You're About To Drive Cross Country...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you get itchy feet and want to hop in the car and drive cross country from Virginia to California because, why not!?

You drive a 2007 Honda Fit, 5 Speed with 113,000 on the clock and multiple, A+ UOA's. Within the past year, you've changed the plugs, coils, and you'll put on new brakes before you leave and your roadside service is active. The car hasn't given you any trouble and the tires have 'enough' tread on them to make the round trip.

What else would you do in preparation? What spare parts would you pack (considering you're driving during a weekend) considering you can repair most things yourself?

Thanks!

Make sure the spare is full of air, change out the pcv valve with an oem unit esp if the original is still in there.

Check fluid levels often during the trip. Wax the front end, get some Poorboys Bug Squash which also removes road tar. Available on Autogeek.com

Make sure the cooling system is in good shape. That will be your weakest link in a 10 yr old car. The radiator and t-stat are most suspect.

Drive to the closest airport and just buy a ticket for a direct flight. My sciatic nerve pain just starts twitching at the thought of a long car ride like that. My parents are in their 80s and drive back and forth between southern Arizona dna Cincinnati several times a year...1800 miles in 3 days. I can'e even imagine.

If it is an option, I would seriously consider renting a car. Rentals are so cheap nowadays and in situations like this, it is better to be driving a new car that can be quickly replaced if anything goes south.

Probably nothing, unless there's some common part that fails and stops the car? Is your battery very old? We had an alternator go out once and the battery was 8 years old, so it was probably the cause.
I'd just have a look underneath to make sure nothing important is leaking, check the fluids up top, and go enjoy the trip!
Also schedule some time for detours along the way, we've driven to the west coast a couple times and my only regret was not having enough time to see more things.

I can see the allure of driving cross country but I would rent a car and fly back. That return trip may seem SUPER long.

Use an inferred temperature gauge to check the temperature on the brakes right after you have driven it for several miles.

Sometimes when you put new brake-shoes on the pistons on the caliper or wheel cylinder has rust in an area that was not being used and is now being used, and this causes the caliper or wheel cylinder to not completely release when the brake is not being applied. This causes the brakes to rub more than normal and causes the brakes to get too hot. This is tricky to catch because it can rub enough to create the excess heat, but not hard enough to cause the wheel to not turn. This can cause the brakes to over-heat and if they get hot enough with the speeds seen when driving on a highway, the brake fluid can get hot enough to boil and create gas in the brake system that makes the brakes not work.

Last edited:
...make sure I have plenty of water and other drinks loaded into a decent cooler. I get thirsty on long trips.

Also, I'd make sure I have something that I can use to locate any necessary gas stations, etc.. along the way, in case I need to dispose of any of that used water.

I also keep a small rubbermaid tote in my trunk that holds some towels, a couple quarts of oil, a 2l bottle of water for the radiator, and a small socket and wrench set, as well as a couple screwdrivers, a flat plug/patch kit, and a couple of hose clamps.. just in case. Oh yeah, and a partially-used roll of duct tape in case I need to emergency patch a hose.

If you have the basic tools needed to do it, spare belts. Basically everything including A/C and accessory belt. I'm not sure what drives what on a Fit, but it's probably just two belts.

I don't really know how to do it myself, but having suffered a snapped belt before, this is apparently the one cheap part breaking that could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. The belts (OEM quality from Bando or Gates) sell for less than $30 for the set if you price shop.

Globalksp, your statement of "put on new brakes before you leave" is what has me concerned because in the rare time that new brakes have the failure to completely release and causes an over-heat problem it is right after the brakes were changed that this problem occurs.

I'd hop in and go. It's only 3000 miles. Why would 3000 miles in 2 days be more stressful on your car than 3000 miles in 2 months?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
If it is an option, I would seriously consider renting a car. Rentals are so cheap nowadays and in situations like this, it is better to be driving a new car that can be quickly replaced if anything goes south.

thankyou2.gif

Beat me to it!

You guys have no adventure.

Nothing wrong with OP’s car. I’d do this in my Jeep or truck worry free.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
...make sure I have plenty of water and other drinks loaded into a decent cooler. I get thirsty on long trips.

Also, I'd make sure I have something that I can use to locate any necessary gas stations, etc.. along the way, in case I need to dispose of any of that used water.

I also keep a small rubbermaid tote in my trunk that holds some towels, a couple quarts of oil, a 2l bottle of water for the radiator, and a small socket and wrench set, as well as a couple screwdrivers, a flat plug/patch kit, and a couple of hose clamps.. just in case. Oh yeah, and a partially-used roll of duct tape in case I need to emergency patch a hose.

Also, dry snacks.
Rain coat.
blanket.
your favorite music.
couple pairs of good sunglasses.
a small cooler to keep your water/drinks.

check your brake pads and your battery.
check your spare tire.

have a good cell and extra battery/powerbank.

keep your car dirty when you get there. Nobody will ask you for change...

Do not drive "oozy"

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I'd hop in and go. It's only 3000 miles. Why would 3000 miles in 2 days be more stressful on your car than 3000 miles in 2 months?

Same here, except I would check fluid levels and tire pressure, after that gas up and go.
But I know my cars and don't leave things till last minute.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Make sure the cooling system is in good shape. That will be your weakest link in a 10 yr old car. The radiator and t-stat are most suspect.

This, make sure some spare fluids for every system in the trunk - just in case and battery is in good health.

Otherwise, enjoy ...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Very well said, I'll add it to my road trip list too
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back