Why do people hate lucas products?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that a lot of people are anti-lucas, why?

I've used the oil stabilizer in my truck religiously and it keeps lifter noise to a minimum. And the fuel additive seems to improve milage.''

So why?

Lucas Oil stabilizer is crud. I dunno about their oils. I know the Power Steering stuff did what I wanted it to do, it helped eliminate play in my steering on center.

I've never felt the need to "stabilize" my oil. I don't know what you're hoping to accomplish by using it. Considering that pretty much any engine can go 300k miles on the cheapest conventional oil, I don't see the use/purpose of most oil additives in general.

i was thinking that, but i didn't want to step on toes.

edit: i meant to quote "the test isn't worth anything"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: exranger06
I've never felt the need to "stabilize" my oil. I don't know what you're hoping to accomplish by using it. Considering that pretty much any engine can go 300k miles on the cheapest conventional oil, I don't see the use/purpose of most oil additives in general.

my engine is over 300k, so really anything i can do to keep'er goin, i'm gonna try, you know?

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

The test Bob did is not worth anything

Why do you say that?

well, *my* initial thought would be that an engine's oil pump would be completely submerged and wouldn't be able to introduce the air bubbles like this high speed gear rig.

i'd really like to see what his rig does with motor oil if he filled the box to the 50% mark and fired it up.

Originally Posted By: Sunabozu

Why do you say that?

well, *my* initial thought would be that an engine's oil pump would be completely submerged and wouldn't be able to introduce the air bubbles like this high speed gear rig.

i'd really like to see what his rig does with motor oil if he filled the box to the 50% mark and fired it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Originally Posted By: Sunabozu

Why do you say that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

i would almost bet lefty that motor oil can not cavitate inside the oil pump.

can motor oil even do that, uh, ever?

edit: even if it could, why would making the oil thicker reduce the vapor pressure?

Last edited:
Don't know, but you asked how you could introduce air bubbles when something is completely submerged. But I would bet that motor oil CAN cavitate. Whether or not it can do it inside an oil pump, I have no clue.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Don't know, but you asked how you could introduce air bubbles when something is completely submerged. But I would bet that motor oil CAN cavitate. Whether or not it can do it inside an oil pump, I have no clue.

yeah but even then, it wouldn't be air bubbles, it would be oil vapor, air isn't dissolved in motor oil.

The best thing about LOS is the tackifier elements. It helps it stick to engine surfaces. I'm using GC right now, and the first thing I noticed is how well it clings to the dipstick, unlike most all other oils I've used. I figure this oil has plenty of tackification inherently, so I'm not using LOS right now.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
The best thing about LOS is the tackifier elements. It helps it stick to engine surfaces. I'm using GC right now, and the first thing I noticed is how well it clings to the dipstick, unlike most all other oils I've used. I figure this oil has plenty of tackification inherently, so I'm not using LOS right now.

GC clings because of its Ester content and its natural polar attraction to metal. Any product with a tackifier in it only works while the product is cold (room temp). At operating temps the tackifier is useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back