Toyota LC 8-Speed AT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota has always had great luck with going right after the problems like this. Their proactive response always helps ameliorate problems that many other makers allow to fester a bit.

As for their legendary quality, this won't help me or many others who feel they have declined for some time now. Their vehicles have also grown so large and complex they do not really appeal to the original client base any more.

Transmissions are complicated and have lots of parts. Calling the Engineers for the products where I worked calling the engineering dept, the stark truth would rear it's ugly head because some times I would be told it was an engineering F.U.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Toyota has always had great luck with going right after the problems like this. Their proactive response always helps ameliorate problems that many other makers allow to fester a bit.

As for their legendary quality, this won't help me or many others who feel they have declined for some time now. Their vehicles have also grown so large and complex they do not really appeal to the original client base any more.

Competition, regulations etc.
Toyota is average at best when they try to be equal with competition. In Europe their reliability is very often worse then European cars since they have to pack a lot of technology to stay competitive in market where gallon of gas or diesel is between 5 and 8 bucks.
They are reliable when it comes to packing 20 year old technology in the cars. No question about that.

If it's a sensor fault then I don't really see that as a transmission failure.

But in that thread, did the original poster ever explain if he/she drove in a manner that was particularly abusive?

Well it's not a Toyota transmission. Which is probably why Toyota told the the dealer not to open it up and replace the part. Much more labor that way. The manufacturer of the transmission will pay the final cost of the new unit. Not sure if it's an Aisin unit or some other.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Well it's not a Toyota transmission. Which is probably why Toyota told the the dealer not to open it up and replace the part. Much more labor that way. The manufacturer of the transmission will pay the final cost of the new unit. Not sure if it's an Aisin unit or some other.

It's an Aisin AE80F. Aisin is partially owned by the Toyota Group, and is invariably the source of Toyota transmissions.

Watching this video and getting lost in it probably shows how complicated this transmission is. Even he took two weeks to fully understand the transmission and power flow.

Basically it's a 4 gear ravigneaux planetary gearset and 2 speed lepeltier planetary gearset when combined gets 6 speeds but put in more magic dust, newts eyeballs, dragonballs and level 100 wizardry and you can get 8 speeds.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Toyota is majority owner of AISIN and AISIN is supplier of their transmissions.
Same model of transmission is in BMW X1 (tweaked for BMW) and so far no reported issues.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin

Watching this video and getting lost in it probably shows how complicated this transmission is. Even he took two weeks to fully understand the transmission and power flow.

Basically it's a 4 gear ravigneaux planetary gearset and 2 speed lepeltier planetary gearset when combined gets 6 speeds but put in more magic dust, newts eyeballs, dragonballs and level 100 wizardry and you can get 8 speeds.

It may sound complicated, but it has fewer parts than either the GM 8-speed, or the ZF 8-speed. It would be interesting to know what went wrong with the AE80F in the Landcruiser in question.

Unit replacement is the name of the game in the world of Lemon-Law.

They will not risk triggering Lemon-Law by tinkering with a part that may come back for a second and third strike.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Unit replacement is the name of the game in the world of Lemon-Law.

They will not risk triggering Lemon-Law by tinkering with a part that may come back for a second and third strike.

Exactly. Despite the problem they may actually please a customer with fast resolution.

Other makes could learn something.

Interesting that the ZF 8 speeds have such stellar reliability across multiple mfgrs...

Also, I think it's way too early to call it a real problem.

First year in application? Handful of failures?

I mean, every transmission that was ever made has to have some complete failures. No manufacturing process is perfect.

I mean, every transmission that was ever made has to have some complete failures. No manufacturing process is perfect.

Yeah, I was about to say this. One transmission does not mean ssue.
Like I said that transmission is used in that fake BMW X1 and no reported issues.

Ditto. I'm sure every engine considered "anvil tough" had at least a couple blow a rod in the dealers lot. Sell enough units and even six sigma means a bad unit will get by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back