-april-2019/

My bet is it is another Grand Slam for them. No regrets buying either of my Jeeps. In fact they've been two of the best vehicles I've owned since around 1975 when I first started driving.

Every once in a while I get the urge for a 2018 JL Rubicon. Then I convince myself to give it a little more time. lol So far that has been working.
Posted By: madRiver

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 10:40 AM

I think Jeep name is simply an entire perception and image for buyer. The products are more main stream now and that 4 door Wrangler just plain appealing to those who wanted that Jeep but it was so impractical as 2dr.

All the trash piles of going mainstream with first generation Compass/Patriot/Chrerokee are now vast improvements over first pas which at best we’re laughable cars.

Posted By: Silverado12

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 11:14 AM

Jeep Cherokee and Wrangler are also the two most American made cars in existence now. More % of domestic parts than anything else currently made.
Posted By: Eddie

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 11:39 AM

I liked my Jeep GC and Wranglers but, today they have Dumbed down the name Jeep by putting the name on undeserving vehicles. Ed

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: OilFilters

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 12:20 PM

I wouldn't mind having a Jeep to wheel around in the woods, but surprisingly, there isn't that much for woods around here. Can't imagine wheeling a new Jeep though! but to each their own.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I liked my Jeep GC and Wranglers but, today they have Dumbed down the name Jeep by putting the name on undeserving vehicles. Ed

Today their sales are thru the roof. They still offer off road tuned models but that is a niche that carry for legacy folks like you. Most people just like the nice emblem and image of brand along with a (more) comfortable ride in the modern stuff.

I think the Compass and Cherokee look nice now in modern iterations
Posted By: PimTac

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 01:35 PM

The Renegade looks like a smaller International Scout. I have been seeing a lot of new Jeeps lately so they are selling very well in this region.
Posted By: Kira

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 01:57 PM

I simply MUST go to my local Jeep dealer and see these new Wranglers!

Also (small point here): What's the big deal with the demise of the sedan? I "always" thought a sedan was a wasteful. Raise the trunk lid to roof height and add 3 pieces of glass. Voila, you've invented the station wagon.

Another thing they're doing is making the product a bit chunkier and higher. Ooohhhh, we have to call it an SUV or CUV or something else.

Big deal, it's just another shape of the same thing. No memorial service necessary.

Back in the '70's when the convertible was phased out.....now that was a reason to mourn. And that the Robin (English 3 wheeler) isn't imported....so sad.
Posted By: jeepman3071

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 04:21 PM

Every other vehicle I pass here is a Grand Cherokee or Wrangler.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 07:17 PM

There are some extremely expensive Jeeps. The new Trackhawk is like 130 grand up here.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/02/18 07:19 PM

I have two of both. wink

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/03/18 11:39 AM

There are some extremely expensive Jeeps. The new Trackhawk is like 130 grand up here.

Didn't realize they got that expensive! not surprised though.

Posted in jest. I went to find the pic below but found that instead.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/03/18 12:25 PM

Why? I've got two and they are the most enjoyable and versatile vehicles I've ever owned.

Btw, I feel even more badly for anyone who lives in Chicago. grin

I took my new JL off-road with only about 1500 miles on it. That's what they were made to do! It was outstanding. My old JK is excellent off road, but the JL is better. It has better gearing, a better clutch, more suspension flex and rides better. It also has slightly better ground clearance, in stock form. (My JL now has MUCH better clearance and breakover angle, with the lift and 315's.)

I just took the hard top off and installed the soft top. It is light years ahead of previous soft top designs. It is incredibly easy to open the sunrider or put it all the way down. You can almost do it with one hand. It takes about 20 seconds to completely take it down or put it up. The material is of high quality, and the windows are very easy to install or take off. This new design is just incredibly well thought out and executed. I'm closing in on 5k miles and have had zero issues. It is solid as a rock and has very nice power. I'm getting 17.5 mpg (actual, and indicated) with 35" tires and a heavy right foot, due to the great Aisin transmission and a wonderful note from a Magnaflow axle back exhaust. It is just plain fun! Here's a pic after a quick wash and Turtle Wax Ice application yesterday.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/03/18 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: IndyFan

Why? I've got two and they are the most enjoyable and versatile vehicles I've ever owned.

Btw, I feel even more badly for anyone who lives in Chicago. grin

I took my new JL off-road with only about 1500 miles on it. That's what they were made to do! It was outstanding. My old JK is excellent off road, but the JL is better. It has better gearing, a better clutch, more suspension flex and rides better. It also has slightly better ground clearance, in stock form. (My JL now has MUCH better clearance and breakover angle, with the lift and 315's.)

I just took the hard top off and installed the soft top. It is light years ahead of previous soft top designs. It is incredibly easy to open the sunrider or put it all the way down. You can almost do it with one hand. It takes about 20 seconds to completely take it down or put it up. The material is of high quality, and the windows are very easy to install or take off. This new design is just incredibly well thought out and executed. I'm closing in on 5k miles and have had zero issues. It is solid as a rock and has very nice power. I'm getting 17.5 mpg (actual, and indicated) with 35" tires and a heavy right foot, due to the great Aisin transmission and a wonderful note from a Magnaflow axle back exhaust. It is just plain fun! Here's a pic after a quick wash and Turtle Wax Ice application yesterday.

thumbsup

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/03/18 03:44 PM

Didn't realize they got that expensive! not surprised though.

Posted in jest. I went to find the pic below but found that instead.

LOL! That's a good one!
Posted By: ls1mike

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/03/18 05:08 PM

Not a Jeep guy never have been, but I understand the attraction and why people like them.

Got to be the best comment in a thread because it comes from a guy driving the riveting 2.5 08 Accord. The 2.5 is an experience to behold, acceleration to rival my truck loaded for 5 days of camping towing my 32 foot trailer. smile

Sometimes, just sometimes I read something and have to be a D-bag. Today is one of those days.

Let me apologize in advance, but I couldn't let that one go.
Posted By: HowAboutThis

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/03/18 05:50 PM

Some of the new Jeeps are not pleasant on the eyes. Some are. What's their reliability? In the past they were never known to be very trouble free, if I remember correctly. I've always like the Wranglers and there's another new one, maybe the Cherokee, that I like the design of. I wouldn't be against one if I knew they were reasonably reliable. Can't be worse than Subaru needing head gaskets at 100k, right? LOL

Anyone know their major quirks?

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/03/18 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
Some of the new Jeeps are not pleasant on the eyes. Some are. What's their reliability? In the past they were never known to be very trouble free, if I remember correctly. I've always like the Wranglers and there's another new one, maybe the Cherokee, that I like the design of. I wouldn't be against one if I knew they were reasonably reliable. Can't be worse than Subaru needing head gaskets at 100k, right? LOL

Anyone know their major quirks?

Depends on the model. the GC has a wickedly reliable drivetrain for the most part, which it shares with the Durango. The Cherokee has its own drivetrain with the 9spd, which doesn't have the same track record. They all share the uConnect system, which is quite good.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/03/18 08:56 PM

In the past they were never known to be very trouble free, if I remember correctly.

You remember wrong. The Jeep 4.2/4.0L inline 6 is one of the most reliable engines ever built. The 2.5L 4 cylinder is the same minus 2 cylinders. Old Cherokees and Wranglers hold excellent resale value for their extremely good reputation of being reliable even into old age.

What they were not known for is gas mileage.
Posted By: Nick1994

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/03/18 09:02 PM

In the past they were never known to be very trouble free, if I remember correctly.

You remember wrong. The Jeep 4.2/4.0L inline 6 is one of the most reliable engines ever built. The 2.5L 4 cylinder is the same minus 2 cylinders. Old Cherokees and Wranglers hold excellent resale value for their extremely good reputation of being reliable even into old age.

Well, the 4.0L engine (not made by Jeep, is an AMC engine) is wonderfully reliable, it's the rest of the Jeep around it that's questionable...
Posted By: edhackett

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/03/18 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Sometimes, just sometimes I read something and have to be a D-bag. Today is one of those days.

You've been slacking lately. Good to have you back, Mike. grin

Ed

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/03/18 09:47 PM

I'm not necessarily disputing engine reliability. How about the million other parts? That's what I've heard about. It could just be all cars of the 80s and 90s were less reliable. But I don't remember Consumer Report rating them highly in the past 25 years or so.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/03/18 09:49 PM

It seems as if you love Jeeps, OilFilters, but this is what I'm talking about...

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/car-brands/jeep/index.htm

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/03/18 09:55 PM

I don't know (or care) about current models, but again, Cherokees and Wranglers from the 60s up through the 2000's have always been known for their overall reliability. They have never had a reputation of being unreliable. My 20 year old Cherokee with 191,000 miles is the most reliable vehicle I've ever had.

One of the reasons people like them is for their simplicity and easy maintenance with simple tools.

Also, the 4.0 might have been partially an AMC design, but they never made it. It came out in '87 when they were purchased by Chrysler.
Posted By: ls1mike

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/03/18 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: edhackett

You've been slacking lately. Good to have you back, Mike. grin

Ed

Thanks Ed! I wondered where you have been. Camping at Sequim Bay a couple of time later in the Summer.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 05:12 AM

Not a Jeep guy never have been, but I understand the attraction and why people like them.

Got to be the best comment in a thread because it comes from a guy driving the riveting 2.5 08 Accord. The 2.5 is an experience to behold, acceleration to rival my truck loaded for 5 days of camping towing my 32 foot trailer. smile

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Posted By: rooflessVW

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 05:31 AM

I'd love a Wrangler. Found one locally that was perfect. Factory options, wheels, tires, everything.

$52k.

Woof.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 05:36 AM

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd love a Wrangler. Found one locally that was perfect. Factory options, wheels, tires, everything.

$52k.

Woof.

Jeeps aren't cheap! The good thing about a Wrangler or GC is they hold their value. Lee knew what he was doing when he bought AMC.
Posted By: CR94

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 07:20 AM

... Also, the 4.0 might have been partially an AMC design, but they never made it. It came out in '87 when they were purchased by Chrysler.
Based heavily on an AMC design that came out in '64.
Posted By: dlundblad

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 09:53 AM

Originally Posted By: CR94
... Also, the 4.0 might have been partially an AMC design, but they never made it. It came out in '87 when they were purchased by Chrysler.

The original (Renix) 4.0 x was when Renault and Bendix did a joint venture. I don't think Chrysler had anything to do with the initial design until they came out with the 4.0 high output. I could be wrong though.
Posted By: SteveSRT8

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 11:08 AM

I'd love a Wrangler. Found one locally that was perfect. Factory options, wheels, tires, everything. $52k. Woof.

If by "woof" you mean a ridiculous price then I'm there, too. Unbelievably expensive.
Posted By: SeaJay

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 11:38 AM

Where would FCA be without the Jeep line?
Posted By: SeaJay

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 11:41 AM

Reliable engines by themselves do not make a car reliable. I can think of a number of unreliable cars with a 318 V8 or a slant six.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 12:20 PM

http://www.jeepproblems.com/recalls/

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I'd love a Wrangler. Found one locally that was perfect. Factory options, wheels, tires, everything. $52k. Woof.

If by "woof" you mean a ridiculous price then I'm there, too. Unbelievably expensive.

That is nuts.

We were killing time while her Volvo was at the dealer getting aligned. Brand new 2017 4 door Wrangler. Decent options (A/C, electric windows/ seats, alloy wheels, hard top w/ full doors) for 30k. I can't think of a better new vehicle buy aside from a Tacoma.

The more I go on, I am just not sold on the JL yet. I liked the JK from day one so we shall see..

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

That is nuts.

We were killing time while her Volvo was at the dealer getting aligned. Brand new 2017 4 door Wrangler. Decent options (A/C, electric windows/ seats, alloy wheels, hard top w/ full doors) for 30k. I can't think of a better new vehicle buy aside from a Tacoma.

The more I go on, I am just not sold on the JL yet. I liked the JK from day one so we shall see..

I like the JL, but I will not buy the first year of any new platform, no matter what I see or hear about how good it is. I also think that the prices might not go up as much going forward if the Bronco takes off. I'll give the JL until 2020 before I even think of selling or trading my 2016 JK in, or replacing the Liberty with a JL and keeping the 2016 JK. The Bronco might be so good I buy that and skip the JL altogether.
Posted By: meep

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 01:36 PM

My personal experience. Jeep reliability? I've owned two and wrenched on more.

93 GC. to be fair, I bought this with over 200k on it and sold around 250,000. It was, for what it was, solid. they weren't known for reliable A/C so I didn't repair this one either. A/W A4 trans was solid and super reliable as long as you didn't overheat it AW4 trans was rare in this vehicle. I6 engine was easily worked on and quite durable. It was a mountain goat even with mild A/T tires. not a great HWY cruiser. didn't complain about towing within reason. Mine was so old I can't really fault the failures I had with it, power window mechanicals, alternator, water pump, as at 200k that car owed me nothing. Even so, it was hard to live with the amount of upkeep it needed by then. It was by far the most enjoyable vehicle I owned. There's something about that one which spoke to me. The first gen also saw the beginning of daimler's universal transmission architecture... 41TE, 42RFE, 44RE, 46RE, 42LE... all using common inside parts built for front drive, rear drive, and front drive front facing layouts. There were some serious teething pains in the early years with that. The 41TE used in neons and minivans never really did become totally ironed out, but the RWD and front drive front facing designs I think did.

The generation after that was plagued with creature comfort issues. most notably HVAC. Some level of transmission issues too if I recall. However, it may have been a sweet spot for the GC lineup in terms of reliability.

08 GC. multiple failed power window switch gear. Maligned blend door problem from day 1. Stalling/idling problem which resulted in engine lurching the car forward as it would stumble and re-catch (so during that tight manuever in the garage or in traffic the engine would stumble and lurch forward, no good). But not if the A/C was on. fuel rail test port leaked fuel into the engine bay without warning. valve tap started at 36,000 on full synthetic oil diet, and started showing rod knock at higher temps if towing light. never threw a code so repairs were just part swapping. I sold it and now see on the boards where it's a common problem but not a common fix. known for misaligned rear axle tubes from the manufacturer. Body flex was so bad the doors creaked against the body if you were so bold as to set one wheel atop a curb. One day I entered a setting change on the EVIC and it promptly shut off and the dash went nuts. I can't make this stuff up. Oddly enough, however, it was super comfortable, had a great stereo, and handled /excellent/. The MB-sourced Nag1 transmission was a dream. It was in my opinion one of the best 5spd ATs produced. The 3.7 was a good design, but I think only so-so manufactured, and mine was probably not a good one. That vehicle was a mixed bag.

We looked at a newer chero for my son. Of the little 'utes, it had the best interior, ride quality, and handling dynamics of the ones we looked at. compared with rav4, escape, compass, and someting else I can't remember. But the 9 speed with the four banger did things that were entirely unacceptable if it were another brand. A honda shifting like that? people would condemn it. Couldn't make up its mind, and when it did it might (or might not) <slam> into the next gear with enough force to make me wonder about engine mounts. My son and I really wanted this car to work out. We went to the jeep forums and.... no. It was not uncommon to see, "two transmission replacements under warranty, and now it's doing it again. must sell before the warranty runs out."

So for Jeep, I can't sum them up as a brand. I think it's better to sum them by division. I suspect the wrangler is still internally designed and managed by the same team that had it 10 years ago, and it's consistent. Look at how they dress cables and set the engine bay? Well-dressed. Clean. Easy to get in there, maintian, and get the mud out. Electronics are well-protected. The wrangler gets a lot of well-designed love, and they don't cost-cut the details in that vehicle. I noticed similar with RAM trucks 10 years ago, don't know about now. I hate to say it, but everything else FWD is a neon. And that's not bad, but it is not the same. I have no experience with the RWD sedan family.

-m
Posted By: HemiHawk

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 01:45 PM

It validates that the CUV/SUV thingy is what people want. I think that's pretty much a given now that sedans are dying and may be dead in 10-15 years. Still don't get the love for Jeep though.

Aside from my 97 which I bought just because I needed a winter beater, I don't really get it either. The wrangler offers so little for the money, yet people buy them like crazy. I get resale, but they're more expensive than they should be to begin with. I looked at them last year before getting my Frontier. Would a Wrangler do better off road? 100%. In just about every other measurable way? Not really... I test drove a "sport" 4 door. Pre-owned it was like 32k. They are mostly status symbol vehicles. Kudos to those that use them for what they were intended though.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: CR94

And your point is? "Jeep" was never "Jeep" on it's own...it's always been a product of somebody else. The fuel/ignition system in the 4.0 was never an AMC product. Then Chrysler redesigned the engine in 1991 and again very heavily in 1996. I suspect the original AMC 4.2L design borrowed heavily from the other brands of inline 6 at the time, which aren't much different.

Prior to the introduction of the 4.0L, AMC had to use the CHEVROLET 2.8L V6 in their Cherokees...which was a turd. I will concede that 1984-1986 Cherokees were not a reliable product.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Reliable engines by themselves do not make a car reliable. I can think of a number of unreliable cars with a 318 V8 or a slant six.

Sorry, I guess I forgot to point out the reliable body, the reliable transmission, the reliable transfer case and axles...etc. *sigh*

There is a reason old Cherokees and Wranglers still cost so much. Way more than a competitive SUV from another brand. It's very common for them to be driven well past 300,000 miles without major work.

The transmission in the Cherokee was an AW product...made in the same factory as Toyota transmissions.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Well, the 4.0L engine (not made by Jeep, is an AMC engine) is wonderfully reliable, it's the rest of the Jeep around it that's questionable...

The funny thing is my parents suffered with 85 AMC Eagle with the 4.2. It was a terribly constructed vehicle. That all being said my dad was regional saleman on the road and put over 295k on ours with not single mechanical engine or transmission, or AWD problem. The rest of vehicle was absolute garbage. We just parked it in a field and it sat and finally a Jeep person CJ7 purchased just for engine.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 03:14 PM

I'm a mid sized fan and don't tow anything large enough to need towed by a diesel. Why would I want a diesel truck? Lol.

Unless you mean a diesel Colorado.....
Posted By: VNTS

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 04:49 PM

Not surprising they are selling a lot of Jeeps. Cant beat a Grand Cherokee or Wrangler, they have improved the drive trains, interiors etc

Even the Cherokees are decent if you want something less capable.

Wifes 15 Overland has been trouble free, cant beat the Hemi 8spd and all the luxury for the money, plus lifetime maxcare.
Posted By: SilverSnake

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/04/18 04:50 PM

I've got a new JL Wrangler and it is amazing. I love my JK Wrangler, but there really is no comparison. I'm creeping up on 5k miles and it has no issues. Fit and finish are excellent, the engine/6speed tranny are a perfect match, and it gets better mpg than my JK even though it is running on 35" tires. The new soft top is light years ahead of anything before it. It is VERY easy to operate, and there are no zippers. I can jump out and put it up or down in about 10 seconds. It is better on road and more capable off-road. They hit a grand slam with the new Wrangler and they are now raking in the cash. When they turn the new pickup loose, they'll hit it even further. They are killing it right now with Jeep.

So how do you like the ESS system so far?
Posted By: Subdued

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/05/18 05:42 AM

Originally Posted By: meep

We looked at a newer chero for my son. Of the little 'utes, it had the best interior, ride quality, and handling dynamics of the ones we looked at. compared with rav4, escape, compass, and someting else I can't remember. But the 9 speed with the four banger did things that were entirely unacceptable if it were another brand. A honda shifting like that? people would condemn it. Couldn't make up its mind, and when it did it might (or might not) <slam> into the next gear with enough force to make me wonder about engine mounts. My son and I really wanted this car to work out. We went to the jeep forums and.... no. It was not uncommon to see, "two transmission replacements under warranty, and now it's doing it again. must sell before the warranty runs out."

I just got my Cherokee transmission reprogrammed. I can confirm before the programming, it was exactly as you described.

After, it's a completely different creature.

These ZF units seem to be heavily reliant on programming, and if it's not right, it's really not right.
Posted By: lovcom

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/05/18 07:47 PM

Jeep and other Chrysler vehicles are rated the WORSE set of cars by ConsumerReports Magazine.

These Cheep, I mean Jeep cars have a reputation for having a lot of problems.
Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/05/18 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: lovcom
Jeep and other Chrysler vehicles are rated the WORSE set of cars by ConsumerReports Magazine.

Leasing a Jeep can be a very wise financial move by the customer.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/05/18 09:43 PM

I'll take my 470HP AWD luxury Jeep with its just under 9,000lb towing capacity over your pious, err, I mean Prius any day. But that's pretty much the attitude I expect from your ilk. The same reason you have your gas mileage in your signature, right? smirk
Posted By: PeterPolyol

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/05/18 10:12 PM

Could you imagine having to drive a Toyota, and still feeling insecure enough to repeatedly tell strangers how supposedly unreliable their [non-toyota] is? It's clear that just owning the toyota is not satisfying, to the point that the illusion of superiority needs constant daily maintainance by deriding others and all of their inferior brands, while dropping pro-toyota platitudes like an obese elephant drops puckey.... ugh.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 01:07 AM

consumer reports lmao

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Could you imagine having to drive a Toyota, and still feeling insecure enough to repeatedly tell strangers how supposedly unreliable their [non-toyota] is? It's clear that just owning the toyota is not satisfying, to the point that the illusion of superiority needs constant daily maintainance by deriding others and all of their inferior brands, while dropping pro-toyota platitudes like an obese elephant drops puckey.... ugh.

Have owned many toyotas, can confirm, wholly unsatisfying experience.

I happily trade perceived reliability for not being in another boring, bland toyota.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 01:39 AM

Never say never, they’re bringing back the Supra.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 02:19 AM

I'm sure my 20-something son would like that

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 03:48 AM

For heaven sake don't compare Toyota (which owns classic brands like Lexus, Yamaha, Denso, Aisin etc etc) with Chrysler (a company no one wants on their portfolio).

They may build bland vehicles but awfully reliable vehicles!!

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 04:50 AM

I'll make any [censored] comparison I want, you're not my mom.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 04:53 AM

Yamaha? … what just over 3% … Bezos could buy that and not drop his position …

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 06:07 AM

Current Fiat made models and having a "reputation" are two different things. Even if current models are bad (not saying they are), that does not make a "reputation". Newer vehicles change all the time.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 09:39 AM

For heaven sake don't compare Toyota (which owns classic brands like Lexus, Yamaha, Denso, Aisin etc etc) with Chrysler (a company no one wants on their portfolio).

They may build bland vehicles but awfully reliable vehicles!!

You are right.

Jeep is a child company whereas Toyota is a parent company..

Not a fair comparison at all! laugh
Posted By: Ducked

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 10:13 AM

I'd consider a Wrangler.

Seems to be the closest thing to a Lada that you can buy here.
Posted By: KrisZ

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 02:07 PM

crackmeup

Wiser words could not have been typed.
Posted By: SlipperyPete

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 04:17 PM

Perhaps Jeep is reaping the benefit of their recently acquired Euro-Brand cache. Sort of the Alfa-Romeo of the SUV world, if you will. grin
Posted By: Eric Smith

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 05:46 PM

I don't understand the prices their asking when the dealers are packed. Rented a Compass in San Antonio last week. Pretty nice ride overall but hated the stop/start. But compared to our 04 Escape the driving characteristics are the same and it's paid for, won't be upgrading anytime soon for $30k.
Posted By: pandus13

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

crackmeup

Can somebody find pic of the Hemi powered Prius???

...and yes, I did own a Toyota. and yes, it was a way better car then what i grew up with in my itty-bitty years in Eastern Europe (any modern car would do that....)

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: pandus13

crackmeup

Can somebody find pic of the Hemi powered Prius???

...and yes, I did own a Toyota. and yes, it was a way better car then what i grew up with in my itty-bitty years in Eastern Europe (any modern car would do that....)

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/06/18 08:59 PM

Is that Trump in the driver's seat? crackmeup

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/07/18 12:42 AM

Yup, LOL!

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/07/18 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By: E365
I found it very interesting that through May 2018, Jeep has sold more SUVs than the entire car lines of Toyota and Lexus combined.

408,033 vs. 389,951

This time last year Toyota/Lexus cars were up by about 85,000 units over Jeep.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fca-us-reports-may-2018-sales-300658091.html
http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/tmna+may+2018+sales+chart.download

https://www.cars.com/articles/15-cars-pu...C=buysr06142016
Posted By: WylieCoyote

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/19/18 01:42 PM

The people have spoken. They want the fuel economy comparable to a small car, but they want to sit up higher, cram more stuff in the back, and run over curbs without high-centering.

Have to admit that Jeep did a good job with the current Grand Cherokee....from a looks standpoint, anyway. It's a handsome, broad-shouldered SUV with impressive off-road abilities (used by 5% of consumers). I can't speak for the quality, but they look good.

The original Compass should've never happened. End of sentence.

Now that they've made the Compass look almost exactly like big brother Grand Cherokee, I can see one in traffic without cringing or eye pain, and can understand the appeal. I don't need such a vehicle, but there are plenty out there that are convinced they do. I'm neither here nor there on the Cherokee, although the facelift helped, IMO.

I normally stay on top of the changes that occur from generation to generation of vehicles, but the Wrangler has just fallen off my radar. Certain people (American muscle car fans, usually) complain that the Porsche 911 never seems to change. That's how I feel about the Wrangler. But the same argument applies....why mess with a successful recipe?

I was put off the Wrangler many generations ago when my best friend had one, and I needed a chiropractic visit after every ride I took with him. I'm sure that situation is better now, but again, I have no use for a vehicle like that.

Kudos to Jeep for their success. It'd be nice to see Toyota taken down a notch or two.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/19/18 11:26 PM

With the exception of GC and Rubicon all other Jeep models are morally degrading to buy.
Posted By: Y_K

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/20/18 12:23 AM

Just turn the sound off

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/20/18 01:08 AM

Nice video that is where Jeeps shine and shine very well.
Having said that 1/1000 vehicles are put through these stress models.
Get real, a volume vehicle needs to fit in those 999 minds and souls.
Posted By: Silverado12

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/20/18 10:41 AM

With the exception of GC and Rubicon all other Jeep models are morally degrading to buy.

The Cherokee's "squinty eyes" are a little different but my wife's Cherokee is a really nice car. It rides and handles better than her 2012 Equinox it replaced.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/20/18 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Just turn the sound off

Great video but the tires beyond a capable AWD are the reason Jeep wins there. I am guessing the Land Rover has some sort of street oriented tire vs Jeep with an all-season with great snow capability or actual snow tires on it.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/20/18 12:51 PM

A better comparison would be Toyota(/Lexus?) SUV sales vs Jeep which only sells SUV's? Toyota Cars vs Jeep SUV's is sort of apples and oranges......
Posted By: VNTS

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/23/18 01:05 AM

Except Jeep owners dont buy in to the fake news err CR [censored], they like the capability, performance looks, and lifestyle with other Jeepers and find the quality and luxury is as good if not better than the competition.

My 02 WJ 4.7 Laredo and 15 Hemi Overland have been stellar such that my wife will not buy anything but a Jeep.

you need to get out of your Prius and try some other vehichles, I have never heard anyone on their death bed say I wish I bought a car with better gas mileage LOL

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/23/18 01:58 AM

Misery loves company. How else can you make yourself feel better about your appliance besides bringing others down?
I have never seen non Toyota owners polluting Toyota related threads with such intensity as Toyota fans do to other brands.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/23/18 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

So how do you like the ESS system so far?

It sucks. I gave it a fair chance and wound up hating it. So I bought a Tazer JL programmer and took care of that quickly and easily, while adjusting the speedo for tire size and a few other programming goodies. ESS bothers me no more!

If Toyota fans just can't wrap their heads around it, this might make them feel better: The 6 speed manual in the JL is an Aisin, which I believe is 51% owned by Toyota. It is hands down the best manual transmission I've ever owned. It is smooth as silk and is well matched to the Pentastar Upgrade. the first gear is very low, and in 4 low, it feels like it could pull a house off its foundation.

As for reliability, my 3 Jeeps, a YJ (130k miles, 10 years), my JK (124k, 11 years, still have it) and my JL (5.5k, just getting started) have been 100%. None of them has ever left me stranded. The YJ was bullet proof and took a helluva beating and LOTS of off-roading. It looked and drove like new when I sold it, which I never, ever should have done. I've seen those 2.5's with half a million miles on them. The JK runs like brand new and has had nothing but standard maintenance. It has been to Moab, Colorado, Windrock a bunch of times, and many, many, other places off-road. It has done lots of boat towing, too. I've ridden it hard. It used a bit of oil for awhile but about 9k ago, it just quit using it. That 3.8 is known for oilcoholism. Maybe it got back on the wagon. I expect 300k plus out of this thing. When it does bite the dust, I'll have no worries. I have a lifetime warranty that came as an incentive when I bought it. It still looks and drives like new. We'll see how the JL does, but I've had no issues. It is just a hoot to drive. I can't decide if I'd rather hear the Magnaflow exhaust, which sounds beautiful, especially when going through the gears with that 6 speed, or if I'd rather listen to the [censored] Alpine sound system. Even more impressive is that my JL, with 35's, gets about 1.5 mpg better than my JK, which has 33's.

Oh, and one of the most impressive pieces of engineering on this machine? The soft top. It is simply outstanding. It is ten times easier to raise, lower, fold back, or put windows on/off, than any Jeep before it. It has zero flapping, even behind a semi. It just impresses the heck out of me. If I'd have known it was this good, I'd have never bought the hard top.

Even if these Jeeps I've had were not reliable, they'd still be more fun per mile than the Toyotas I've owned, by a long shot. (Or, anything else, for that matter.) If I had a million bucks, I'd still have this JL. Of course, there would be a C7 sitting next to it, but I'd still have this Jeep.
Posted By: CrAlt

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/24/18 01:40 AM

Factory ordered my JK and love it. No plans of getting rid of it anytime soon. This is my 2nd Jeep (had a XJ before). Really happy with the Pentastar engine.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/24/18 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: CrAlt
Factory ordered my JK and love it. No plans of getting rid of it anytime soon. This is my 2nd Jeep (had a XJ before). Really happy with the Pentastar engine.

The tires really look good. Whenever I see those steel wheels, they always have such dinky tires. 2 doors look bad, but the 4 door dramatizes it and just look horrible. It's a shame because the steel wheel is a good looking wheel IMO. I actually wanted to find a set of those for my Jeep, but went with the ~2007ish 16" alloy.

One thing they did do with the JL is increase the tire size with the steel wheel.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/24/18 11:41 AM

The Cherokee is basically the Grand Cherokee, but smaller.

The Rubicon is Wrangler package. Very cool nonetheless, but I wouldn't call a base Wrangler "morally degrading."

Have you priced a Rubicon vs. a comparable Sport? All things being equal, we are looking at about a $10k difference for lockers, sway bar disconnects, rock sliders, and Rubicon stickers. They also made (make?) the Sport S which is a happy medium.

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/24/18 03:07 PM

Doesn't Toyota Land Cruiser start around $80k? Is basically a tractor with similar off road cababilites as much cheaper Jeep. Oh, I forgot, reliability LOL

Re: YTD 2018: Jeep Outselling all Toyota/Lexus Cars - 06/24/18 03:32 PM

Doesn't Toyota Land Cruiser start around $80k? Is basically a tractor with similar off road cababilites as much cheaper Jeep. Oh, I forgot, reliability LOL

The mid 90s models are absolutely beautiful. Not sure what happened with the current models.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy