Odd experience - Fuel bubbling out of the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use this gas station all the time. I never use the pumps at the very end though. There are 8 pumps and I avoid 7 and 8 because they are out of sight for the cashier so to avoid credit card fraud, I avoid using those ones.

Today though, the gas station was busy and that side freed up so I decided to fill up there. I filled up the gas without any hassle and at a click, removed the nozzle. the fuel started coming out of the tank as if someone pushing air from the bottom of the tank. The view was similar to the ones that you see at gas wells. About 4-8oz of fuel must have spilled. I have no idea what happened. Is this an issue with my car tank or the pump?

The lady before me who pumped at that pump was also wiping something there but I didn't see exactly what because another car was blocking my view. When I told the attendant, he says, I am the first person reporting. I don't remember if there was already fuel on the floor or water.

Anybody has an educated guess what must have happened here? This is the first time I experienced this. The pump handle also smelled like fuel and my hand smelled like fuel until I came home and washed. It has happened rarely with me

Last edited:
I had splash back at one station,

Occasionally the handles and shutoff are bad.

No different than if you topped off the tank too far.

This has happened to me before. The pump handle is supposed to stop flow as pressure builds to a set point to prevent over filling. But if something is wrong with the pump handle or the handle doesn't create a good seal (it "thinks" there's less fuel then there actually is) then the pump can overfill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back