Need turbo exhaust advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have a cruze. It has a stock downpipe witch has a cat. After the down pipe its 2.5 straight pipe all the way back. I dont like how the car farts around 2500 when the turbo starts to spool. I put on a single camber muffler and i lost all my turbo noise and its super quite now. So i want to have the turbo noises but not farty. Is there a way.

A "Vortex cone" type of muffler might actually be your only possible choice

DTC-772-32520_xl.jpg

I think you will be hard pressed to make an in-line 4 cylinder engine sound good at all. Many have tried. Most have failed. At least that’s how it is in my neighborhood. All the 4 cylinder cars around here with exhaust just sound like they have a bad case of diarrhea. I have heard a few Boxer 4’s in Subaru’s that sounded decent.

Well a evo drove by my work and i could her his turbo and it looked like he had one of those ebay sport muffler the round can type. It sounded pretty good not raspy or farty just deep and some spool sounds.

Shortest intake you can get ideally with a velocity stack mount for the filter. I had a Cobb sf intake on my mazdaspeed6 and even with the stock downpipe the turbo spool and bypass valve noise were very loud and borderline annoying. For reference the stock intake prevented you from hearing anything at all and a standard cold air intake on that car makes it so you can only faintly hear the bypass and not much spool.

This was my intake so you can get an idea of what it looked like. https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/mazdaspeed6-sf-intake-system

miata_resize.jpg

On my 1.8L Miata turbo, I routed the intake and filter to the air plenum by the windshield. This was in an attempt to get cooler air than what is normally found under the hood of a turbo car, in the South Florida summer heat.

It worked quite well and my intake temps remained reasonable.

However, an added benefit was the sound from the intake. Good god it was glorious inside the car. Not loud or annoying, but it absolutely let you know when the engine was working hard. Coupled with a 3 inch stainless turbo muffler and that 4 cylinder car sounded like the monster it was.

Go down to a 2 to 2 1/8" tail pipe - 2.25 is too big for a 1.4 turbo. Then put a - this is 60's Italian style - a resonator right at the end with a 1 /78 ex tip.

But - It Still wont sound right all then time with a turbo

I would have a fairly quiet exhaust with a LOUD intake on a turbo

The only two bolt-on mods (non-invasive) that I know of that will increase the sound of the turbo spooling in the cabin are:

1. Larger intake (sounds like you already did this)

2. Better-flowing cat directly downstream of the turbo (a high-flow cat is better than a test pipe, since test pipes stink and will likely pee off those behind your parked near you).

//

The location of the turbo, routing of the exhaust and intake, as well as the firewall will all change what you hear from the engine compartment.

I heard a bit of spool in my previous STI, but it really came alive after installing an AEM CAI. I wasn't a huge fan of the added wooshing noise and BOV sound when the BPV relieved intake pressure, but it was worth it, since Cobb showed some modest power gains with its OTS tune.

I purchased a high-flow, catted-DP, but was hit and eventually got rid of the STI before I could install it.

Not sure why I didn't think of this before:

Before I installed a CAI I removed the snorkus from my STI's stock intake and it resulted in some pretty nasty low-frequency reverberations when accelerating (i.e., onset of turbo spool) at relatively low RPM (e.g., low boost, 2-3k RPM).

So, it could be your intake causing the [censored]. To me, it sounded more like grunting, but it could be the same thing you're experiencing.

Originally Posted By: fisher83
I think you will be hard pressed to make an in-line 4 cylinder engine sound good at all. Many have tried. Most have failed. At least that’s how it is in my neighborhood. All the 4 cylinder cars around here with exhaust just sound like they have a bad case of diarrhea. I have heard a few Boxer 4’s in Subaru’s that sounded decent.

While this is completely subjective, I will agree that most people don't know how to make an inline-four sound good. I have done tons of exhaust systems with differnt kinds of mufflers, and the only kind that I will recommend to anyone else is a Spintech. If I was starting from scratch, which it looks like OP is with just a straight pipe, I would go with Spintech Sportsman Street 3000. I used one on a naturaully-aspirated inline-four, and I don't think it could have sounded much better. That particular model might be too quiet for this turbo Cruze, though.

OP: If you want to cut the drone but still want turbo noise, Spintech has tons of models. I believe they will even build a muffler to your specifications, so try asking them your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back