How to use Techron effectively?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

What is the effective way for using Techron? The motor has 40000 miles on it with zero use of non top-tier gas but recently the engine has a bit of random shaking when idling. Gonna try the chevron stuff to see if it helps.

Do I need to rev the engine to maximum speed more frequently for maximum cleaning? Is it better to add the stuff before or after doing an oil change? Any thing I need to note for using such kind of product?

Thank you,
John

I generally add Techron or Gumout Regane (both of which are PEA cleaners) to my gas when I'm nearing an oil change because it is thought that the cleaning can put the contaminates into the oil.

I like to use these cleaners when I will be doing some short trip driving so that the cleaner gets to soak the valves (rather than a long highway run where there is less time for the valves to be in contact with the cleaner).
I also prefer using these cleaners in hotter weather.

I once asked the Gumout people if my theory about using their product in short trip driving was more effective and they said it didn't matter....I guess that was to be expected but I still feel it's beneficial to do it that way.

Originally Posted By: johnchui1984
Hello everyone,

What is the effective way for using Techron? The motor has 40000 miles on it with zero use of non top-tier gas but recently the engine has a bit of random shaking when idling. Gonna try the chevron stuff to see if it helps.

Do I need to rev the engine to maximum speed more frequently for maximum cleaning? Is it better to add the stuff before or after doing an oil change? Any thing I need to note for using such kind of product?

Thank you,
John

Simple 3 step process.
1) put on glasses
2) read label
3) follow directions on label

Just wanna hear more suggestions!
laugh.gif

I like this 3 step process but I would add after reading to 4) pour into gas tank,5) dispose or recycle old plastic container,6)get a window stickers that gives a +5 to the horsepower AND lastly
jump up and down frantically with joy and excitement as you are only a key turn away from automotive utopian heaven. If someone stops to see what all the commotion is about just look them straight in the face and tell them you dug a hole out of Federal Prison,your friend left you a car with a full tank of fuel and you have just added Techron so they will never catch you. Look to your left then your right,smile and tell him you gotta bug out!

Originally Posted By: johnchui1984
I think the ratio is 1 ounce of cleaner to 1 ounce of gas? Isnt it better for them to mix if you fuel from nearly empty to max fuel capacity?
shocked2.gif
It’s closer to 1oz to 1 gallon of gas. I think 12oz treats about 15 gallons.

Two things I like to do is one do it at the end of the OIC and two do I when you have the car out on the road for a long trip not in town doing sever service. I put it in the tank just as I'm starting trip I don't like short tripping with it at all. It seems to work for me. Oh and it beats the heck out of the $160 plus dollar injection cleaning the dealership offers me which is very likely the same thing.

Last edited:
12 ounce bottle in tank when almost empty, drive it to near empty prior to refilling. I usually do it a few tanks prior to an oil change but unsure if that even matters.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Two things I like to do is one do it at the end of the OIC and two do I when you have the car out on the road for a long trip not in town doing sever service. I put it in the tank just as I'm starting trip I don't like short tripping with it at all. It seems to work for me. Oh and it beats the heck out of the $160 plus dollar injection cleaning the dealership offers me which is very likely the same thing.

Several years back a stealership I knew had a $80 injector cleaning special which was a can of BG dumped into the gas tank. What a scam.

Just my 2 cents, but you may want to try cleaning the throttle bodies. The symptoms you describe seem to be a common when throttle bodies get dirty.

I think the idea is to use a PEA fuel cleaner on a regular basis with a big blast maybe once a year.

Even with top-tier gas I still use the stuff but I make sure it has PEA.

I friend that buys and sells used cars swears by pouring about 3-4 ounces in the airbox on the downstream side of the filter so that it gets sucked directly into the engine as you drive. He said the engine will sometimes run rough for a few seconds but it clears up right away. He calls it the lazy man's fuel system clean up. He suspects that dealerships sometimes do this and charge for cleaning the fuel injectors in mild cases.

Seafoam can be used in your cars tank up to 25% I was told. 50% if using a induction cleaning device. What ever that is. SO put 2 to 3 in your full tank. So people that use a can in a 1/4 tank just clean for a short duration, 2 to 3 cans in a full tank clean for a longer duration.

http://seafoamsales.com/faq-ask-jim/

My car has a 16 gallon tank. I buy the Techron labeled for up to 20 gallons. Pour it in, fill the tank, drive the car. Very technical.....

Go to the gas station drop in a bottle fill the tank, run it down to about 1/8th of tank, and refill with gas w/o Techron. Normal driving without extended highway runs seems to work best. Some people believe that way the product has time to "soak in." In a problem application repeat the process giving one tank full [untreated] between treatments.

There are two theories on this.

1. Add Techron before a long trip to a full tank. This will keep the Techron in continuous flow and clean better.

2. Add Techron if you will be doing a lot of stop and go driving. This will allow the Techron to "soak in" between runs and break down anything built up.

Both of these many times are said to be done ~500 miles before an oil change so that any contaminates that get into the oil will get changed out.

Or you can follow the bottle. Add to a full tank of gas and drive like you normally do.

Me personally, I add a bottle of PEA cleaner every 5000 miles (I have a bunch of Gumout All in One that I am using) to both my car and truck.
The 5000 miles falls in line with the OCI on my car, so I usually do run it just before an oil change (only 1/2 a bottle since a bottle of AIO treats 35 gallons). It is more a convince factor that me being worried about oil contamination.

I also use it in my motorcycle, but at a constant 1/2 oz per 3 gallon tank (normal "cleaning" ratio for AIO is 1 oz/3.5 gallons) just because I have a bunch of it (~15 bottles still).

Originally Posted By: Mainia
Seafoam can be used in your cars tank up to 25% I was told. 50% if using a induction cleaning device. What ever that is. SO put 2 to 3 in your full tank. So people that use a can in a 1/4 tank just clean for a short duration, 2 to 3 cans in a full tank clean for a longer duration.

http://seafoamsales.com/faq-ask-jim/

Techron > Seafoam.

Thanks for your experience and thanks to everyone! I think I will try the techron first and maybe clean the throttle body. I have never heard of seafoam so I would like to research a bit more info on it in advance

I took my wife food shopping this afternoon and planned on filling up with gas in NJ which is 8 miles away because it's cheaper ($2.43 vs. $2.69).
I'm due for an oil change soon as I plan on taking my 2014 Focus to Florida after Christmas. I added 14 oz. of Techron (what was left in the 32 oz. bottle I had) before driving to NJ (there was about 5 gallons in my tank at that time). I know this sounds hard to believe but I definitely noticed a difference about halfway to NJ...the car seemed to run smoother.

I laugh sometimes at guys who claim that their cars run smoother on certain oils (of the same viscosity) but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a placebo effect. I haven't ran much PAO cleaner in my Focus because it's a DI and the valves don't benefit from it but I think I'll run it before every oil change from now on....It seems that short run on the PEA concentrated gas made a noticeable difference in the injectors...(the car broke 30K today)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back