Number of Spare Magazines You Consider Adequate?

While there will always be the extreme at one end or the other (a few versus a plethora), what do you consider to be a good number of magazines per firearm?

Depends on how many Zombies are in your area, lol.
grin2.gif

I have 2 for each of my pistols and 4 speedloaders for my revolver.

Originally Posted by Bud
I have 2 for each of my pistols and 4 speedloaders for my revolver.

Two? Cain't start a war with only two. Are you really from TEXAS?

Depends on the gun. Your go to weapons you shoot a lot and would depend on in an emergency need a decent supply. I'd say 5+ for handguns and 10+ for rifles. One off range toys and nice to have stuff doesn't need but a few.

For the Glock-1 15 rd in carry (locked & loaded), 1 17 rd in holster and 3 more 17 rd backup.
S&W Shield just the 2 that it cane with
45 1911-I in carry, 1 in holster, 5 backup
there's more but you get the idea

Minimum of 5. Magazine springs and feed lips do go bad and some magazines wear to the point that they fall out! Leading to the chance of a few failures over a lifetime of typical ownership. To that I'd add that 20 is a good round count per defensive gun magazine. 5ea 4 round magazines really won't help you in a confrontation.

Last edited:
A gun that needs a magazine is worthless without one so I always buy a second when I buy the gun. If it turns out that I take it to the range allot I will end up with 4 or 5 maybe more if I am trying to find a better functioning or more rugged mag , if I end up using it in competition I may buy 10 or 12 because I need to function test them all and pick the 6 or 7 that function the smoothest. And if I buy a less than popular gun or caliber that may have a short supported life I pick up a few more. I got burned with a Remington 504 with only 2 mags when Remington decided to discontinue the gun and Mags and I ended up paying $30 per mag for NOS that was $8 before. And if you picked up a 380 LCP or Bodyguard the odds are you will never shoot it enough to wear out 2 or 3 mags.

What's the intent? Spare parts? Saving time reloading at the range? Carrying more ammo on you?

Originally Posted by Donald
I only have a few magazine subscriptions and don't need any spare ones.

I understand people who can't find T.P. are re-purposing their magazines...
lol.gif

Back