Kahr CW380 and S&W Bodyguard 380?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my old man got a permit to carry finally. Mostly because he will be riding around in his expensive hot rod and worries about being car jacked. So he wants a small gun to carry.

I am trying to talk him into a Ruger LCR, but he seems set on an automatic. Right now it is between a Ruger LCP, the Kahr CW380 and the Bodyguard 380 from S&W.

Thoughts from those who have owned/shot either of those would be appreciated.I know Kahrs usually need to be broken in quite a bit before they settle down.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Get a tracker on the vehicle.
I won't get into what sidearm

That has already been done. But some people out there will also just murder you when they steal your stuff so you cannot ID them later.

Also agree on a vehicle tracking system.
LCR - Fits the hand well. Wife likes it also. I grew mainly on revolvers though. I plink with a Super Redhawn - I know..
eek.gif

The 380 Kahr I shoot seems a little picky with some ammo. So break in and find the right ammo. Using reloads now and those also took a couple changes to get FTEs down.
Don't know about the Bodyguard but have the M&P Shield in 9mm and its been good. But in 9 I like my SA EMP although more weight.

If you are going for small .380. The LCP is the best choice. They are known for reliability. I have put 1000 rounds through mine and I don't recall one problem.

I carry one of the Kahrs more than any other gun. I shoot it very well and it has proven very reliable. I did run into a couple brands of ammo it didn't like, but it runs like a sewing machine on what it prefers. My carry ammo for it is Double Tap and my practice ammo PMC ball. Mine did not like Fiocchi at all, but it even ran cheap Wolf steel case flawlessly although I don't use it anymore. It didn't need any "break in" that I recall either although I ran quite a few rounds through it before I would carry it.

An acquaintance has a Body Guard and it's a piece of junk. Unfortunate as S&W makes some real good weapons but it isn't one of them. If you don't opt for the Kahr go for Ruger or something else.

The Kahr .380 has an extreme feed ramp angle, the most extreme of any small gun I have ever seen. As such, it jams the bullets back into the case when you load it. I consider the Kahr to be defective and unfixable from the factory, garbage in my opinion.

Out of those three choices, I would pick the LCP.

If he is not a gun guy, the LCR will be a better choice.

Or if it's just a car gun, it doesn't need to be that small. Glock 19 or similar would be perfect.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The Kahr .380 has an extreme feed ramp angle, the most extreme of any small gun I have ever seen. As such, it jams the bullets back into the case when you load it. I consider the Kahr to be defective and unfixable from the factory, garbage in my opinion.

Out of those three choices, I would pick the LCP.

If he is not a gun guy, the LCR will be a better choice.

Or if it's just a car gun, it doesn't need to be that small. Glock 19 or similar would be perfect.

It has to be small...he wants something that can go in a pocket holster. If it was just going to be a car gun, he has that covered with an old P series Ruger semi auto.

It doesn't really matter what other people think he should get. He needs to go to a range that rents guns and find one he likes and can shoot well. He may not like any of the options thrown out here

Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
It doesn't really matter what other people think he should get. He needs to go to a range that rents guns and find one he likes and can shoot well. He may not like any of the options thrown out here

No ranges that rent guns in his area (he lives in the boondocks). Best I can do is just collect as much on reliability and help him pick one that feels good (and goes bang reliably) at the local gun shops.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
So my old man got a permit to carry finally. Mostly because he will be riding around in his expensive hot rod and worries about being car jacked. So he wants a small gun to carry.

I am trying to talk him into a Ruger LCR, but he seems set on an automatic. Right now it is between a Ruger LCP, the Kahr CW380 and the Bodyguard 380 from S&W.

Thoughts from those who have owned/shot either of those would be appreciated.I know Kahr usually need to be broken in quite a bit before they settle down.
I can't fault the LCP. The bodyguard has a heavy trigger that can affect shot placement. I own a Kahr CW380, and I do like it. The Kahr requires a solid grip as it is somewhat tough to rack the slide. If you were in a situation that scared you enough so that your hands perspired, would you still be able to rack the slide, or would your hand slip off. This is a common trait among small frame semis. You will have to rack them yourself to see what you are comfortable with. I own two Smith's and I like them. I don't like the Bodyguard.

My father-in-law has a S&W Bodyguard, and I've shot it a good amount. The trigger is really heavy, and the gun is really small, which makes it very difficult to shoot accurately. I have a Taurus PT709 and my FIL has a Kahr CM9 - both small single stack striker fired 9mm and I shoot both of them much better than the Bodyguard.

He has also had to send the gun back to Smith twice to get the laser fixed.

I carry the Kahr LCP custom and the Kahr P380 both are excellent guns but the p380's trigger blows away the LCP. That's even considering that it's the "custom model" with the better trigger, as the stock LCP trigger is trash. Have had no issues with either in terms of reliability with various types of ammo.

What about the shield? It's on the upper edge of pocket carry size but entirely doable and you get a much better more powerful gun that's easier to shoot.

^^ Have the M&P Shield in 9mm and it's been pretty good. I polished up the ramp before 1st firing so don't know if that made a difference. Been reliable using factory ammo for the 1st 700 rounds, then gone to reloading and no issues.
To me, it would be the smallest I'd carry. Fits the wife's hand well. She had a bit of time racking the slide when new. Also Got another spring for it but it's not for +P ammo, but it does make racking the slide easier.
I clean it after each shooting session, usually average around 200-250 round per range shoot. I'll keep it, but prefer my SA EMP in 9mm.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
^^ Have the M&P Shield in 9mm and it's been pretty good. I polished up the ramp before 1st firing so don't know if that made a difference. Been reliable using factory ammo for the 1st 700 rounds, then gone to reloading and no issues.
To me, it would be the smallest I'd carry. Fits the wife's hand well. She had a bit of time racking the slide when new. Also Got another spring for it but it's not for +P ammo, but it does make racking the slide easier.
I clean it after each shooting session, usually average around 200-250 round per range shoot. I'll keep it, but prefer my SA EMP in 9mm.

Yes I know all about the spring swap, I don't mind it being stiff but I can understand how it would be difficult for others to rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back