FL-22 vs. other Green Asian HOAT Coolants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was working on a 2013 Elantra that was due for a cooling system service. The manual only specified an ethylene glycol coolant with no additional detail. Surprisingly, Hyundai also specifies a very long interval for the first coolant change - 120K.

So, I decided to use a green Asian HOAT coolant. I had some Motorcraft Specialty Green Engine Coolant leftover from another vehicle (a Mazda calling for FL-22) so I decided to use it for this Elantra. Of course I was a little short, so I made up the difference with Nissan Green Coolant.

However, this is where I am confused: most Asian HOAT green coolants specify a shorter service life than the premixed blue Asian coolants. Hyundai recommends generic Ethylene Glycol coolant yet specifies a very long interval (they are an outlier). However, some of the green Asian coolants such as Fl-22 have a service life that is similar to the Blue Coolants. Does anyone have any additional info on the chemistry of FL-22? Is it more similar to the blue coolants? Or are all Asian HOAT coolants the same (regardless of color) and the water quality has a greater impact on coolant service life.

When AZ recently had their CLEARANCE on Pentosin AFs I did some reading trying to figure out why the concentrates (A1 and A2) are 'Long Life' and the pre-mixed A3 and A4 are 'super long life' when all of them are phosphated HOAT coolants. I remember reading a post (I believe it was by PonderosaTX) which stated that the original P-HOATs were later improved with an updated formula which accounted for their 'super long life' capability.

When I spoke to a tech guy at Pentosin he told me the LL (original formulas A1 and A2) could be used for whatever mileage was recommended by the manufacturer originally. I'm taking that to mean that they are good for 3 to 5 year and up to 100K.

Critic:
I'm surprised that nobody else has opined on this topic. To answer your question....from my reading...Mazda's FL-22 is identical to Motorcraft's 'Specialty Green' and both are "super long life coolants"....in fact PonderosaTX (I think) stated that FL-22 is probably closer to Toyota Pink SLL than Zerex Asian is. I'm not sure if the Nissan AF is LL or Super LL but I think your 'mix' will work for at least 70K/4years....both are P-HOATS....the FL-22 is a second generation version which are often good for 10 years...the other (Nissan) may be (I'm not sure) a '1st gen' which were good for at least 5/60K.

I'd like to hear what my friend 'SayJac' , who is up to date on his 'coolant info' thinks of my assumptions.....I think you'd do well by following his recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back