Q: Easiest way to get some isoparaffins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is adding some higher octane gasoline the cheapest and easiest way to put as much isoparafffins into my fuel tank. I would purchase it directly but no search seems to bring up such a chemical for sale. Thank you.

First, why do you want to do this - what are you trying to accomplish / avoid?

Second, both isoparrafins and aromatics have higher octane values. Each batch of gasoline is blended to balance production of all various components vs all specifications required, so no, simply using higher octane fuel does not guarantee increased isoparrafins.

Third, maybe you can purchase isooctane - ask friends in your areas that are into high HP racing. That and maybe isoheptane would be the only isoparrafins I can think of that purchasing seperately and adding to a gasoline mixture might be in any way practical to a point. But to what point?

I used to buy Xylene from the paint supply house to mix in my race gas in my turbo Mustang drag car.

Mothballs are made of naphthalene, a polyvyclic aromatic, or 1,4- dichlorobenzene a chlorinated aromatic.

Last edited:
One of the problems you can run into with your own fuel blending is getting a large difference between research octane and motor octane numbers. This can result in good bench numbers but horrible pre-ignition performance at speed, ruining an engine over time. This occurred in Europe some decades ago resulting in a lot of engine issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back