Battery pick for Lexus RX330

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get a battery for the wife's Lexus RX330.
I have Auto Zone and O'Reilly nearby.
AZ $176 Duralast Platinum (680CCA). (have AZ rewards + military retired discount)
O'Reilly $169 Super Start (775CCA).
NAPA has moved and don't know where to yet.

Which is the better battery? I think both were 3year battery, I just want the better battery.
There is a 95CCA difference. Should I be concerned about that?

I'll get one and throw it on the CTEK charger/maintainer then plan to install the battery this Friday morning.

Thanks for inputs

I've cheaped out in the past and gone to Walmart to purchase their $89 batteries, they last right around 2 years.
However, over the past decade the price has crept up (around $100 around here last time I took a look) and I've been left stranded without warning 2x due to battery issues that 2nd year.
I have had 3 vehicles in my fleet for this period of time of 10 years.

So, I've been purchasing the "best" battery at O'Reilly that they have in stock.
I haven't special ordered any batteries.
I have right around 3 years on my 1st purchase there and it has been doing great.
I don't know which brand is the "best" overall, but I do know that you will be better off paying the extra $20-$30 and getting the more "premium" battery as they do seem to last longer and give you some indication of when they are going to die on you.

Higher CCA means thinner plates. In most of CA, you want thicker plates to stand up to heat.

You need to compare the weights of the batteries to figure out if a lower CCA battery has thicker plates. Same or more weight, lower CCA means thicker plates, means better battery in hot conditions.

You can also opt for AGM as they are supposedly more robust in heat. I went for the AAP / Carquest AGM which becomes a better deal than AutoZone etc if you can use generous online codes. When I looked at specs, they all seemed to be JCI batteries - Walmart, AutoZone, AAP.

I just put the Bosch Platinum AGM in my 2012 Subaru. With 25% off at pep boys, not too bad a price:

This looks to be your battery but I guessed at the year, 2005:

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/838890/01072/2005/LEXUS/RX%2520330/0/V6-3311%25203.3L%2520DOHC

4yrs free replacement.

Last edited:
If there's a Batteries Plus nearby, get an East Penn Duracell. AAP batteries are also good but I don't like how their posts quickly look like Chia Pets.

Stay close to OEM spec since higher CCA isn't necessary in Cali.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Going for the lower CAA AZ Duralast Platinum now. Makes sense for the thicker plates for California heatwave going on now.
I‘ll get it on the charger maintainer.
Doing this on tablet as my laptop seems to have taken a dump just moments ago.
Thanks again all for the inputs.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Thanks for the info. Going for the lower CAA AZ Duralast Platinum now. Makes sense for the thicker plates for California heatwave going on now.
I‘ll get it on the charger maintainer.
Doing this on tablet as my laptop seems to have taken a dump just moments ago.
Thanks again all for the inputs.

I know this is a little late, but our RX330 has eaten a few batteries over the years ... the Interstate (currently installed) is going on four years (second longest to OEM Panasonic) ... I would put in a plug for Interstate.

If I would be so concerned with heat I'd use a Mylar blanket, and gift wrap it. An 8foot blanket is a buck, reflective properties are impressive, even rf.
I need clozapine...

Is there a good reason why an AGM is necessary for this application?

Id look at the lower end batteries and see how their price and performance compares.

Back.
Ended up getting the Duralast Platinum AGM 24F (710CCA) instead of the 35 size which has been in the Lexus.
$197 on the shelf listed. Seems to have a good bit of weight for its size or I really am old and crunchy.
The battery I'll be removing is an Interstate, about 5 years or so service (guessing). Drops to 11.5 volts after a few days sitting, drops out when trying to crank. Earlier I used the micro jump starter to start it, so time for a new battery.
Plus the son got my laptop working in the short time I was gone. Like usual, never tells me what he did to it. Just says "I dunno dad, I messed with it and it works now".

Thanks all - will have the new installed Friday morning when its cooler out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back