Glock 19 gen 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a new one at my LGS Saturday afternoon. Very nice shooter, very nice firearm to own. This is a popular firearm, so I'm interested in hearing from other owners concerning their thoughts and comments.

Have one. I REALLY like it. I'm more accurate with a Glock than any other handgun I've owned. For me no accuracy difference between the 19 and 17 which was surprising.

I own many many Glocks. Good guns. They aren't picky eaters, tons of aftermarket support, take down easy...etc. A 19 is a staple in any flock collection.

I have two of them and they are great pistols. I added the Glock night sights to both them, but otherwise they are all stock. I went from despising Glock to loving them because the G19 G4. I believe that you will love it more and more.

Was my first centerfire pistol. Figured, if I hated, I could sell it easily. Turns out I like it a lot. Very easy to take down (especially compared to my wife's 1911-ish guns), fun to shoot. Seems to be just the right size, I can just get my full hand on the grip, takes the G17 and G18 mags. I did change out the sights for night sights. Initially, I thought I liked 3-dot sights, but in the end, at least at the range where it's lit, I don't look at the dots, just line up the tops.

Is this your first Glock?

People make fun of the Glock 19 for being so common. They call it a beginner's gun. Really, so why has the Glock 19 become a standard, even among professionals? Reasons include the simple operation, low recoil, high capacity, excellent reliability, full-size grip, modular back straps, etc. One criticism is that the Glock 19 is too big for concealed carry, but I'd say that depends on the person and their method of carry. Also, advances in premium 9mm ammo have made it a competitive cartridge. See tnoutdoors9 on YouTube for his many ballistic gelatin tests.

Have a gen3 that I love, my gen4 has had several failures and has been relegated to the lock box due to trust issues.

Originally Posted By: Bruce T
One criticism is that the Glock 19 is too big for concealed carry, but I'd say that depends on the person and their method of carry.

I carry a Gen2 17 and know more than one person who conceals a 34, all in normal people clothing. The right belt and holster is all it takes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MarcS
Originally Posted By: Bruce T
One criticism is that the Glock 19 is too big for concealed carry, but I'd say that depends on the person and their method of carry.

I carry a Gen2 17 and know more than one person who conceals a 34, all in normal people clothing. The right belt and holster is all it takes.

Road trips on the bike - the G34 gets the ride, otherwise it's the G19.

I'm waiting, patiently, for Glock to release the FBI model that doesn't have finger grooves. Maybe one of these decades... the finger grooves have never fit me. Still one of my favorite guns. When they release the next model to the public I will buy 4 or 5 of them to replace my older ones.

glock-17m-2.jpg

I have one Gen 4 G22, I didn't care much for it at first preferring my trusted Gen 3's. But now the Gen 4 is my favorite.

Originally Posted By: 64bawagon
Have a gen3 that I love, my gen4 has had several failures and has been relegated to the lock box due to trust issues.
What type of failures? It would be interesting to hear what is happening with it.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I'm curious also, for I would not own a handgun that I could not trust carrying it.
If it's not trust-worthy, it's out of my ownership.

A glockl that has failures say after 300 rounds needs to go back to the factory yesterday.

My 42 had any number of failures in thej first `50 rounds but has now run at least 1500 with zero failures and that includes 1000 rounds of tulamo

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: 64bawagon
What type of failures? It would be interesting to hear what is happening with it.

On early gen4 9mm's the dual captive recoil spring was sprung too tight to cycle light-loaded 9mm target loads. As that's what most people plink away with, it gave the gen4's an undeserved reputation for poor reliability. The issue was resolved very early on with a revised recoil spring. There was never really an issue with full power ammo and it tended to work itself out with some break in anyway, but the revised spring has been in place for years.

Last edited:
I'd still like to know what the problem was with the original flat-leaf type coil springs that Glock used for three generations.

You don't fix what ain't broke.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back