Donating a car vs junkyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Sad day had my 97 geo towed off as my city said i cant have two non-running vehicles on my property. When did the city Nazi's show up. I've had the car 16 years so i have become quite attached. Two local junkyards lkq and pull n save said they didn't want it BUT wpuld give me $80 to crush it. It has $600 in new parts. I'm calling the EPA Monday as yhey know it has use left in it. I donated it a local highschool automotive program. Anybody else deal with this?

Donation allows you to take a tax deduction, plus the chance it'll be back on the road and useful for someone.
thumbsup2.gif

Just crushing a vehicle, especially one that's important to you ... no bueno.

My high school used quite a few different donated cars. If they didn't run. You learned brakes on them. On the Hondas we learned how to take the takata airbags out without dying.

Why is it not running and is the fix expensive? If it can be repaired to run again so you can donate it or drive it yourself, that might be worth the fix. It will depend on the cost/benefit numbers. Donating a non-running vehicle is just transferring junk.

The last thing I want is a neighbor with a bunch of non-running cars sitting around.

Stop playing ignorant...it isn't very becoming.

Cities write their own ordinances. They can make you mow your lawn; you know that!

They even have more power by assigning "designated use areas". The wording can change with location.

MEANWHILE: Why not fix the car....get some new cars to keep the $600 of new parts company.

Cities and neighbors don't want a few homeowners to drag down property values buy having a junk yard on private property and I am one of them. Ed

If you give it to the junkyard, you get the $80.

If you donate it, you get nothing. Plus, there are so many scams in the donation industry.

So, just take the $80 from the junkyard
smile.gif

Putting it on craigslist for "First $100 takes it" didn't cross your mind?

That's a REALLY nice steak dinner.....

I tried to donate my 2002 running F-150 to the local Vo-Tech school this past May. They only take vehicles NO older than 5 years old
shocked2.gif
. It would have been a great vehicle for the students to learn on. There were no major mechanical problems, it only had 70,000 miles on it. I ended up selling it to someone who can do his own mechanical work. For me to pay to have the work done was not worth it.

Whimsey

Have read several stories where the donated car's title didn't get transferred which caused the original owner problems when the car was in an accident.

I've seen and heard that "Nazi" tag used to describe the legitimate actions of governing entities, and I'll take the nazis anyday over individuals who want complete freedom to do what they want to do without regard for the rights of the majority. In every place I have ever lived there has been at least one neighborhood eyesore that has taken extreme measures to remedy.Get a court order, move in equipment to clean the property up, bill the owner and attach the property if the invoice is not paid. For some individuals, that is the only thing they understand. And even that won't end it. They will be back collecting junk in two weeks.I'm thinking of a Jackie Gleason epithet used in Smokey And The Bandit but don't want to be banned. The epithet came just before " couldn't close an umbrella."
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back