Any need for additive if always using TT fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2019 Kia Sorento with the 3.3 V6 engine. Just got it in December and have 3000 miles on it. I have only used top tier fuel since taking possession with 50 miles on odo. Pretty sure the dealer didn't do that when they filled. So with me always using TT fuel, and if I continue to only use TT fuel, would it be necessary to use an additive at some point. I'm partial to Techron. But will it be necessary if always using TT?

Thanks.

Marathon now lays claim to being Top Tier certified. I think their certification is somewhat recent.

I use strictly Shell and Chevron 91 in my 17 Regal GS 2.0T, only time i put a bottle of fuel additive is when going on long road trips, feel like you would get the most benefits during high speed/rpm's.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Malo83
only time i put a bottle of fuel additive is when going on long road trips, feel like you would get the most benefits during high speed/rpm's.
cheers3.gif

I used to think the same thing. Then on here I read a few times how it's better to use it when doing frequent short trips where the detergents have time to sit/dwell on the various fuel system parts instead of flowing right through.

The PEA does its job on fuel injector nozzles after shut-down is what I read here.

Perhaps a "cruder" solvent based potion would be better on long runs at temperature?

Just bought "2 for 1" 20 oz. Techron at AAP today.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Marathon now lays claim to being Top Tier certified. I think their certification is somewhat recent.

No, Marathon has been on that list for years. Problem is, I've never found a Marathon station that actually "advertises" TT fuel, i.e. sticker on their pumps like they're required to do. Their signs actually promote STP fuel additives as being in their fuel. Is that the same as TT ? I don't know.

I use Techron at about 3-6K miles. Seems to keep things cleaned out pretty well. Always use it on long Freeway trips where I'm going to use it all up and get a long continuous clean out at max temp.

Originally Posted by wbwanzer
I have a 2019 Kia Sorento with the 3.3 V6 engine. Just got it in December and have 3000 miles on it. I have only used top tier fuel since taking possession with 50 miles on odo. Pretty sure the dealer didn't do that when they filled. So with me always using TT fuel, and if I continue to only use TT fuel, would it be necessary to use an additive at some point. I'm partial to Techron. But will it be necessary if always using TT?

Thanks.

Even if you use the Mostest-3 for detergency (Mobil/Exxon-BP-Shell), I still use Techron every 3K, or about 500 miles prior to an oil change.

Don't know why everybody is so fanatical about TT fuel stations. We do not have many TT fuel stations here at all, and the one or two that are, are completely out of my way. I run a can of Berrymans or Techron through them ever 4-6 months or whenever I feel like it. Never had any issues to date on the daily drivers. We do have some on the SLK230, but that's a whole can of worms at the moment.

Many folks say to avoid pulling into a gas station when the Fuel tanker is there - or just left.
They say our fuel filters, fuel lines, injectors and fuel pumps will thank us later.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Many folks say to avoid pulling into a gas station when the Fuel tanker is there - or just left.
They say our fuel filters, fuel lines, injectors and fuel pumps will thank us later.

Station fuel is filtered. I fuel up when I need fuel and where it is most convenient/cheap.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
No, Marathon has been on that list for years. ...
Roughly 3 years, I believe. I usually buy Top Tier. The first time I bought Marathon gasoline was in Indiana in September 2017.

Chevron says if you use Chevron with Techron gas on a regular basis, there is no reason to use fuel cleaner additive, including Techron.

Originally Posted by Delta
Don't know why everybody is so fanatical about TT fuel stations. We do not have many TT fuel stations here at all, and the one or two that are, are completely out of my way. I run a can of Berrymans or Techron through them ever 4-6 months or whenever I feel like it. Never had any issues to date on the daily drivers. We do have some on the SLK230, but that's a whole can of worms at the moment.

Top Tier fuel is certified to have enough detergent to significantly reduce the amount of deposits (unwashed gums) on valves, injectors, ect, this prevents a decrease in engine performance, and emissions.

My truck uses top tier and a bottle of Amsoil pi every 5K. My wife's Pilot she uses top tier sometimes and also gets Amsoil pi every 50% olm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back