New Delphi 500+ bar GDi system cuts particulates up to 50% without engine change

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/09/20190911-delphigdi.html

Screenshot_20190911-155536_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190911-155550_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190911-155612_Chrome.jpg

Originally Posted by Imp4
That's 7300 psi.
Don't let that fail on you catastrophically....

Beat me to it...at that pressure a pinhole leak will cut through ... a lot of things.

they don't need another problem DI system but both port + DI some are already using!!

Originally Posted by benjy
they don't need another problem DI system but both port + DI some are already using!!

As much as I agree, it will never happen. Port + DI is too complex, and costs too much money. I almost wonder why they don't go back to an enrichment-style system, like the early Toyota's and others. A single injector, mounted just behind the throttle body, that sprayed fuel when the engine was cold. In theory, couldn't this single injector be used to momentarily spray an evenly-distributed mist of fuel across the intake valves? That would coat the valves with fuel and break down any deposits that may build up. It wouldn't have to run constantly, just once every few hundred miles under high-load situations where intake velocity is high to aid in deposit removal.

Toyota is all in on their D-4S system which uses MPI and DI. Ford has licensed the system from Toyota and Denso. Supposedly Mazda figured out how to keep valve deposits at bay.

I can see GM and VW adopting this new Delphi system - given GM's ties to Delphi when it was spun off in the 1990s and VW having to comply with Euro standards which will more than likely clamp down on PM emissions. China, which is one of VW's most important markets also follows Euro specs.

I've never had deposit issues with any of my GDI vehicles and some have approached 200K miles.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Well that's cool. I wonder how many pulses per sec.

I was wondering that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back