Chrysler to build plant in Mexico...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT1

MEXICO CITY – Chrysler Group LLC says it will invest $550 million to build the Fiat 500 minicar at its assembly plant near Mexico City.

Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne says the new work at its Toluca plant will create 400 jobs. He said Monday the company will begin making the model in December for U.S. and Latin American markets.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon says Chrysler will produce between 100,000 and 130,000 vehicles at the plant, creating about 1,200 indirect jobs. Chrysler says the Mexican government has provided a $400 million incentive package for the project, the majority of it as loans.

Chrysler, controlled by Italian automaker Fiat Group SpA, already employs 2,000 workers to manufacture the PT Cruiser sedan and the Dodge Journey at the factory.

The automaker also has a truck assembly plant in the northern Mexico city of Saltillo.

Nice to see our cash at work....
smirk2.gif

We knew this was coming. It's a bit frustrating, but I suppose when Chrysler really needs to be keep the 500s price as low as possible without sacrificing quality... Lower labor. Oh well... Hopefully in the future they will build cars here, and in Canada. Time will tell. I'd really like to see Ford shift production of the Fusion from Hermosillo to a US based plant, but I guess you shouldn't mess with sucess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say I like the sound of it too much. But I guess Fiat basically owns Chrysler now anyway.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
The engines will be coming from Dundee, MI. IIRC.

It helps a little....

So are most North American VWs. They shut down the plant in Western PA and moved it to Mexico in the early 90s.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Isnt the Focus or the Fushion also made in Mexico???

Focus is made in Wayne Michigan. The fusions final assembly is in Hermosillo, Mexico. It is 50% American, and 50% Mexican content.

The Fiat 500 will be built at the same plant as the PT Cruizer is currently built at. the 500 is sweet! I drove one - the interior is very cool - and the built quality is very high - at least on the ones from Italy. The Ford Fusion is also made in Mexico. so are numerous cars from Nissan (Versa, Sentra) the Focus is made in Michigan.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
The Fiat 500 will be built at the same plant as the PT Cruizer is currently built at. the 500 is sweet! I drove one - the interior is very cool - and the built quality is very high - at least on the ones from Italy. The Ford Fusion is also made in Mexico. so are numerous cars from Nissan (Versa, Sentra) the Focus is made in Michigan.

Mexico can build a good, quality car too. The fusion, Sentra, RAM are prime examples of this.

Great.. Are they going to put that quality control sticker with the smiling face that says made in Mexicoand sell them for half price? If so im buying some..

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I can't say I like the sound of it too much. But I guess Fiat basically owns Chrysler now anyway.

I thought the UAW owned part.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Isnt the Focus or the Fushion also made in Mexico???

yeah...but not paid for with US tax dollars....they closed 2 plants in Ohio right before the bankruptcy...now this? Nice.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Originally Posted By: tomcat27

Mexico can build a good, quality car too. The fusion, Sentra, RAM are prime examples of this.

No doubt...but the question in my mind is why the US taxpayer is paying for it???

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Hopefully in the future they will build cars here, and in Canada.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you....I don't think the CEO of Fiat thinks too highly of Chrysler workers since he referred to them as "lazy" the last time he visited the tech center in Auburn Hills on a Saturday and there were no engineers working that day. He could'nt understand why with the company in such financial straits, they were not working overtime to save it.

I'm sure FIAT and the Italians know it all and can save Chrysler from the dumb, lazy Americans just like Mercedes did.

Is Chrysler still a domestic company if it is owned by Italians?
I think not. So should I buy an American-made Korean-owned Kia or a Mexican-made Italian-owned Chrysler??? Hmmmm.

Last edited:
i work at freudenberg-NOK in NH and we make 5 big transmission seals for Chrysler and other smaller seals as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back