fuel cleaner with premium

hi people
i read somewhere that its better to use premium fuel when using a fuel cleaner(i use the sl-1)
is it so?
tnx.

Originally Posted by avi1777
hi people
i read somewhere that its better to use premium fuel when using a fuel cleaner(i use the sl-1)
is it so?
tnx.

No reason to use premium in a car that doesn't need it, in most cases it only contains a marginal amount more detergent than regular gas. With premium being as much as $1 more per gallon than regular, I'd skip putting premium in the tank, for as much extra as you pay for a tank of premium you could run buy a second bottle of fuel system cleaner.

tnx but i meant using premium only during the use of a fuel cleaner,not on a regular basis.

hi people
is it so?
tnx.

First off you fuel system doesn't need cleaning. The gas you run through it is clean and on top of that, filtered inside your car. Secondly, no the grade of fuel makes no difference.

Answer: It should be irrelevant.

Side note: The blending rates for additives dispensed at the terminal have been posted on this site before. It's a fact that premium fuel gets more additive.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's better, but I always add premium when I run a fuel cleaner.
I will run a cleaner about once a year in all my cars. I use the Amsoil Cleaner.

I also only use Top Tier Gasoline here in the US. Do you have Top Tier in Israel?

hi people
is it so?
tnx.

Better to use Top-Tier. Premium only needed is the owners manual calls for it.

I use 95 octane which is 100in the u.s and is the lowest octane we get here.we have 95,98 or diesel.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
hi people
is it so?
tnx.

No reason to use premium in a car that doesn't need it, in most cases it only contains a marginal amount more detergent than regular gas. With premium being as much as $1 more per gallon than regular, I'd skip putting premium in the tank, for as much extra as you pay for a tank of premium you could run buy a second bottle of fuel system cleaner.

I wouldn't pay $1.00 more for 93 octane Shell, but I would pay 65 cents more, as I just did buy 13 gallons one hour ago. My vehicles run better on it, versus 87 octane.
My lawnmowers and gas blower and snow blower too.

I use a 20oz bottle of Techron Concentrate every 4K, two fill-ups prior to oil change.

Originally Posted by philipp10
First off you fuel system doesn't need cleaning. The gas you run through it is clean and on top of that, filtered inside your car. Secondly, no the grade of fuel makes no difference.

On the first point here I disagree. IF you only use top tier fuel then perhaps the fuel system cleaner isn't absolutely necessary.
But even so using a good fuel cleaner like sl-1 should help keep pistons and valves cleaner than not using it.

On the original point. No you don't need to use premium fuel. It is sometimes discussed whether higher octane would make an engine run hotter or colder and whether that would help.
But there is no real consensus and it is really theoretical. Using the fuel system cleaner at the recommended octane for your vehicle is what you should do.

Edit: Sorry I see this is in Israel, and 'top tier' fuel is a US thing. The point is the name brand fuels likely are putting adequate cleaning detergents, etc in the fuel. Avoid off-name/no-name fuel stations if you can on a regular basis. But the sl-1 should still benefit you.

Last edited:
I use 95 octane which is 100in the u.s and is the lowest octane we get here.we have 95,98 or diesel.

you are backwards.

your country uses RON, USA is AKI
95 ron = 89 AKI aprox.

if using a techron product average treat levels are aprox 10x the additives in normal gas if used according to directions.

so even if premium(93) had double the additives of regular(87) which it doesnt...

using Premium would not be much different than regular. for the additive concentration.

My understanding is he's just asking if he should use premium gas only when he is using a fuel cleaner.

Just one tankful. Not as a permanent issue.

Since you say you don't have Top Tier gasoline in Israel, I'd be using a cleaner 3-4 times a year.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Side note: The blending rates for additives dispensed at the terminal have been posted on this site before. It's a fact that premium fuel gets more additive.

But it was only a small amount more, the amount of additive in a bottle of fuel system cleaner is far more than what is in top tier gas even, Chevron says that their fuel system cleaner when used one ounce per gallon is about 10x the amount of additive as is in their Chevron gas w/ techron that you get at their gas stations. The blend chart showed that premium only gets like 25% more additive so if you were to use regular Chevron gas with Techron fuel system at 1oz/gal you'd have about 11x the concentration of PEA as is in the fuel normally if you use premium you'd have 11.25x the concentration given that it's like $10-20 more to fill most tanks with premium now it's certainly not worth paying extra for it because it has a marginal amount more detergents, you'd be better off buying regular and doing a double dose of fuel system cleaner if that was your concern.

Use Top Tier 90 non E with 10 ounce bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner every 4 > 7,000 miles . Better to be safe , than sorry in the long run . Mostly for the G.D.I. of the '18 ACCENT we have .

IMG_4490.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand

you are backwards.

your country uses RON, USA is AKI
95 ron = 89 AKI aprox.

if using a techron product average treat levels are aprox 10x the additives in normal gas if used according to directions.

so even if premium(93) had double the additives of regular(87) which it doesnt...

using Premium would not be much different than regular. for the additive concentration.

right for some reason I wrote it backwards my bad

Originally Posted by Gebo
My understanding is he's just asking if he should use premium gas only when he is using a fuel cleaner.

Just one tankful. Not as a permanent issue.

Since you say you don't have Top Tier gasoline in Israel, I'd be using a cleaner 3-4 times a year.

my issue is that I do very short trips 5days a week, 2 trips a day 2 miles each direction total of 4 miles a day in low city speeds,only on Friday and Saturday I do total of 60 miles on the highway,I usually use a fuel cleaner once a year,how many times a year you think I should use it and how important it is to change the oil after?to my knowledge putting it in the tank doesn't effect the oil like using it directly thru the vacuum hose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo

The issue is that the Top Tier designation is a US one. I'd like to believe other countries have similar regulations, but I can't find anything by quick search.

my issue is that I do very short trips 5days a week, 2 trips a day 2 miles each direction total of 4 miles a day in low city speeds,only on Friday and Saturday I do total of 60 miles on the highway,I usually use a fuel cleaner once a year,how many times a year you think I should use it and how important it is to change the oil after?to my knowledge putting it in the tank doesn't effect the oil like using it directly thru the vacuum hose.

I would suggest every 3,000-4,000 miles. Or twice a year. Whichever is more frequent.

Back