Hot car used as intended--Fiesta ST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a Fiesta ST at the ski area today. Splashed with mud and Michelin Ice-x tires with steelies. Three young guys with snow boards. I'm sure they bombed it all the way up the mountain. ( Don't worry. It's bone-dry this year)

Impressed (and truth be told, a little envious). It's just great to see a car like that used as intended; driven hard but as an all-purpose vehicle.

Front engine, FWD, 0-60 in 7s, 200-ish HP.

Hot? What am I missing?

Do we know the owner didnt just buy the one with the most bling?

Seems its available with MT, so assuming that's the only option, the owner must know something about what theyre doing...

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
It’s still a Fiesta. I used to take my Cobalt SS skiing all the time. Regularly parked next to a Porsche 911 with a ski rack on it.

People will slap a rack on anything...
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Hot? What am I missing?

Seems its available with MT, so assuming that's the only option, the owner must know something about what theyre doing...

Stop looking at numbers and drive one?

I imagine the Fiesta ST defines the definition of "it's funner to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow".
Yes, the Fiesta ST is not slow, but compared to say an Accord 2.0T, WRX, GTI.. it's not as fast.

Cool to see! I know I'm pretty proud of seeing my Liberty with snow/mud on it and a loaded ski rack on the roof. Means you're in for a good time!

I once saw a Plymouth Super Bird on New York's Long Island Expressway ("World's Largest Parking Lot") with pigeons sitting on the air spoiler.

Wish I had it to post. I'd call it "The Opposite".

I'd call the Fiesta ST a warm hatch as opposed to a hot hatch, but it's still a lot of fun. If I was looking for a FWD work beater it would definitely be on my list.
And don't forget that a Mountune ECU flash is dead cheap($500) and adds 20 hp and 51 ft-lbs of torque. No rocket ship, but quicker than you might think.

Was reading a while ago that a lot of the cars headed back from NH to MA, RI, and CT on Sundays are covered with mud from private properties that the drivers had no business entering. Many of the offroad drivers bring bolt cutters and such tools with them to cut chains and other barriers that desperate owners would put up in attempts to protect their property, and even people who would leave open access points with signs begging drivers to not cause outrageous damage would almost always be disappointed. One NH farmer described how out of state offroaders would leave his private roads so rutted and muddy that he sometimes couldn't drive his tractors and ATVs through to get his work done.

Every time I am headed back home on 93 in NH (I have a condo up there in the mountains) and see a MA plate jacked up pickup with mud all over it, I wonder whose mud that is and what the driver did to access it.

I had a Fiesta Rental. I was prepared for the worst, but was very delighted by it. And it had the doppekepplung which worked VERY well and didn't have the converter sucking up 20% of your torque feel.

I just bumped my knee on the centre console. Hate those centre stacks!

Was much nicer than a Mazda 2 I had the year before.

The Fiestas are fun cars and since they are Europeans their sporty versions are actually sporty. Good cars to keep for a couple of years before they go bad.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
The Fiestas are fun cars and since they are Europeans their sporty versions are actually sporty. Good cars to keep for a couple of years before they go bad.

I'm sure they all just go bad like avocados that sit out too long.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

Hot? What am I missing?

Ive driven the Fiesta as a long-distance rental car. I wanted to like it... i like the Focus (at least until they start being made in China). But there's no front legroom.

Its better than a Hyundai Accent (just drove one of those around western PA about 100 miles), but its no focus. Granted, accent has better legroom.

Maybe ST is MUCH better, but its still small.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

Hot? What am I missing?

Ive driven the Fiesta as a long-distance rental car. I wanted to like it... i like the Focus (at least until they start being made in China). But there's no front legroom.

Its better than a Hyundai Accent (just drove one of those around western PA about 100 miles), but its no focus. Granted, accent has better legroom.

Maybe ST is MUCH better, but its still small.

It feels huge inside to me, but I'm only 5'9". I also think Geo Metros and Miatas are plentt roomy.

I just bought a 2017 Fiesta as a flood replacement vehicle. The most compelling reason was the incredible headroom the small car has. Granted it still pretty narrow but the headroom makes up for it. 5,000 miles and very happy so far.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
It’s still a Fiesta. I used to take my Cobalt SS skiing all the time. Regularly parked next to a Porsche 911 with a ski rack on it.

People will slap a rack on anything...
cool.gif

That was kind of a joke in a one-off TV movie that Eddie Murphy produced. It was about a family that included an oldest son who bought a 911. It cost him so much he had to move back in with his family. At the dinner table he was saying he was getting a ski rack for his 911. His brother said that he didn’t ski.

But people will think I do.

I saw a BMW 325xi in Nevada near Tahoe. The roads weren’t too bad with only patchy snow, but this parking lot on national forest land had snow and ice. I saw Firestone Winterforce tires on it and mentioned it to the owner. I know they’re the cheapest, loudest, and most basic winter tire on the market, but the owner said they work great for their intended purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back