What size oil do you usually buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5qt jugs w/filter when it's the only deal when I happen to need an OCI. Otherwise, I buy my oil in qts(or jugs) on closeout/discontinued when they're available and build a stash. I'll get my filters when I need'em!

Whatever is on sale.
I have a mix of jugs (4 and 5 qt) and qt bottles.
I also have a 6 gallon bag of oil.

2002 Ford F150: 192,000 miles, Havoline High Mileage 5w-20, Ecogard filter, 5k OCI

2012 Scion xB: 41,000 miles, QSUD 0w-20, Car Quest Blue (Wix made) filter, 5k OCI

Originally Posted By: blupupher

I also have a 6 gallon bag of oil.

Does it have a pour spout like wine in a box?

What flavor is the 6 gallon bag?

Losing the gallon jugs of oil (when the industry went to 5 and 5 qt.+ jugs) was the last round of meaningful clearance I've ever experienced.

Now, the occasional table with motorcycle oil and failed boutique oils are the only clearances I see.

Kinda stands to reason....all those computer inventory control programs should mean tighter control....and fewer sales for us.

Today only transmission fluid and coolant come in US gallons.

HDEOs come in US gallon jugs as well.
I typically buy 5 qt jugs of the PCMO I use although I'll pick up quarts when they're at a deal price since they're much handier for top-offs as well as for the OPEs.
I do have some ten quart jugs of T5, but only because they cost $2.25 each with clearance pricing after MIR.

These days, usually by the 4 litre jug. I used to buy Imperial Gallons in the UK (not those wee toy American gallons) but I doubt you can do that any more.

Here some of the bottles come in US quart sizes but I avoid them, both on principle and because they seem to be priced similarly to the litre bottles.

Last edited:
I don't like the 4.4L jugs they sell up here in Canada, that size doesn't work well for my 3 cars. I'm only an hour away from the US border though (and we cross over it at least 6 or 7 times a year), so for the past few years I have been buying most of my oil from Walmart in Niagara Falls, NY and I grab the 5 quart jugs there. Not only does the size work out better for my cars but the price is a lot better too.

I usually go with the 5 qt. jug, but if it's a great price, I'll buy oil in qt. bottles.

The 5 qt. jugs are so much more convenient. It's a lot easier to put the used oil in a 5 qt. jug to return for recycle.

In the 70's and 80's I used to buy quarts by the case.

But now jugs are the way to go, need the oil also need a container for the used oil!

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

In the 70's and 80's I used to buy quarts by the case.

But now jugs are the way to go, need the oil also need a container for the used oil!

Yes, convienent for used oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back