Replacement key/fob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone had experience with a good place to order replacement keys? My mother just got a 14 Acura RDX that only came with one key and started asking me about the best way to go to get a spare. It's got push button ignition and keyless access so I'm not sure how that changes things. Is the best way to just go through the dealer or is there a cheaper good option anyone has tried?

I've no idea on the Acura or push button ignition, but I got some very cheap FOBs off Amazon for my 2003 Excursion. Had a key cut for it and then found a procedure online to program the FOBs. It was a turn ignition on, roll window up and down, hit the lock switch 4 times, while hopping on one leg and holding a one-legged chicken type of procedure. It worked though and the FOBs have worked fine for over 2 years now. I'd check online forums specific to the RDX and see if anyone else has had success with cheap alternatives.

IN my case (Nissan Frontier) I had to go to the dealer and have key cut AND programmed.

Last edited:
There are some on Amazon for many vehicles. In the case of my F250 you need two working keyfobs to program a new one. Same for an 2001 Jeep. But other cars are probably different.

Only get the key cut at a locksmith (good one). They likely calibrate the key cutting machines every 6 months. At ACE or Home Depot who knows. I know from experience.

It took the locksmith 10 minutes to stop laughing after I showed him the non working key that a local hardware store cut for me.

Unfortunately I now have a key cutting anxiety and can only go to one locksmith in Pittsfield MA.

My experience with an online remote fob from "remote remote was not good. I could not get it programmed despite following the directions to the letter. Ended up going to a local locksmith which was about $150.00 cheaper than the honda stealership. I no longer have the CRV, but a few years back I lost my Sonata keys and fob in Des Moines IA when I dropped my keys and heavy rain washed them down a street drain. Luckily a Hyundai dealer was only a few blocks away from my hotel, cost about $320 for FOB and Keys and programming. I probably could have found a locksmith that would have been about $100 cheaper, but at that time I just wanted to get the FOB and keys and was in no mood to save a $.

Every car is different, check youtube videos for your specific model. I just bought a $25 replacement remote for my cruze and paid a locksmith $25 to cut it and self programmed in seconds, although the rfid trunk proximity doesn't seem to be working all 5 buttons do including remote start... I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back