Yakima ski rack lock issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Yakima ski rack on my Liberty that this season, one of the locks acts very weird. Here's the ski rack:
https://www.prolineracks.com/yakima-3070-buttondown-aero-ski-rack.html

One of the locks get stuck in the locked position. It'll lock smoothly and when you go to unlock it, it's stuck and you could break the key off in it if you wanted, it's that stuck. Then it'll just move like nothing is wrong. Tonight it got stuck and I gave it a few taps with a hammer and the key turned like normal, if that helps anyone diagnose it. The first few times it happened I thought it was just frozen, but that's not an issue at all. Any ideas? I'm thinking of going to a lock smith but wanted to see if it's an easy fix or if I should just replace the locks.

I would try some graphite spray or graphite powder and get some inside the lock and turn lock to unlock a number of times and see how it goes.

Last edited:
I've been less than impressed with how Yakima builds things IMO. IF you have the blank "control" key, with the lock in the unlocked position use the control key to pull the lock core out and then give the insides of the lock housing a good dousing with WD-40 to clean it out. Follow up the WD-40 with something that is more of a lubricant than a cleaner. I like Lock-Ease. Reinsert the lock core and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back