First pistol need ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I went to a gun show recently with my friends and really liked the feel of the Glock 19, any suggestions for a pistol of this size? I am open to other brands, seems like most are polymer these days which is fine by me.

If you like the Glock 19, get it. The most important thing is how they feel in your hand. I have a Glock 22 RTF2, a 17RTF2, a 17OD, and a FN Five-Seven. The Glocks are all the same frame size and the FN is pretty close.

Originally Posted by MParr
Take a look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 9 and M&P 9 Compact. You may like the grip better than the Glock.

I agree totally.

Complaints about the infamous Glock "grip feel" are not rare.

I like my G22 2nd gen.... but I sanded the grip down a LOT until it felt "right" to me.

As an aside....

You may not like the "striker fired" triggers of many composite pistols. Some people downright HATE the trigger feel on a Glock.

It really may be worth it to go to a gun range that will let you try several different models, so you can "feel" what feels right when you shoot it.

Originally Posted by hatt
It's hard to go wrong with a Glock 19.

Except for the grip cutout on the gen 5's which made me regret buying mine. I don't know what Glock was thinking.

If you like the feel of the Glock, yes compare it to the competition, but don't cheap out. Too many people buy a crap Taurus or whatever for their first gun, have issues with it and end up paying more money in the end as they buy something else to replace it.

Also check out the Springfield XD line. Both the wife and I have had them for years and are quite comfortable and reliable.

Depends on how often you want to shoot. A full size might be more enjoyable on the range. Oh and before you opt to conceal carry I recommend you listen to "Don't take your guns to town" by Johnny Cash.

Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 9mm
Glock model 45 9mm

There you go. Three excellent full size pistols. Get a full size pistol first. This can be your night stand gun for the rest of your life. If you ever want to carry, then buy a smaller carry gun later as you get more experience. Good carry guns are the Smith&Wesson model 442/642, Glock 42/43, Ruger LCP, among others.

I have an indoor range near me that will let you fire a great selection of pistols if you buy a box of ammo
You might investigate ranges in your area to see if they have a similar set up
I suggest you try several pistols with live ammo firing before you decide

Originally Posted by Linctex
As an aside....

You may not like the "striker fired" triggers of many composite pistols. Some people downright HATE the trigger feel on a Glock.

It really may be worth it to go to a gun range that will let you try several different models, so you can "feel" what feels right when you shoot it.

As a first time buyer he might not have any idea what a good or bad trigger pull is or what right is supposed to feel like. I'll take a pistol that grips and points well and learn the trigger (if it's within reason).

OP, FWIW Glock is the brand people love to hate.

Also worth mentioning that, while demand for the Glocks is high enough that they're rarely put on sale, both the Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 9mm and the Springfield XD Mod 2 9mm can be had for $350 on sale. That's a good deal on either of those. They're both "top tier" pistols and are considered by most people to be the equal of the Glock (which is considered the industry standard) in reliability and build quality.

And if you're willing to go with a .40 instead of a 9mm, I know you can get the M&P for $299. That's a great deal. (Not sure about the .40 XD.)

Also, S&W has been offering rebates lately. Check their website.

As an aside....

I will add most people end up with several guns over the years.

I picked up an S&W M&P for a great price a few years ago. I have been very happy with it. I didn't care for the feel of the Glocks.
I was just looking at a Baretta 92FS on sale at my LGS for $550 that I am thinking about. I shot one a few weeks ago and loved it.

As an aside....

Firing a few rounds out of a few pistols by someone with no experience will tell them pretty much nothing. Buy a quality popular gun. Shoot it a lot. By then maybe you'll be in a position to know what works or doesn't for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back