Ghost Gunner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ghost Gunner

You buy the 80% completed AR-15 lower receiver and then buy the self contained CNC machine that completes the rest of the 20%. You now have a fully functional lower receiver that has no serial number and is completely untraceable. All the other parts of the AR-15 can be purchased easily online.

Not sure why the tone of your post makes this seem devious. Home manufacture of firearms is and has been legal for decades. This is nothing but technology catching up.

$1,500 CNC
$100 shipping
$65 80% lower

How badly do you need a lower that's "untraceable" and comes without any factory support?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Not sure why the tone of your post makes this seem devious. Home manufacture of firearms is and has been legal for decades. This is nothing but technology catching up.

I can't recall the wording, but there's some legal loophole involving the purchase of a nearly-complete receiver and finishing it at home. However, once the item meets the definition of a firearm, it's required to have a serial number by the ATF's interpretation.

There's no value in that to me, but perhaps someone who's worried about the gubmint boogeyman would see fit to purchase such an item.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
However, once the item meets the definition of a firearm, it's required to have a serial number by the ATF's interpretation.

If you machine it for your own use, there is no requirement that it have a serial number.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Ghost Gunner

You buy the 80% completed AR-15 lower receiver and then buy the self contained CNC machine that completes the rest of the 20%. You now have a fully functional lower receiver that has no serial number and is completely untraceable. All the other parts of the AR-15 can be purchased easily online.

And perfectly legal in most states. What's the problem? Many companies that make the 80% lowers also make a jig that you can use in a normal drill press or standard mill to finish the machining. Nothing new here except the form factor of the tool.

It costs $1500 and you can only legally make lowers for yourself. You can't sell them or give them away, so what's the point really? Criminals aren't going to bother, they just get their guns by whatever illegal means they choose.

How badly do you need a lower that's "untraceable" and comes without any factory support?

Exactly. I think this whole "80% lower" nonsense is all far more trouble than it's worth. You can purchase 100% finished lower receivers on sale for a song from places like CDNN and Palmetto. And they're guaranteed to work correctly. These "kitchen table specials", built on 80% lowers by people with zero machining experience, have as much desirability and resale value as a rusty Gremlin or Pacer. Think about it. Would you buy one?

As far as the government boogey man, that in itself is a joke. If the government wanted your non serialized, home made guns that bad, they would simply legislate you into being a criminal. Just like they're doing in California and New York with 30 round magazines. All it will take is a mass shooting with one of these 80% guns, or a terrorist bomb made with Tannerite from Cabela's, and watch how fast both of them disappear, and become illegal by merely possessing them.

What good is having a serialized fully registered AR-15 when they come and take it from you ?

If you're the registered owner, they know where you live.

Man this is old news for sure! Simple drill press and X-Y vise is all I have and I make them for myself. Been legal for many years.
And Merkava what is this registration you speak of? Never registered a gun in my life. FFL does the form 4473 (background check) and that info is deleted by the FBI within 24 hours by law.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If you're the registered owner, they know where you live.

If that's a concern, buy one privately from a gun show or on line. If you bought it new, tell them you sold it years ago to pay the vet bill when your dog got sick. B.S.'ing is easier, and more cost effective than machining. And let's face it, if they're coming for your guns, they're coming. They're not going to be smiling when you open the door. Regardless of what you own.

Originally Posted By: billt460
If that's a concern, buy one privately from a gun show or on line.

I'm pretty sure they'd call me a felon for buying a gun out of state and then hauling it back to California.

With idiots like this going after your "untraceable" guns and 30 round magazines, do you really think they're "safe" from the gubbermint? As always, common sense is never that common.

Originally Posted By: billt460
With idiots like this going after your "untraceable" guns and 30 round magazines, do you really think they're "safe" from the gubbermint? As always, common sense is never that common.

THERE'S a moron for ya.

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
That is fine as long as you don't sell it,,, except in California.
You can sell it. California so far is O.K so far but the choices in politicians the idiot voters reelect has ruined the state.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I can't recall the wording, but there's some legal loophole involving the purchase of a nearly-complete receiver and finishing it at home. However, once the item meets the definition of a firearm, it's required to have a serial number by the ATF's interpretation.

There's no value in that to me, but perhaps someone who's worried about the gubmint boogeyman would see fit to purchase such an item.
Nope. Read the law .

Who needs a $1500 machine? All you need is a vise and a 3/4 hp drill. Then stamp your own serial number on it.

Last edited:

Yep, and that's why it's being sold. Someone using a firearm for nefarious purposes will toss it into the lake.

Up here, too, you can get a serial number issued for a firearm that never had one in the first place.

Originally Posted By: ATF
Receivers that meet the definition of a “firearm” must have markings, including a serial number. See 27 CFR § 478.92 (Firearm manufacturers marking requirements).

This is right from the ATF's Q&A section on 80% receivers.

Whether you agree with it, or interpret the law differently, is certainly your choice. I don't spend my time worried about the government going door-to-door seizing guns, so this has no value to me. That's another couple thousand dollars that I can save for my lakeside retirement home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back