CZ-75 vs HK45 vs FN FNX

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Specifically what I'm looking for is SA/DA with deckcocker and safety. I get it that the cz is interchangeable.

9mm or 45ACP, doesn't much matter as I stock both.

Thoughts/pros/cons on each??

Haven't fired any, but I have put a lot of rounds through a 9mm HK USP.

Opinions? Anyone own more than one of these?

I have the CZ75 but I deliberately bought the non-decocker model since it has a slightly better trigger.

Any reason you didn't include Sig or the Beretta 92FS in your mix?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I have the CZ75 but I deliberately bought the non-decocker model since it has a slightly better trigger.

Any reason you didn't include Sig or the Beretta 92FS in your mix?

Own an m9 labeled 92, sig 226 is something I'd like to own, but already have a 229 (DAK though).

I don't own a cz.

Love my CZ. It's the SP01 non-Tactical model. It is easily my go to gun for shooting at the range.

The weight and size make it have the recoil of a 22 pistol and there's just something satisfying about hammer fired guns in a world where polymer striker fired is the norm.

With MecGar +2 mags I can have 19+1 capacity as well.

The extremely low bore axis can't be beat either.

My Beretta M9 would be next in line. I have some metal upgrade parts coming in soon as the plastic trigger feels rough on my finger.

for the money the FNX9 is a good buy, not a hardcore gun guy but i can say it works!! being a bit lighter too

I have the CZ 75BD which has a decocker but not a mechanical safety. It is a DA/SA, and given the long heavier pull from the decocker position I feel a safety is not necessary. As AZjeff said you should really handle the CZ as it is acclaimed for its hand feel, as well as its natural pointing, durability, and accuracy - a real fun gun to shoot.

It is also a real pretty gun!

Tom

SA/DA are just a bad idea for someone who is reasonably serious in SD. Long trigger pull for the first shot and subsequent shots a different pull with no predictable or even any reset. If its not for SD fine but what's the point?

Last edited:
HK45, if you want the option to change trigger setup later: the standard safety + decock, LEM, or just safety or just decock. CZ's either safety or decock and you can get parts to change between them if you buy one with the omega trigger setup. I don't know anything about the FNX.

Shooting steel-framed non-omega CZ was more enjoyable than polymer HKs, but I don't carry.

Originally Posted By: Al
SA/DA are just a bad idea for someone who is reasonably serious in SD. Long trigger pull for the first shot and subsequent shots a different pull with no predictable or even any reset. If its not for SD fine but what's the point?

Carrying for SD without a double strike pistol is a worse idea.

Originally Posted By: Al

SD has nothing to do with it. It's just a variant that I desire. Have DAO, striker and 1911.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Opinions? Anyone own more than one of these?

I have the CZ-75 in just about every configuration there is. All in 9 MM. I think these guns have about the best out of the box triggers on the market today. I never held, shot, or owned one that didn't feel and shoot like an extension of my hand. The ergonomics of the gun simply couldn't be better. And they are built like a tank, and run like a Rolex.

Originally Posted By: TTK
Carrying for SD without a double strike pistol is a worse idea.

For someone that is untrained. I doubt you wil find anyone that knows what they are doing agree with you. When it goes click you tap and rack. Takes less than a second. If a second strike is necessary with your pistol its not guaranteed that a second strike will be necessary. And if a "tap" is necessary you will be pulling the trigger again and again. At that point you might just as well ait for the police.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Decocking pistols are the safest semis to carry.

Why?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
SD has nothing to do with it. It's just a variant that I desire. Have DAO, striker and 1911.

Fair enough. Nice looking pistol!~

Last edited:
I have the pre-HK45 in USP Compact, had it about 15 years now. It's not exactly a tiny gun for concealed carry, but it will definitely get the job done with a shoulder holster and a light coat. It's a really nice gun to shoot, I have never adjusted the sights since new and it will put a full magazine under a silver dollar at 25' with little effort. I carry Federal Guard Dogs @ 185gr for some extra speed but mainly reduced recoil without losing stopping power. The HK45C 10-round mags are identical to the USP Compact mags but carry 2 more rounds, so there's that.

Probably the smallest, most concealable 45 I ever had was a Taurus Millenium Pro- it could literally be entirely covered by my outstretched hand, but it wasn't as accurate to shoot. I'm sure the CZ and FN are nice, but I bought my HK when I was young and impressionable by the movies, Angelina Jolie in silver spandex with twin HK USP Match's sealed the deal
smile.gif

I own two CZ's and a FNX 45. They are both great guns but and really are what I consider to be men's fighting pistols. That is where the similarities end though. They are very unique in their own ways and are very different from your standard Glock or M&P type pistol.

The CZ's have much better ergonomics and a much more precise, hand crafted, sturdy, all metal feel to them. The CZ's really inspire confidence through ergonomics and precise design. The FNX 45 by comparison, has a really weird feeling of being both large yet flimsy. That being said, it is 100% reliable, has a great grip and is a workhorse of a 45 that you aren't afraid to use and abuse. The FNX is not for small, soft, delicate hands at all; be honest with yourself about that part.

I owned an FNX 45 and sold it (along with an FNX 40 (never fired) and an FNX 9). The FNX45 is a very large pistol (15+1) and even with the smallest backstrap one needs a big hand to hold it (and I have very large hands). Initially, I thought the FNX platform was going to be my "go to" for a utility pistol, but over time, I found I did not care for it. The grip was too rough and after 200 rounds or so, the palms of my hands would feel it and I was never able to be as accurate with them as I was with other platforms.

They are great pistols and I would not hesitate to trust my life with one of them, but I would recommend renting one and shooting a few hundred rounds through it to see how it works for you before deciding. The decocker works as designed and the overall mechanics of the pistol are inline with other brands. My wife found the action on the FNX 9 to be very stiff (even after 500 rounds or so) and she had difficulty racking the slide.

YMMV!

The downside, (if you really want to call it that), to the CZ is weight. The full size guns are 40+ ounces. Even more with the +2 magazines fully loaded. For me I just appreciate all steel pistols more. There is far more craftsmanship in them. A Polymer pistol is what it is. Glock's and H&K plastic guns are very rugged and dependable. But I have enough of them, and when I see a new model of either, nothing inside me gets "triggered" to purchase any more of them. When one is tested in a gun rag, I no longer can even muster up the desire to read the article. Because they're a dime a dozen, and they say the same things about all of them.

Where as every time I see a CZ-75, I'm drawn to it, and immediately want to pick it up. Even if I already have that particular model. To me a CZ is like a classy woman that you have a hard time taking your eyes off of. A Polymer gun is like a noisy teenager wearing too much makeup and too little clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back